Manage Security Settings Disappeared

I recently installed some graphics software and latest Windows XP Updates on
my Windows XP SP2 machine. Now when I go to Control Panel > Security Center,
the area below "Manage Security Settings For:" contains nothing. Previously,
it used to contain options/links to configure Windows Firewall, Windows
Updates, and Virus Protection etc.

I know I can still configure these options by taking different routes to the
configuration screens, e.g. Network Connections > LAN Adapter > Properties >
Advanced > Firewall Settings etc, but I am concerned why those settings in
the Security Center have suddenly vanished.

Is there some dll or something that may have been overwritten? I am using a
single/standalone Windows Xp Professional SP2 machine and I am logged in as
the administrator.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Cayzee

Hi Cayzee,

See if this helps:

Restore missing icons to the Windows Security Center:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/seccentericons.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Cayzee" <Cayzee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2B6D6A3-EC91-40D8-9BC4-9AF574C9F347@microsoft.com...
[...]

Ramesh:

Thank you, it did fix the problem. But I am a little concerned since the
program added/changed/deleted a couple hundred registry enteries. Can you
please shed some light on what this program does and how it restores these
icons.

Also, do you have any thoughts on what could have caused these settings to
disappear? Do you think it could be a virus?

Thanks in advance for your help

Cayzee

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Cayzee,
>
> See if this helps:
>
> Restore missing icons to the Windows Security Center:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/seccentericons.htm
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Cayzee" <Cayzee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2B6D6A3-EC91-40D8-9BC4-9AF574C9F347@microsoft.com...
> I recently installed some graphics software and latest Windows XP Updates on
> my Windows XP SP2 machine. Now when I go to Control Panel > Security Center,
> the area below "Manage Security Settings For:" contains nothing. Previously,
> it used to contain options/links to configure Windows Firewall, Windows
> Updates, and Virus Protection etc.
>
> I know I can still configure these options by taking different routes to the
> configuration screens, e.g. Network Connections > LAN Adapter > Properties >
> Advanced > Firewall Settings etc, but I am concerned why those settings in
> the Security Center have suddenly vanished.
>
> Is there some dll or something that may have been overwritten? I am using a
> single/standalone Windows Xp Professional SP2 machine and I am logged in as
> the administrator.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> TIA
>
> Cayzee

Cayzee,

>> couple hundred registry enteries

Never. It re-creates the missing "Control Panel" Extended Properties entries.

BTW, the actual cause for the issue is unknown to me.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User