Looking for software similar to security manager

Hi NG,

I'm looking for a software similar to the tool 'security manager' (in
german: Sicherheitsmanager) from Martin Weindel (Wispro). Wispro doesn't
exists anymore. The last version from secumgr what I know is 2.02. If I
start that version under Windows XP where pops up the following message:

Warning! We advise you against using this version under Windows 2000.
This program has only be tested on Windows NT 4.0. Better get an update
from http://www.wispro.de.

Can anybody help me?

(Sorry for my bad English!)

Malke

Klaus Schulz wrote:

> Hi NG,
>
> I'm looking for a software similar to the tool 'security manager' (in
> german: Sicherheitsmanager) from Martin Weindel (Wispro). Wispro
> doesn't exists anymore. The last version from secumgr what I know is
> 2.02. If I start that version under Windows XP where pops up the
> following message:
>
> Warning! We advise you against using this version under Windows 2000.
> This program has only be tested on Windows NT 4.0. Better get an
> update from http://www.wispro.de.
>
> Can anybody help me?
>
> (Sorry for my bad English!)

Your English is fine, although there are MS newsgroups in German if you
would prefer. Here's a list of all the MS newsgroups:

http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

Obviously you want the ones with *.de in them.

You didn't say a) what version of XP you have - Home or Pro; and b)
exactly what Wispro's software did that you need.

Please post back with clarification for more specific help. XP Pro has
the Group Policy Editor (Start>Run gpedit.msc) which gives you quite a
lot of control. The Policy Editor is not available in Home, but MVP
Doug Knox has written an application which fills the gap. Get his
Security Console from his site www.dougknox. com.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Malke schrieb:
> Klaus Schulz wrote:
>>I'm looking for a software similar to the tool 'security manager' ...

> You didn't say a) what version of XP you have - Home or Pro; and b)
> exactly what Wispro's software did that you need.

a) I have XP Home.
b) Her is an extract of the first help page from the program:
------------8<--------------------------------------------------------
Security Manager is a tool to visualize permissions of files and
directories on NTFS partitions. It also has some powerful methods to
edit these permissions. Whereas File Manager and Windows Explorer show
security information only on command and for a selected file or
directory, Security Manager displays it automatically for all files of a
directory (Directory Window) or even for a complett directory tree (Deep
View Window).
Besides you can search for owners and/or permissions and you can
generate reports, to document the current security information.

Besides similar security editing possibilities like File Manager or
Window Explorer, Security Manager has following powerful features:

+ Using Copy/Replace you can copy permissions list from one directory or
file to others.
+ As administrator you can add permissions or remove permissions
independent of existing access permissions. Even if you have no access
rights, this will work (but you must have appropriate User Rights) !
+ As administrator you can set the owner.
+ Using the command Replace User/Group one account in the security
information of all subdirectories and files of the selected directory
can be replaced with another one.

Here is a screenshot: http://img149.exs.cx/img149/4067/secumgr8es.png

> Please post back with clarification for more specific help. XP Pro has
> the Group Policy Editor (Start>Run gpedit.msc) which gives you quite a
> lot of control. The Policy Editor is not available in Home, but MVP
> Doug Knox has written an application which fills the gap. Get his
> Security Console from his site www.dougknox. com.

Thanks for the tip. But I think that the Security Console is a
replacement of the Group Policy Editor. Both are not for manage of
permissions but of rights. I'm looking for a tool for manage the
permissions of files and directories. Primaly I want to have an overview
of the permissions of all files in one directry or/and below.

I post to this group because I hope there are more people on the world
who speak english rather then german. I have also make a post to a
german group.

Klaus

Malke

Klaus Schulz wrote:

> Malke schrieb:
>> Klaus Schulz wrote:
>>>I'm looking for a software similar to the tool 'security manager' ...
>
>> You didn't say a) what version of XP you have - Home or Pro; and b)
>> exactly what Wispro's software did that you need.
>
> a) I have XP Home.
> b) Her is an extract of the first help page from the program:
> ------------8<--------------------------------------------------------
> Security Manager is a tool to visualize permissions of files and
> directories on NTFS partitions. It also has some powerful methods to
> edit these permissions. Whereas File Manager and Windows Explorer show
> security information only on command and for a selected file or
> directory, Security Manager displays it automatically for all files of
> a directory (Directory Window) or even for a complett directory tree
> (Deep View Window).
> Besides you can search for owners and/or permissions and you can
> generate reports, to document the current security information.
>
> Besides similar security editing possibilities like File Manager or
> Window Explorer, Security Manager has following powerful features:
>
> + Using Copy/Replace you can copy permissions list from one directory
> or file to others.
> + As administrator you can add permissions or remove permissions
> independent of existing access permissions. Even if you have no access
> rights, this will work (but you must have appropriate User Rights) !
> + As administrator you can set the owner.
> + Using the command Replace User/Group one account in the security
> information of all subdirectories and files of the selected directory
> can be replaced with another one.
>
> Here is a screenshot: http://img149.exs.cx/img149/4067/secumgr8es.png
>
>> Please post back with clarification for more specific help. XP Pro
>> has the Group Policy Editor (Start>Run gpedit.msc) which gives you
>> quite a lot of control. The Policy Editor is not available in Home,
>> but MVP Doug Knox has written an application which fills the gap. Get
>> his Security Console from his site www.dougknox. com.
>
> Thanks for the tip. But I think that the Security Console is a
> replacement of the Group Policy Editor. Both are not for manage of
> permissions but of rights. I'm looking for a tool for manage the
> permissions of files and directories. Primaly I want to have an
> overview of the permissions of all files in one directry or/and below.
>
> I post to this group because I hope there are more people on the world
> who speak english rather then german. I have also make a post to a
> german group.
>
> Klaus

And you don't want to upgrade to Pro? Apparently you don't want to use
another version of Wispro? I did a Google using the search term,
"software like Wispro" and came up with this link to SecurityFocus's
listing of various security products. Maybe something there will be
useful for you:

http://ks.securityfocus.com/securityfocus/MainServlet?ksAction=Home

Perhaps someone else reading this newsgroup will have a good suggestion
for you, too. I'm sorry I can't point you at exactly what you need.
Maybe just upgrading to Pro would be a better fit for you since that
would give you the fine-grained permissions missing in Home. It would
also give you the ability to make new user groups, assign the
permissions you want, and add specific users to those groups.

Malke