Wireless Connection unavailable

Hi
I am trying to establish a peer to peer network between my laptop(XP Home, PC Card 802.11g) and desktop (XP Pro, USB Wireless dongle 802.11g). When they are both inserted I still get the message wireless connection unavailable, it is as if they aren't plugged in. I have set up the details as per the windows wireless networking tabs, for peer to peer. I can find answers for joining an excisting network but do i have to establish the network on one of the machines first ?

I am not computer illiterate, but this has beaten me well and truly !

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I can only advise what I did, I firstly established the link between the two
computers using a crossover cable. I then obtained a Belkin components
which as soon as I installed the link they worked. It is important to
establish then setup on your main computer before you attempt to set up the
laptop. If using USB and you have more than one socket always use the same
one. I would as you are using XP roll back then start with your main
computer, install the software check that it is working via Device manager,
then go onto the laptop and repeat.

Good luck

Ray

--

This E-Mail has been checked by eTrust EZ Antivirus
"David J Smith" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am trying to establish a peer to peer network between my laptop(XP Home,
PC Card 802.11g) and desktop (XP Pro, USB Wireless dongle 802.11g). When
they are both inserted I still get the message wireless connection
unavailable, it is as if they aren't plugged in. I have set up the details
as per the windows wireless networking tabs, for peer to peer. I can find
answers for joining an excisting network but do i have to establish the
network on one of the machines first ?

> I am not computer illiterate, but this has beaten me well and truly !

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

One of the first things you need to do is make sure your
firewalls will allow you to connect to each computer.
each computer may be seing each other as a threat rather
than a peer