pb processor upgrade

hi all,

i have an ancient PB computer that i would like to revive from the stone
age. bought in 2000, it is a "Packard Bell Club 65" computer with a 455MHz
celeron processor on (i think) a houston motherboard.

could anyone tell me what the maximum speed of celeron processor this thing
can handle??

any help appreciated

nb
2 answers Last reply
More about processor upgrade
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Neil,

    The fastest Celeron processor compatible with the motherboard is likely to be
    533MHz, hardly worth the bother unless it can be picked up for free or for just
    a few pence.

    You could also consider a socket with an adapter including a voltage regulator,
    at which point 766MHz is possible. The Celerons operate at 2.0v up thru 533MHz,
    at lower voltages up to 766MHz, the upper limit for a 66MHz front side bus.

    If your system has either an Intel 440BX, Intel 810, or Intel 815 chipset,
    processors running with 100 or even 133MHz front side bus are possible. I don't
    have any specs on the Club 65, so it's hard to tell. Club 65 is a meaningless
    marketing name anyway. The important information is the motherboard model
    inside the computer, and said info can be gleaned by posting the BIOS
    identification information displayed when the system first powers up. Or run
    SiSoft's SANDRA or similar utility which fishes out the motherboard BIOS ID from
    inside the bowels of the computer... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:39:47 +0100, "Neil Brown"
    <neil@REMOVE2REPLYcree8uk.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >hi all,
    >
    >i have an ancient PB computer that i would like to revive from the stone
    >age. bought in 2000, it is a "Packard Bell Club 65" computer with a 455MHz
    >celeron processor on (i think) a houston motherboard.
    >
    >could anyone tell me what the maximum speed of celeron processor this thing
    >can handle??
    >
    >any help appreciated
    >
    >nb

  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    According to http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/faq/model2.htm

    The motherboard in the Club 65 is a Gigabyte GA6 WMM7 with Intel I810 chipset.

    According to the following page at the Gigabyte website, the maximum CPU speed
    is either a 766MHz Celeron or an 850MHz Pentium III Coppermine.

    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/CPUSupportList/CPUSupportList_Socket+370.htm

    In addition, PowerLeap is the best regarded company selling Pentium/Celeron
    Socket 370 upgrades, and they sell a 1.4GHz Celeron. Pretty expensive, though.
    Over $US 100... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:39:47 +0100, "Neil Brown"
    <neil@REMOVE2REPLYcree8uk.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    >hi all,
    >
    >i have an ancient PB computer that i would like to revive from the stone
    >age. bought in 2000, it is a "Packard Bell Club 65" computer with a 455MHz
    >celeron processor on (i think) a houston motherboard.
    >
    >could anyone tell me what the maximum speed of celeron processor this thing
    >can handle??
    >
    >any help appreciated
    >
    >nb

Packard Bell Celeron Computer Processors Computers