Does anyone else NOT like CS?

It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert. Trying to learn
it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit
out the rest of the round as a spec. Too many weapons to know which to
choose from. Comms and the team aspect is also confusing for the
beginner.
Anyone else feel the same?

Mohaa TDM against workmates, now that's more like my 'realism' game :)

More beer needed methinx....

--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

Practice Practice Practice. I got 3 years under my belt and I will kill you
without regard. I now have carpal tunnel in both my arms from
counter-strike. I won't be an ass about it, but I will kill you at first
site.

Steve Evans wrote:
> It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert. Trying to
learn
> it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit
> out the rest of the round as a spec. Too many weapons to know which
> choose from. Comms and the team aspect is also confusing for the
> beginner.
> Anyone else feel the same?
>
> Mohaa TDM against workmates, now that's more like my 'realism' game
:)

> More beer needed methinx....
>
> --
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

I think it's a fun game with addictive qualities but newbies will be
thrown in at the deep end and find it very difficult playing against
experienced players.

This is where some offline modes with bots would have helped.

Then you have all the lamers playing that feel the need to hurl insults
at the new players because of their lack of skill.
With that in mind i'm much more looking forward to DoD:Source.

Steve Evans wrote:
> It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert.

Realise there are people who have been playing the game since it's first
beta release in Summer 1999... I guess that's just kinda what happens
after a game has been out for so long

> Trying to learn
> it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit
> out the rest of the round as a spec. Too many weapons to know which to
> choose from. Comms and the team aspect is also confusing for the
> beginner.
> Anyone else feel the same?

As a beginner, this is normal... There's no easy solution - the best way
to learn the game would be to try and find friends or other likeminded
people, or other newbies to play against, while you and they find your
feet in the game and can enjoy the experience of learning it.

Sadly the public servers for CS are very unforgiving in this respect,
and even to experienced players there can be alot of poor sportsmanship
and abuse. CS really can be great fun, but only if you play with the
right people.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert. Trying to learn
> it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit
> out the rest of the round as a spec. Too many weapons to know which to
> choose from. Comms and the team aspect is also confusing for the
> beginner.
> Anyone else feel the same?
>
> Mohaa TDM against workmates, now that's more like my 'realism' game :)
>
> More beer needed methinx....
>
> --
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

Thanks for the info in this thread, having never played it before I was
tempted to give it a try, but I don't think I will bother now. My only
other experience of MP gaming was Diablo 2 and that was fairly easy for
nOObs to get a feel for the game and the aspects of MP.

Oh well, I will wait for World of Warcraft for my next MP experience.

Wyrd

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 04:27:37 -0000, "Wyrd" <Wyrdest1@nospam.yahoo.com>
wrote:

>"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
>> It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert. Trying to learn
>> it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit
>> out the rest of the round as a spec. Too many weapons to know which to
>> choose from. Comms and the team aspect is also confusing for the
>> beginner.
>> Anyone else feel the same?
>>
>> Mohaa TDM against workmates, now that's more like my 'realism' game :)
>>
>> More beer needed methinx....
>>
>> --
>> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
>
>Thanks for the info in this thread, having never played it before I was
>tempted to give it a try, but I don't think I will bother now. My only
>other experience of MP gaming was Diablo 2 and that was fairly easy for
>nOObs to get a feel for the game and the aspects of MP.
>
>Oh well, I will wait for World of Warcraft for my next MP experience.
>
>Wyrd

Try it by all means, but if you haven't even tried hl 1/2 mp then
you're gonna find it hard....

--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote
<snip>
> Mohaa TDM against workmates, now that's more like my 'realism' game :)
>
> More beer needed methinx....
>
> --
> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

You should have played the Thanksgiving or New Years Drunk Counterstrike
games with my clan, BCA ( Bullet Catchers Anonymous ) . We have 3-4 drunk
games a year. You might not improve your skills, but you are sure to have
fun.

"Drunk Counterstrike" rules :
1 . have a large supply of beer or other alcoholic beverages handy
2 . every time you get a headshot or knife kill you drink twice
3 . for any other kill you get, you drink once
4 . every time your team wins a round, you take a drink
5 . if you kill yourself by accident , pick a person and both of you take 3
drinks
6 . if you just bought an AWP or auto-sniper rifle drink twice
7 . you have to drink IMMEDIATELY , no waiting until you die or the round is
over
8 . the winner is ... ah ... the last person still able sit upright and play
:cool:

Nobody has been ahead by more than 6 or 7 kills. By the second hour people
are shooting hostages, falling off ladders, grenading themselves, driving
vehicles over teammates, and dying in other stupid but funny ways. It's a
blast. Get a bunch of friends together and give it a try.

<BCA> LEI 10 SEA (co-ld/picm) [AGHL]

email user = limnophile (at) domain name = charter dot net

"Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
> Steve Evans wrote:
>> It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert.
>
> Realise there are people who have been playing the game since it's
> first beta release in Summer 1999... I guess that's just kinda what
> happens after a game has been out for so long
>
>> Trying to learn
>> it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit
>> out the rest of the round as a spec. Too many weapons to know which
>> to choose from. Comms and the team aspect is also confusing for the
>> beginner.
>> Anyone else feel the same?
>
> As a beginner, this is normal... There's no easy solution - the best
> way to learn the game would be to try and find friends or other
> likeminded people, or other newbies to play against, while you and
> they find your feet in the game and can enjoy the experience of
> learning it.
> Sadly the public servers for CS are very unforgiving in this respect,
> and even to experienced players there can be alot of poor
> sportsmanship and abuse. CS really can be great fun, but only if
> you play with the right people.

Really? Well you got a few CS noobs in here that might ask ya to prove
that one :)
McG.

Jab

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

> "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
>> Steve Evans wrote:
>>> It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert.
>>
>> Realise there are people who have been playing the game since it's
>> first beta release in Summer 1999... I guess that's just kinda what
>> happens after a game has been out for so long
>>
>>> Trying to learn
>>> it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit
>>> out the rest of the round as a spec. Too many weapons to know which
>>> to choose from. Comms and the team aspect is also confusing for the
>>> beginner.
>>> Anyone else feel the same?
>>
>> As a beginner, this is normal... There's no easy solution - the best
>> way to learn the game would be to try and find friends or other
>> likeminded people, or other newbies to play against, while you and
>> they find your feet in the game and can enjoy the experience of
>> learning it.
>> Sadly the public servers for CS are very unforgiving in this respect,
>> and even to experienced players there can be alot of poor
>> sportsmanship and abuse. CS really can be great fun, but only if
>> you play with the right people.
>
> Really? Well you got a few CS noobs in here that might ask ya to prove
> that one :)
> McG.

I've played quite a lot of CS:S and as yet have not seen abuse between
players, reasons for this could be:

(a) I'm really good so I don't get abuse
(b) I'm lucky with the servers I pick
(c) I often use European servers (I'm in the UK) and I don't understand the
insults

I pretty sure it's not (a) ....

"Limnophile" <limnophileNOSP@Mcharter.net> wrote in message
> "Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote
> <snip>
>> Mohaa TDM against workmates, now that's more like my 'realism' game
>> :) More beer needed methinx....
>>
>> --
>> steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org
>
> You should have played the Thanksgiving or New Years Drunk
> Counterstrike games with my clan, BCA ( Bullet Catchers Anonymous )
> . We have 3-4 drunk games a year. You might not improve your skills,
> but you are sure to have fun.
>
> "Drunk Counterstrike" rules :
> 1 . have a large supply of beer or other alcoholic beverages handy
> 2 . every time you get a headshot or knife kill you drink twice
> 3 . for any other kill you get, you drink once
> 4 . every time your team wins a round, you take a drink
> 5 . if you kill yourself by accident , pick a person and both of you
> take 3 drinks
> 6 . if you just bought an AWP or auto-sniper rifle drink twice
> 7 . you have to drink IMMEDIATELY , no waiting until you die or the
> round is over
> 8 . the winner is ... ah ... the last person still able sit upright
> and play :cool:
>
> Nobody has been ahead by more than 6 or 7 kills. By the second hour
> people are shooting hostages, falling off ladders, grenading
> themselves, driving vehicles over teammates, and dying in other
> stupid but funny ways. It's a blast. Get a bunch of friends together
> and give it a try.
> <BCA> LEI 10 SEA (co-ld/picm) [AGHL]
>
> email user = limnophile (at) domain name = charter dot net

The whole idea of any game, online or otherwise, is to have fun, right?
I guess I'll have to drop into some sort of CS server sometime and find
out if CS can actually be fun. There is only training session for
single player in CS, if my feeble memory serves :) When I saw it
wasn't an SP FPS, the only reason I didn't toss it out the window is
that I have a son to toss stuff like this to :) "Hey son, want this?"
"Suuuuuuuuuuurrre Pops!!! :eek:)) " End of problem :)
I've been playing games online since you could. I've never "clanned",
never had the inclination. They were always talking about structure,
plans...rigidity. Pthhhhhhh! on that! I like DM and CTF. LOVED
Quake/Quakeworld/Q2 DM and CTF, and did enjoy a little of 'this n that'
with Q3A. UT2004 is ok online. Onslaught is sorta fun. But HL2DM is
more fun. Just need better maps :) Vehicles.
McG.

"McG" wrote
> The whole idea of any game, online or otherwise, is to have fun, right?
> I guess I'll have to drop into some sort of CS server sometime and find
> out if CS can actually be fun. There is only training session for single
> player in CS, if my feeble memory serves :) When I saw it wasn't an SP
> FPS, the only reason I didn't toss it out the window is that I have a son
> to toss stuff like this to :) "Hey son, want this?" "Suuuuuuuuuuurrre
> Pops!!! :eek:)) " End of problem :)
> I've been playing games online since you could. I've never "clanned",
> never had the inclination. They were always talking about structure,
> plans...rigidity. Pthhhhhhh! on that! I like DM and CTF. LOVED
> Quake/Quakeworld/Q2 DM and CTF, and did enjoy a little of 'this n that'
> with Q3A. UT2004 is ok online. Onslaught is sorta fun. But HL2DM is
> more fun. Just need better maps :) Vehicles.
> McG.

Hi Gramps,
BCA isn't like most clans, we play to have fun ONLY . If a game isn't fun ,
why play it ? Our idea of a plan is "You wanna play tonight ? - Sure , what
time ?" The "Drunk CS" games were great fun , no commander barking orders ,
no rigid plan , nobody dominating the game .

One of the most popular drunk cs moments was when I got the idea to jump
from a moving car to attack . It might have worked better if I had jumped to
the side instead of the front . --SQUISH-- " BCA-Jaybird killed a teamate
with vehicle " Luckily he saw me jump and parked on top of the grenade I
dropped on dying. "BCA-LEI 10 SEA killed a teamate " after I was already
dead ! We didn't win the round , but DAMN was it funny !

<BCA> LEI 10 SEA (co-ld/picm) [AGHL]

Steve Evans skrev:

> It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert. Trying to learn
> it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit

THis never stops be from wondering. In all multiplayer games I join
(all types and mods) everyone else seems to take 100 bullets to die,
and I always die after one or two :)

My favourite is TFC, more real action, less sniping and hiding :)

Tried HL2 Deathmatch, and did good a while, but then some new player
joined, and it was no more fun :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:25:22 +0100, Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:

>Steve Evans skrev:
>
>> It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert. Trying to learn
>> it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit
>
>THis never stops be from wondering. In all multiplayer games I join
>(all types and mods) everyone else seems to take 100 bullets to die,
>and I always die after one or two :)

Haha, my thoughts exactly! I send someone flying with a grenade, empty
a whole clip into them and still I lose the fight =(
When you do that in CS you become a spectator...how boring!

--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

Steve Evans skrev:

> Haha, my thoughts exactly! I send someone flying with a grenade, empty
> a whole clip into them and still I lose the fight =(
> When you do that in CS you become a spectator...how boring!

Maybe try "Day of Defeat", same sort of game, but you respawn quite
fast. Also like Battlefiled 1942 (and Desert Combat). At least you can
get a tank or an APV to protect yourself there :)

--

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:47:14 +0000, Steve Evans <no@spam> wrote:

>It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert. Trying to learn
>it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit
>out the rest of the round as a spec. Too many weapons to know which to
>choose from. Comms and the team aspect is also confusing for the
>beginner.

It's a good game, although I dislike the stranglehold it has on our
little community. Gooseman and CS itself has nothing to do with this,
of course, it's the players themselves who continue to obsess over CS
and refuse to play anything else.

I would like it a lot more if it was less deathmatch, moved at a
slower pace and actually involved tactics, like my beloved Swat 3 did.

IMO

-----
Anders Simonsson
Website: http://hem.bredband.net/b273622/index.html

Anders Simonsson wrote:
> It's a good game, although I dislike the stranglehold it has on our
> little community. Gooseman and CS itself has nothing to do with this,
> of course, it's the players themselves who continue to obsess over CS
> and refuse to play anything else.
>
> I would like it a lot more if it was less deathmatch, moved at a
> slower pace and actually involved tactics, like my beloved Swat 3 did.

I think I half agree with you there Anders :) The people who play it do
seem to obsess over it far too much, and take it waay too seriously.
However, I don't think people "going it rambo" would be so much of a
problem if players were able to play it for fun and have a bit of a
laugh when playing. There are definitely people out there who do, but
they're not so easy to come across.. and often are drowned out by the
rest of the server

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:33:31 +0000, Ben Cottrell
<bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote:

>it's not within my power at the moment to find a private server,
>although it shouldnt be too hard to old-school it and find an empty
>public server :)

I would be most interested in this and I'm all for crashing a public
server. If anyone else feel the same, then maybe we can bypass the
whole 'Does anyone know of a private/bookable/whatever server?'
discussion.

I'm free tomorrow and next weekend. What about the rest of you?

-----

Anders Simonsson wrote:

>>it's not within my power at the moment to find a private server,
>>although it shouldnt be too hard to old-school it and find an empty
>>public server :)
>

> I would be most interested in this and I'm all for crashing a public
> server. If anyone else feel the same, then maybe we can bypass the
> whole 'Does anyone know of a private/bookable/whatever server?'
> discussion.

Yup.. and I reckon if we have enough AGHL'ers, then no amount of public
server "invaders" can overpower us ;) If we make sure the server we
pick has a capacity of around 12 players, then there's less room for
strangers.

> I'm free tomorrow and next weekend. What about the rest of you?

I'm not back into work until thursday, although unfortunately I have a
family gathering tommorow afternoon... but anytime after 8pm GMT I
expect i'll be around :)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

JAB wrote:

> I've played quite a lot of CS:S and as yet have not seen abuse
between
> players, reasons for this could be:
>
> (a) I'm really good so I don't get abuse
> (b) I'm lucky with the servers I pick
> (c) I often use European servers (I'm in the UK) and I don't
understand the
> insults
>

> I pretty sure it's not (a) ....

I would say you have been VERY lucky, most newbies get abused the hell
out of all the time by the seasoned players, it's got to be the worst
online gaming community I have ever come across.

When I first started playing a few weeks ago there was alot of abuse
and expletives thrown at me simply because I was unable to get many
kills, it was very intimidating.

I'm not really sure what the reason is, extreme immaturity and low
intelligence of the players and/or some kind of vicious circle perhaps.

In short CS is a fun game but the people that play are some of the
worst form of low life scum you will ever come across.

strider

John Smith proclaimed...

> Practice Practice Practice. I got 3 years under my belt and I will kill you
> without regard. I now have carpal tunnel in both my arms from
> counter-strike. I won't be an ass about it, but I will kill you at first
> site.

My, you're a prat aint ya.

--
AGHL Newsgroup, IRC FAQ & other: aghl-stuff.tk
Homepage: stri.tk

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 06:00:00 -0600, "Limnophile"
<limnophileNOSP@Mcharter.net> wrote:

>"Drunk Counterstrike" rules :
>1 . have a large supply of beer or other alcoholic beverages handy
>2 . every time you get a headshot or knife kill you drink twice
>3 . for any other kill you get, you drink once
>4 . every time your team wins a round, you take a drink
>5 . if you kill yourself by accident , pick a person and both of you take 3
>drinks
>6 . if you just bought an AWP or auto-sniper rifle drink twice
>7 . you have to drink IMMEDIATELY , no waiting until you die or the round is
>over
>8 . the winner is ... ah ... the last person still able sit upright and play
>:cool:

More proof that 'ANYTHING' can be made into a drinking game! :) We
converted Jenga into a drinking game by writing on the one side of the
blocks. The games tend to go much quicker by the end of the night
which just happens to coincide with a lack of coordination.

Erik

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Steve Evans wrote:
> It seems like everyone playing is *already* an expert. Trying to learn
> it ends in frustration, cos you die from single pistol shots and sit
> out the rest of the round as a spec. Too many weapons to know which to
> choose from. Comms and the team aspect is also confusing for the
> beginner.
> Anyone else feel the same?
>
> Mohaa TDM against workmates, now that's more like my 'realism' game :)
>
> More beer needed methinx....

I felt just the same, and still do sometimes. I've been playing for around 5
months and like you, i got really frustrated. But because the game was
unlike any other online games, ie the team play, i stuck with it.

Now i can get some decent scores. Just keep practising dude.

--
To alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Limnophile wrote:
< driving vehicles over teammates

Vehicles? have i missed something?

--
To alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:21:39 +0000, Ben Cottrell
<bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote:

>How about tommorow (Sunday 2nd Jan 2005) around 9pm GMT? I think that's
>mid-afternoon for you :)
>
>Anyone else? Limno, Lars-Erik, Steve, Wyrd .. here's your chance to
>play CS with people who aren't gonna make magic kills from 200 yards :)
> Or if they do, they'll be nice about it ;)

I'm game. I think that would be 4pm for me. Had to look it up because
us Indiana folk don't believe in that witchery about moving the clocks
backwards and forwards. :)

Erik

In article <BhzBd.118$VR2.21@amstwist00>, Lars-Erik ÿsterud <.@.> wrote:

> THis never stops be from wondering. In all multiplayer games I join
> (all types and mods) everyone else seems to take 100 bullets to die,
> and I always die after one or two :)

I suspect that if we could watch you playing, matrix-style slo-mo
camera, we'd see you hit the air around the opposition with 95 of those
bullets, and we'd also see the opposition hit the air around *you* with
a lot before you actually got the two or three 'hits' that took you
down...

.... perspective....

___
Neil