Folder security in XP Pro

Not being too technical I need help. Desperately need help in making a
folder secure. It is on my home machine that has XP Pro installed. All the
family have access to the machine and folders etc. I do however have one
folder that I want to restrict to just being viewed by myself. Is this
possible? I also need to be sure that it will backup along with all the
other files and folders when I back up.

Someone has recommended http://www.cypherix.com/cryptainerle/ as a solution
but I suspect there must be a facility within XP itself to do this but I
just dont know where.

There are many ways to achieve this. Simplest is via NTFS restricted to
local groups you set up on your machine. "Use the Welcome screen" must be
turned off (Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or
off) so that each user can use his/her own account to login.

To further secure a folder, you could toggle EFS (Encrypting File System)
via Properties > General > Advanced > Encrypt contents to secure data. Make
sure you backup the private key just in case.

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

Mike Scanlan wrote:
> Not being too technical I need help. Desperately need help in making a
> folder secure. It is on my home machine that has XP Pro installed. All the
> family have access to the machine and folders etc. I do however have one
> folder that I want to restrict to just being viewed by myself. Is this
> possible? I also need to be sure that it will backup along with all the
> other files and folders when I back up.
>
> Someone has recommended http://www.cypherix.com/cryptainerle/ as a solution
> but I suspect there must be a facility within XP itself to do this but I
> just dont know where.

Like Win2K, WinXP's file security model uses the method of explicitly
assigning file/folder permissions to individual users and/or groups.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
;Q308419]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
files/folders.

Best Practices for Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

As a crude work-around, you can place the file in a compressed
folder, and set a password to uncompress the folder to view/access its
contents.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Do you log in separately from your family members? If you each have
specific accounts, I think it can be done by setting the folder as private.
I'm fairly sure this is right but it might be worth checking google or
waiting for comments from others.

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:23:20 -0700, Bruce Chambers wrote:

> Like Win2K, WinXP's file security model uses the method of explicitly
> assigning file/folder permissions to individual users and/or groups.

> HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
> Folders
> ;Q308419]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

Mr. Chambers,

In browsing this ng I saw that this thread is asks the same question I
have. But I'm having a problem not answered in the MSDN, Windows Help
or the article you reference
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419#4).
Under advanced settings in folder options, there is no "Use simple
file sharing [Recommended]". I even went through the Add New Windows
Component screen in case something pertaining to security had been left
off. This laptop belongs to a volunteer organization and is a dual boot
Fedora Linux/XP Home SP2 with wireless networking, but no domain. Have
you any further suggestions on how I can gain access to the file
permissions?

--
L. Raymond

L. Raymond wrote:

> Mr. Chambers,
>
> In browsing this ng I saw that this thread is asks the same question I
> have. But I'm having a problem not answered in the MSDN, Windows Help
> or the article you reference
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419#4).
> Under advanced settings in folder options, there is no "Use simple
> file sharing [Recommended]". I even went through the Add New Windows
> Component screen in case something pertaining to security had been left
> off. This laptop belongs to a volunteer organization and is a dual boot
> Fedora Linux/XP Home SP2 with wireless networking, but no domain. Have
> you any further suggestions on how I can gain access to the file
> permissions?

WinXP Home has no option for disabling Simple File Sharing. You might
try rebooting into Safe Mode and logging in as Administrator to have
better access to WinXP Home's file/folder permissions. You can also
give this very useful tool a try:

MS-MVP Doug Knox's Security Console

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:54:39 -0700, Bruce Chambers wrote:

> WinXP Home has no option for disabling Simple File Sharing. You might
> try rebooting into Safe Mode and logging in as Administrator to have
> better access to WinXP Home's file/folder permissions.

That was exactly what I needed; thanks.

--
L. Raymond

L. Raymond wrote:

> That was exactly what I needed; thanks.

You're welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

L. Raymond wrote:

> In browsing this ng I saw that this thread is asks the same question I
> have. But I'm having a problem not answered in the MSDN, Windows Help
> or the article you reference
> (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419#4).
> Under advanced settings in folder options, there is no "Use simple
> file sharing [Recommended]". I even went through the Add New Windows
> Component screen in case something pertaining to security had been left
> off. This laptop belongs to a volunteer organization and is a dual boot
> Fedora Linux/XP Home SP2 with wireless networking, but no domain. Have
> you any further suggestions on how I can gain access to the file
> permissions?
Hi

This setting is not available for Windows XP Home.

If you look at the "APPLIES TO" section of KB308419, you will see
that it only lists "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition".

For Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in
safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative
rights to have access to the Security tab.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: