Wireless Connection unavailable

Hi
I am trying to establish a peer to peer network between my laptop(XP Home, PC Card 802.11g) and desktop (XP Pro, USB Wireless dongle 802.11g). When they are both inserted I still get the message wireless connection unavailable, it is as if they aren't plugged in. I have set up the details as per the windows wireless networking tabs, for peer to peer. I can find answers for joining an excisting network but do i have to establish the network on one of the machines first ?

I am not computer illiterate, but this has beaten me well and truly !
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless connection unavailable

    I can only advise what I did, I firstly established the link between the two
    computers using a crossover cable. I then obtained a Belkin components
    which as soon as I installed the link they worked. It is important to
    establish then setup on your main computer before you attempt to set up the
    laptop. If using USB and you have more than one socket always use the same
    one. I would as you are using XP roll back then start with your main
    computer, install the software check that it is working via Device manager,
    then go onto the laptop and repeat.

    Good luck

    Ray

    --

    This E-Mail has been checked by eTrust EZ Antivirus
    "David J Smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I am trying to establish a peer to peer network between my laptop(XP Home,
    PC Card 802.11g) and desktop (XP Pro, USB Wireless dongle 802.11g). When
    they are both inserted I still get the message wireless connection
    unavailable, it is as if they aren't plugged in. I have set up the details
    as per the windows wireless networking tabs, for peer to peer. I can find
    answers for joining an excisting network but do i have to establish the
    network on one of the machines first ?

    > I am not computer illiterate, but this has beaten me well and truly !

    One of the first things you need to do is make sure your
    firewalls will allow you to connect to each computer.
    each computer may be seing each other as a threat rather
    than a peer

Wireless Connection Networking Wireless Networking