Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

4.5 broke up videocard?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 25, 2004 9:15:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Hi all,

I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
"dust").

Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
problem?

My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.

Thanks, Sergei.

More about : broke videocard

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 25, 2004 4:02:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Before updating to 4.5 from 3.10, did you use a driver cleaner program? It
doesn't really matter with the new driivers, but with the old ones if you
don't they leave alot of garbage... ( i.e. it was hardly an incrimental
upgrade... ).

"Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
news:a374088b.0405250415.3f49061f@posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
> graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
> "dust").
>
> Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
> problem?
>
> My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.
>
> Thanks, Sergei.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 25, 2004 7:52:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
news:a374088b.0405250415.3f49061f@posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
> graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
> "dust").
>
> Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
> problem?
>
> My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.
>
> Thanks, Sergei.

Try using the System Restore feature of Windows XP to restore your system to
a previous restore point.
Related resources
May 25, 2004 8:17:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

disable all anti-aliasing and see what differance it makes.

"Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
news:a374088b.0405250415.3f49061f@posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
> graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
> "dust").
>
> Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
> problem?
>
> My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.
>
> Thanks, Sergei.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 26, 2004 7:30:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<BYJsc.163367$O9.140118@news.chello.at>...
> Try using the System Restore feature of Windows XP to restore your system to
> a previous restore point.


As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't help.

It seems like cat4.5 modifies videocard bios or something.

I had read another people talking about this, in this group.
May 26, 2004 2:15:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Join the club, man. I have exactly the same problem, although I have an
Radeon 9000 64 MB.
Check out the "corrupt 2d display in 3d games" thread.

Unfortunately I still don't have the solution. I think there's a bug in
dynamic lightning routine, since disabling that in most cases eliminates the
"dust". Unfortunately newer games don't even give you an option of disabling
it, just perhaps lowering it which is not enough to eliminate the problem.

What I don't understand is why uninstalling the 4.5 doesn't help. I still
didn't have the time to try Drive Cleaner people told me about, so try that,
maybe that would help. After cleaning install the old drivers and see if it
helps. Post here, so I'll know too if I should bother with it.

I am also amazed that there's no more occurences of this problem. If it's a
bug, and it's hard to clean from the system, how come we don't hear about it
more often??



"Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
news:a374088b.0405250415.3f49061f@posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
> graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
> "dust").
>
> Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
> problem?
>
> My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.
>
> Thanks, Sergei.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 26, 2004 2:15:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I recently changed my video card from my 9800 pro to my 9800 np ( selling
the pro in anticipation of x800, sigh... ). Anyway, even when booting to
safe mode, display corruption still occured. It required me to boot into
"vga compatibility mode" and manually reinstall the driver files with the
setup.exe to get things working again... Other than that, the cat 4.5s have
given me no problems...

"Baba" <baba44713NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c91jqd$p0r$1@bagan.srce.hr...
> Join the club, man. I have exactly the same problem, although I have an
> Radeon 9000 64 MB.
> Check out the "corrupt 2d display in 3d games" thread.
>
> Unfortunately I still don't have the solution. I think there's a bug in
> dynamic lightning routine, since disabling that in most cases eliminates
the
> "dust". Unfortunately newer games don't even give you an option of
disabling
> it, just perhaps lowering it which is not enough to eliminate the problem.
>
> What I don't understand is why uninstalling the 4.5 doesn't help. I still
> didn't have the time to try Drive Cleaner people told me about, so try
that,
> maybe that would help. After cleaning install the old drivers and see if
it
> helps. Post here, so I'll know too if I should bother with it.
>
> I am also amazed that there's no more occurences of this problem. If it's
a
> bug, and it's hard to clean from the system, how come we don't hear about
it
> more often??
>
>
>
> "Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
> news:a374088b.0405250415.3f49061f@posting.google.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
> > graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
> > "dust").
> >
> > Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
> > problem?
> >
> > My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.
> >
> > Thanks, Sergei.
>
>
May 26, 2004 4:13:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I just installed the 4.5 drivers ( ATI Radeo 9000 Pro 128 ), and notice
dramatic improvements in Far Cry.
I was having load problems at level 11 .. that went
away. And also, the game seemed to speed up just
a little. Something else ?? In the level ( also Demo2 )
where spotlights are shining down on the floor in
a cave, the light beams look much more convincing
as light shining through dusty air .. much softer and
more diffuse. I wonder if the 4.5 code makes the
older cards more compatible with DirectX 9b ??
but at the same time, might be messing up the newer
cards that ARE compatible with 9b ?? I'm sure the
level load problem with my card was due to DirectX
compatiblilty issues. That got fixed. If that is true,
maybe 4.5 is altering "DirectX" itself ?? ... ?? ...
any chance that DirectX is the culprit that went after
your card Bios ?? .. and now is corrupt with the
reinstall ?? Just guessing, but that would be the
bad guy in a re-image ... with the good DirectX
now not compatible with your video card.

johns
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 27, 2004 12:23:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

No driver nor DirectX can alter bios of a card by itself. It needs spesific
tools provided by card's manufacturer, not Ati in case of oem cards.
So that's out of question.

I do think there are some driver files left over the system from newer
drivers. Uninstall cat4,5 , run Drivercleaner, re-boot, now install whatever
version you want. This was there will be no more files with newer version
from new catalyst.

As for water, I think you are looking at pixel and vertex shaders.

"johns" <johnsxxx@mudbog.edu> wrote in message
news:c92q8u$t83$1@kestrel.csrv.uidaho.edu...
> I just installed the 4.5 drivers ( ATI Radeo 9000 Pro 128 ), and notice
> dramatic improvements in Far Cry.
> I was having load problems at level 11 .. that went
> away. And also, the game seemed to speed up just
> a little. Something else ?? In the level ( also Demo2 )
> where spotlights are shining down on the floor in
> a cave, the light beams look much more convincing
> as light shining through dusty air .. much softer and
> more diffuse. I wonder if the 4.5 code makes the
> older cards more compatible with DirectX 9b ??
> but at the same time, might be messing up the newer
> cards that ARE compatible with 9b ?? I'm sure the
> level load problem with my card was due to DirectX
> compatiblilty issues. That got fixed. If that is true,
> maybe 4.5 is altering "DirectX" itself ?? ... ?? ...
> any chance that DirectX is the culprit that went after
> your card Bios ?? .. and now is corrupt with the
> reinstall ?? Just guessing, but that would be the
> bad guy in a re-image ... with the good DirectX
> now not compatible with your video card.
>
> johns
>
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 27, 2004 2:06:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
news:a374088b.0405260230.62d1773d@posting.google.com...
> "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:<BYJsc.163367$O9.140118@news.chello.at>...
> > Try using the System Restore feature of Windows XP to restore your
system to
> > a previous restore point.
>
>
> As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't
help.

Yes, I know. But System Restore usually works better than a simple reinstall
as it restores all the files to a previous state. There are no file corpses
from the newer install in there. Just try it out, it doesn't hurt. You can
always restore the system back to before the restoration process afterwards.
If it doesn't work, there could be something wrong with the card, otherwise
it's a driver issue.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 27, 2004 2:06:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<ox8tc.1647$vP.1@news.chello.at>...
> > As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't
> help.
>
> Yes, I know. But System Restore usually works better than a simple reinstall
> as it restores all the files to a previous state. There are no file corpses
> from the newer install in there. Just try it out, it doesn't hurt. You can
> always restore the system back to before the restoration process afterwards.
> If it doesn't work, there could be something wrong with the card, otherwise
> it's a driver issue.


Glzmo, are you joking? System restore is nothing compared to
*reinstall with formatting* the system drive. After that I've
installed 3.10 drivers, and it didn't help. No need to system restore
here, because nothing to restore. I think it's obvious.


P.S. Anyway, I see this problem more and more rarely; maybe it will go
away itself.

Sergei.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 27, 2004 1:51:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
news:a374088b.0405261807.109386f3@posting.google.com...
> "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:<ox8tc.1647$vP.1@news.chello.at>...
> > > As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't
> > help.
> >
> > Yes, I know. But System Restore usually works better than a simple
reinstall
> > as it restores all the files to a previous state. There are no file
corpses
> > from the newer install in there. Just try it out, it doesn't hurt. You
can
> > always restore the system back to before the restoration process
afterwards.
> > If it doesn't work, there could be something wrong with the card,
otherwise
> > it's a driver issue.
>
>
> Glzmo, are you joking? System restore is nothing compared to
> *reinstall with formatting* the system drive. After that I've
> installed 3.10 drivers, and it didn't help. No need to system restore
> here, because nothing to restore. I think it's obvious.

Heh, okay, sorry, I must have missed the install thing, my bad. Maybe you
should try out other even older driver versions, maybe that helps. Maybe try
the Omega drivers instead.
But it could very well be a faulty card, though I doubt CAT4.5 have done any
physical damage to it.
May 27, 2004 9:05:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Serge Yatsenko wrote:
> "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<ox8tc.1647$vP.1@news.chello.at>...
>
>>>As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't
>>
>>help.
>>
>>Yes, I know. But System Restore usually works better than a simple reinstall
>>as it restores all the files to a previous state. There are no file corpses
>>from the newer install in there. Just try it out, it doesn't hurt. You can
>>always restore the system back to before the restoration process afterwards.
>>If it doesn't work, there could be something wrong with the card, otherwise
>>it's a driver issue.
>
>
>
> Glzmo, are you joking? System restore is nothing compared to
> *reinstall with formatting* the system drive. After that I've
> installed 3.10 drivers, and it didn't help. No need to system restore
> here, because nothing to restore. I think it's obvious.
>
>
> P.S. Anyway, I see this problem more and more rarely; maybe it will go
> away itself.
>
> Sergei.

Did you check the fan on your graphics card?
Perhaps it stopped working right around the time you installed Cat 4.5.

Minotaur (8*
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 27, 2004 9:05:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Minotaur <antnel@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<40b59084$0$1584$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Did you check the fan on your graphics card?
> Perhaps it stopped working right around the time you installed Cat 4.5.

Yes, of course. It's rotating, like the other *two* mounted in the
good Chieftec case. All is cool, including the weather here in Russia.
So it is not the heat ;-(

Well, I hope this problem will gone away itself. I don't see it
already two days.. strange.

Sergei.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
May 30, 2004 7:37:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
news:a374088b.0405260230.62d1773d@posting.google.com...
> "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:<BYJsc.163367$O9.140118@news.chello.at>...
> > Try using the System Restore feature of Windows XP to restore your
system to
> > a previous restore point.
>
>
> As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't
help.
>
> It seems like cat4.5 modifies videocard bios or something.
>
> I had read another people talking about this, in this group.

If anyone is still reading this thread; I had a similar problem with
the Cat 4.5 drivers. In my case they seemed to have "broken"
the 3D Acceleration. None of my SW could detect a 3D accelerated
device. The problem remained after reinstalling earlier drivers.

I did a restore to before installing the Cat 4.5 and it came right back,
running one of the earlier Cats (4.3) that I had reinstalled. During the
reinstall I had most, if not all, of the affected files over written.
As I did the restore, I noticed that the only files listed as those with
the same names that were renamed were all these same video related
files. I have no idea why the overwrite in Restore worked and the
overwrite during the reinstall didn't.

The only thing that I can think of, that would explain it, is that the
restore may do a better job of dealing with registry entries. So,
it might be that the Cat 4.5 sets some totally different reg entries,
that may have been retained during a *reinstall* . Of course if you
formatted the drive or actually deleted the registry before you
"*reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers", then that couldn't be
the problem.

Luck;
Ken
!