The ideal "Security Suite" for XP Pro SP2

duane

OK, Does anyone have any idease on all the different security features that
would make the ideal "Security Suite" for Windows XP Pro SP2?

I have Spybot S&D installed, Norton Internet Security Suite 2005
(nightmare), AVM, Adaware. I ended up turing off the Norton firewall as it
was just too confusing and continue to use thier anit-virus and spam
protection on Outlook 2002 (that works good). I then went back to the XP
built-in firewall and turned it on. There are just too many choics and
options to try and stay secure and they come up with windows too often to
allow-this / deny-this, etc....

I do not think I am alone out there and any great ideas would be so
appreciated!

Thanks much!
Duane

> OK, Does anyone have any idease on all the different security features that
> would make the ideal "Security Suite" for Windows XP Pro SP2?

I removed Norton IS 2005 because of the massive services it loaded and
terrible conflicts with Outlook 2003. Too bad, I have used their products for
14 years, but I think they are slipping.

In its place I now have AVG 7.0 free AV, XP Firewall (have a physical
Netgear firewall/router also).

I am also running MS's new antispy program (really the old Giant program
which is excellent). If it works out well I may reduce some of the other
programs I use: SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, IESpyad, Spybot S&D 1.4 beta,
Adaware 1.05 SE, and a HOSTS file replacement from www.mvps.org. Maybe
overkill, but I never get anything worse than a few tracking cookies and
minor adware debris. I also rely on weekly runs of HijackThis to check on
anything that may have slipped though.

Microsoft's new tool has the greatest user friendly promise for the average
user combined with a good AV, and firewalls (software and physical).

HTH,

Russell

jw

the best way to look for product reviews and feature comparisons is to
click on Review
at cnet.com or zdnet.com or pcworld.com

they spend the money and time, and find the problems, so you don't have to.

see http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,115939,pg,1,00.asp
for an excellent comparison of firewall products, antivirus products,
antispyware products, and security suites. you will see why specific
problems with Norton Internet Security and McAfee Internet Security
prevented PC World from recommending either product.

the security suite they recommended is cheaper, simpler to use, and rich
in other useful features. truly a better bargain than the two that
advertise the most. no suite is perfect though. the security suite
they recommended has pathetic antispyware protection, so you still have
to go acquire separate antispyware protection.

still, for those who want the highest level of security protection, no
suite is as good as separate specialty products, such as the ZoneAlarm
firewall, Norton or McAfee Antivirus (not Internet Security), and the
armload of antispyware products often recommended in this newsgroup.