Using 1152x864 resolution has black lines and squares in U..

Does anyone know why I cannot use 1152x864 resolution (32bit) without
these annoying graphic glitches (look like from shadows?)? If I lower
to 1024x768 resolution, they don't appear. I tried disabling both FSAA
and Anisotropic for 1152x864 resolution, but they were still there. I
have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst v4.5 driver. I
cannot go higher because I would be downgraded to 60hz refresh rate
which flickers to my eyes. 1152x864 is the highest I can go for 75hz
refresh rate on my Samsung 763mb 17" monitor. I also have all graphic
details cranked to the maximum in the game.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion,
and a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite,
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
( ) a returned e-mail.
8 answers Last reply
More about using 1152x864 resolution black lines squares

    On 5/24/2004 3:41 PM ANTant@zimage.com brightened our day with:

    >Does anyone know why I cannot use 1152x864 resolution (32bit) without
    >these annoying graphic glitches (look like from shadows?)? If I lower
    >to 1024x768 resolution, they don't appear. I tried disabling both FSAA
    >and Anisotropic for 1152x864 resolution, but they were still there. I
    >have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst v4.5 driver. I
    >cannot go higher because I would be downgraded to 60hz refresh rate
    >which flickers to my eyes. 1152x864 is the highest I can go for 75hz
    >refresh rate on my Samsung 763mb 17" monitor. I also have all graphic
    >details cranked to the maximum in the game.
    >
    >Thank you in advance. :)

    Is this something you can take a screenshot of? Because if you can't
    get a screenshot then its probably a monitor problem, if you have a LCD
    monitor it might just not like that resolution.

    --
    "I'm not made of money, we'll swim to Oakland"

    Steve [Inglo]

    <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know why I cannot use 1152x864 resolution (32bit) without
    > these annoying graphic glitches (look like from shadows?)? If I lower
    > to 1024x768 resolution, they don't appear. I tried disabling both FSAA
    > and Anisotropic for 1152x864 resolution, but they were still there. I
    > have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst v4.5 driver. I
    > cannot go higher because I would be downgraded to 60hz refresh rate
    > which flickers to my eyes. 1152x864 is the highest I can go for 75hz
    > refresh rate on my Samsung 763mb 17" monitor. I also have all graphic
    > details cranked to the maximum in the game.

    It would help if you mentioned the brand and type of monitor. Any LCD not
    running at native resolutions has issues of some kind. I don't know of any
    LCD with a native resolution of 1152x864. They go 1024x768 14-15", 1280x1024
    17-19", 1600x1200 20 +". CRT's should not do this at 1152x768.

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 03:24:55 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
    wrote:

    ><ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know why I cannot use 1152x864 resolution (32bit) without
    >> these annoying graphic glitches (look like from shadows?)? If I lower
    >> to 1024x768 resolution, they don't appear. I tried disabling both FSAA
    >> and Anisotropic for 1152x864 resolution, but they were still there. I
    >> have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst v4.5 driver. I
    >> cannot go higher because I would be downgraded to 60hz refresh rate
    >> which flickers to my eyes. 1152x864 is the highest I can go for 75hz
    >> refresh rate on my Samsung 763mb 17" monitor. I also have all graphic
    >> details cranked to the maximum in the game.
    >>

    >It would help if you mentioned the brand and type of monitor. Any LCD not
    >running at native resolutions has issues of some kind. I don't know of any
    >LCD with a native resolution of 1152x864. They go 1024x768 14-15", 1280x1024
    >17-19", 1600x1200 20 +". CRT's should not do this at 1152x768.

    OP says it's a "Samsung 763mb 17" monitor," Augustus. And,
    presumably, it wouldn't be an LCD monitor or he wouldn't be having
    problems with a 60Hz refresh rate.

    patrickp

    Inglo <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote:
    > On 5/24/2004 3:41 PM ANTant@zimage.com brightened our day with:

    > >Does anyone know why I cannot use 1152x864 resolution (32bit) without
    > >these annoying graphic glitches (look like from shadows?)? If I lower
    > >to 1024x768 resolution, they don't appear. I tried disabling both FSAA
    > >and Anisotropic for 1152x864 resolution, but they were still there. I
    > >have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst v4.5 driver. I
    > >cannot go higher because I would be downgraded to 60hz refresh rate
    > >which flickers to my eyes. 1152x864 is the highest I can go for 75hz
    > >refresh rate on my Samsung 763mb 17" monitor. I also have all graphic
    > >details cranked to the maximum in the game.
    > >
    > Is this something you can take a screenshot of? Because if you can't
    > get a screenshot then its probably a monitor problem, if you have a LCD
    > monitor it might just not like that resolution.

    Yeah, I can. I will try to get one later tonight. I am at work so I
    can't do it right now. :(
    --

    "patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 03:24:55 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > ><ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    > >> Does anyone know why I cannot use 1152x864 resolution (32bit) without
    > >> these annoying graphic glitches (look like from shadows?)? If I lower
    > >> to 1024x768 resolution, they don't appear. I tried disabling both FSAA
    > >> and Anisotropic for 1152x864 resolution, but they were still there. I
    > >> have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW (128 MB) with Catalyst v4.5 driver. I
    > >> cannot go higher because I would be downgraded to 60hz refresh rate
    > >> which flickers to my eyes. 1152x864 is the highest I can go for 75hz
    > >> refresh rate on my Samsung 763mb 17" monitor. I also have all graphic
    > >> details cranked to the maximum in the game.
    > >>

    > >It would help if you mentioned the brand and type of monitor. Any LCD not
    > >running at native resolutions has issues of some kind. I don't know of
    any
    > >LCD with a native resolution of 1152x864. They go 1024x768 14-15",
    1280x1024
    > >17-19", 1600x1200 20 +". CRT's should not do this at 1152x768.
    > >

    > OP says it's a "Samsung 763mb 17" monitor," Augustus. And,
    > presumably, it wouldn't be an LCD monitor or he wouldn't be having
    > problems with a 60Hz refresh rate.
    >
    > patrickp
    >
    > patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

    Do you have the latest drivers for the screen loaded? Is 1153x864 at 75hz a
    native resolution for this screen or are you forcing it?

    Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote:

    > "patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 25 May 2004 03:24:55 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > ><ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message
    > > >>

    > > >It would help if you mentioned the brand and type of monitor. Any LCD not
    > > >running at native resolutions has issues of some kind. I don't know of
    > any
    > > >LCD with a native resolution of 1152x864. They go 1024x768 14-15",
    > 1280x1024
    > > >17-19", 1600x1200 20 +". CRT's should not do this at 1152x768.
    > > >

    > > OP says it's a "Samsung 763mb 17" monitor," Augustus. And,
    > > presumably, it wouldn't be an LCD monitor or he wouldn't be having
    > > problems with a 60Hz refresh rate.

    > Do you have the latest drivers for the screen loaded? Is 1153x864 at 75hz a
    > native resolution for this screen or are you forcing it?

    The highest it can go is 1280x1024 at 60hz. I can't force it 75hz. I do have
    the latest Catalyst drivers and monitor drivers (a bit old from the Web site).
    And yes, this is a CRT monitor (forgot to say SynchMaster). See
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067DN6/ref=e_de_a_smtpd/002-8674206-4462434?v=glance&s=electronics&vi=tech-data for details. :)
    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion,
    and a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite,
    that could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
    ( ) a returned e-mail.

    > OP says it's a "Samsung 763mb 17" monitor," Augustus. And,
    > presumably, it wouldn't be an LCD monitor or he wouldn't be having
    > problems with a 60Hz refresh rate.
    >
    > patrickp
    >
    > patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

    Hmm...didn't notice that. Thanks

    Weird, it is not showing the graphic glitches this time. Not sure what
    happened. Hopefully, they are gone forever. :) If they do, then I will
    screen capture and follow-up. Thanks all! :)

    --
    "Ants. There's a size for every picnic, a colour for every occasion,
    and a bite to let you know that they are there. Apart from the bite,
    that could describe a Basenji pretty well." --Len Reddie
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
    ( ) a returned e-mail.

Radeon Resolution ATI Graphics