4.5 broke up videocard?!

Hi all,

I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
"dust").

Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
problem?

My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.

Thanks, Sergei.
14
answers
Last reply
More about broke videocard

    Before updating to 4.5 from 3.10, did you use a driver cleaner program? It
    doesn't really matter with the new driivers, but with the old ones if you
    don't they leave alot of garbage... ( i.e. it was hardly an incrimental
    upgrade... ).

    "Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
    > graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
    > "dust").
    >
    > Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
    > problem?
    >
    > My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.
    >
    > Thanks, Sergei.

    "Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
    > graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
    > "dust").
    >
    > Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
    > problem?
    >
    > My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.
    >
    > Thanks, Sergei.

    Try using the System Restore feature of Windows XP to restore your system to
    a previous restore point.

    disable all anti-aliasing and see what differance it makes.

    "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<BYJsc.163367$O9.140118@news.chello.at>...
    > Try using the System Restore feature of Windows XP to restore your system to
    > a previous restore point.

    As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't help.

    It seems like cat4.5 modifies videocard bios or something.

    I had read another people talking about this, in this group.

    Join the club, man. I have exactly the same problem, although I have an
    Radeon 9000 64 MB.
    Check out the "corrupt 2d display in 3d games" thread.

    Unfortunately I still don't have the solution. I think there's a bug in
    dynamic lightning routine, since disabling that in most cases eliminates the
    "dust". Unfortunately newer games don't even give you an option of disabling
    it, just perhaps lowering it which is not enough to eliminate the problem.

    What I don't understand is why uninstalling the 4.5 doesn't help. I still
    didn't have the time to try Drive Cleaner people told me about, so try that,
    maybe that would help. After cleaning install the old drivers and see if it
    helps. Post here, so I'll know too if I should bother with it.

    I am also amazed that there's no more occurences of this problem. If it's a
    bug, and it's hard to clean from the system, how come we don't hear about it
    more often??

    "Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
    > graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
    > "dust").
    >
    > Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
    > problem?
    >
    > My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.
    >
    > Thanks, Sergei.

    I recently changed my video card from my 9800 pro to my 9800 np ( selling
    the pro in anticipation of x800, sigh... ). Anyway, even when booting to
    safe mode, display corruption still occured. It required me to boot into
    "vga compatibility mode" and manually reinstall the driver files with the
    setup.exe to get things working again... Other than that, the cat 4.5s have
    given me no problems...

    "Baba" <baba44713NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Join the club, man. I have exactly the same problem, although I have an
    > Radeon 9000 64 MB.
    > Check out the "corrupt 2d display in 3d games" thread.
    >
    > Unfortunately I still don't have the solution. I think there's a bug in
    > dynamic lightning routine, since disabling that in most cases eliminates
    the
    > "dust". Unfortunately newer games don't even give you an option of
    disabling
    > it, just perhaps lowering it which is not enough to eliminate the problem.
    >
    > What I don't understand is why uninstalling the 4.5 doesn't help. I still
    > didn't have the time to try Drive Cleaner people told me about, so try
    that,
    > maybe that would help. After cleaning install the old drivers and see if
    it
    > helps. Post here, so I'll know too if I should bother with it.
    >
    > I am also amazed that there's no more occurences of this problem. If it's
    > bug, and it's hard to clean from the system, how come we don't hear about
    it
    > more often??
    >

    > "Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I have Saphire 9500 Pro. After installing 4.5 drivers, I noticed
    > > graphic corruption in all 3d games (blue/black dots, lines and other
    > > "dust").
    > >
    > > Reinstalling old drivers (3.10) and WinXP didn't help. Anyone had this
    > > problem?
    > >
    > > My pc is under xp/sp1. Desktop applications run fine.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Sergei.

    I just installed the 4.5 drivers ( ATI Radeo 9000 Pro 128 ), and notice
    dramatic improvements in Far Cry.
    I was having load problems at level 11 .. that went
    away. And also, the game seemed to speed up just
    a little. Something else ?? In the level ( also Demo2 )
    where spotlights are shining down on the floor in
    a cave, the light beams look much more convincing
    as light shining through dusty air .. much softer and
    more diffuse. I wonder if the 4.5 code makes the
    older cards more compatible with DirectX 9b ??
    but at the same time, might be messing up the newer
    cards that ARE compatible with 9b ?? I'm sure the
    level load problem with my card was due to DirectX
    compatiblilty issues. That got fixed. If that is true,
    maybe 4.5 is altering "DirectX" itself ?? ... ?? ...
    any chance that DirectX is the culprit that went after
    your card Bios ?? .. and now is corrupt with the
    reinstall ?? Just guessing, but that would be the
    bad guy in a re-image ... with the good DirectX
    now not compatible with your video card.

    johns

    No driver nor DirectX can alter bios of a card by itself. It needs spesific
    tools provided by card's manufacturer, not Ati in case of oem cards.
    So that's out of question.

    I do think there are some driver files left over the system from newer
    drivers. Uninstall cat4,5 , run Drivercleaner, re-boot, now install whatever
    version you want. This was there will be no more files with newer version
    from new catalyst.

    As for water, I think you are looking at pixel and vertex shaders.

    > "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > Try using the System Restore feature of Windows XP to restore your
    system to
    > > a previous restore point.
    >

    > As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't
    help.

    Yes, I know. But System Restore usually works better than a simple reinstall
    as it restores all the files to a previous state. There are no file corpses
    from the newer install in there. Just try it out, it doesn't hurt. You can
    always restore the system back to before the restoration process afterwards.
    If it doesn't work, there could be something wrong with the card, otherwise
    it's a driver issue.

    "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<ox8tc.1647$vP.1@news.chello.at>...
    > > As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't
    > help.
    >
    > Yes, I know. But System Restore usually works better than a simple reinstall
    > as it restores all the files to a previous state. There are no file corpses
    > from the newer install in there. Just try it out, it doesn't hurt. You can
    > always restore the system back to before the restoration process afterwards.
    > If it doesn't work, there could be something wrong with the card, otherwise
    > it's a driver issue.

    Glzmo, are you joking? System restore is nothing compared to
    *reinstall with formatting* the system drive. After that I've
    installed 3.10 drivers, and it didn't help. No need to system restore
    here, because nothing to restore. I think it's obvious.

    P.S. Anyway, I see this problem more and more rarely; maybe it will go
    away itself.

    Sergei.

    > "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > > As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't
    > > help.
    > >
    > > Yes, I know. But System Restore usually works better than a simple
    reinstall
    > > as it restores all the files to a previous state. There are no file
    corpses
    > > from the newer install in there. Just try it out, it doesn't hurt. You
    can
    > > always restore the system back to before the restoration process
    afterwards.
    > > If it doesn't work, there could be something wrong with the card,
    otherwise
    > > it's a driver issue.
    >

    > Glzmo, are you joking? System restore is nothing compared to
    > *reinstall with formatting* the system drive. After that I've
    > installed 3.10 drivers, and it didn't help. No need to system restore
    > here, because nothing to restore. I think it's obvious.

    Heh, okay, sorry, I must have missed the install thing, my bad. Maybe you
    should try out other even older driver versions, maybe that helps. Maybe try
    the Omega drivers instead.
    But it could very well be a faulty card, though I doubt CAT4.5 have done any
    physical damage to it.

    Serge Yatsenko wrote:
    > "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message news:<ox8tc.1647$vP.1@news.chello.at>...
    >
    >>>As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't
    >>
    >>help.
    >>
    >>Yes, I know. But System Restore usually works better than a simple reinstall
    >>as it restores all the files to a previous state. There are no file corpses
    >>from the newer install in there. Just try it out, it doesn't hurt. You can
    >>always restore the system back to before the restoration process afterwards.
    >>If it doesn't work, there could be something wrong with the card, otherwise
    >>it's a driver issue.
    >

    > Glzmo, are you joking? System restore is nothing compared to
    > *reinstall with formatting* the system drive. After that I've
    > installed 3.10 drivers, and it didn't help. No need to system restore
    > here, because nothing to restore. I think it's obvious.
    >

    > P.S. Anyway, I see this problem more and more rarely; maybe it will go
    > away itself.
    >
    > Sergei.

    Did you check the fan on your graphics card?
    Perhaps it stopped working right around the time you installed Cat 4.5.

    Minotaur (8*

    Minotaur <antnel@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<40b59084$0$1584$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
    > Did you check the fan on your graphics card?
    > Perhaps it stopped working right around the time you installed Cat 4.5.

    Yes, of course. It's rotating, like the other *two* mounted in the
    good Chieftec case. All is cool, including the weather here in Russia.
    So it is not the heat ;-(

    Well, I hope this problem will gone away itself. I don't see it
    already two days.. strange.

    Sergei.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "Serge Yatsenko" <yatsena@mail.ru> wrote in message
    > "Glzmo" <glzmo@NOyahooSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > > Try using the System Restore feature of Windows XP to restore your
    system to
    > > a previous restore point.
    >

    > As I said, I even *reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers. That didn't
    help.

    > It seems like cat4.5 modifies videocard bios or something.
    >
    > I had read another people talking about this, in this group.

    If anyone is still reading this thread; I had a similar problem with
    the Cat 4.5 drivers. In my case they seemed to have "broken"
    the 3D Acceleration. None of my SW could detect a 3D accelerated
    device. The problem remained after reinstalling earlier drivers.

    I did a restore to before installing the Cat 4.5 and it came right back,
    running one of the earlier Cats (4.3) that I had reinstalled. During the
    reinstall I had most, if not all, of the affected files over written.
    As I did the restore, I noticed that the only files listed as those with
    the same names that were renamed were all these same video related
    files. I have no idea why the overwrite in Restore worked and the
    overwrite during the reinstall didn't.

    The only thing that I can think of, that would explain it, is that the
    restore may do a better job of dealing with registry entries. So,
    it might be that the Cat 4.5 sets some totally different reg entries,
    that may have been retained during a *reinstall* . Of course if you
    formatted the drive or actually deleted the registry before you
    "*reinstalled* system with 3.10 drivers", then that couldn't be
    the problem.

    Luck;
    Ken

Radeon Drivers Graphics