Looking for software similar to security manager

Hi NG,

I'm looking for a software similar to the tool 'security manager' (in
german: Sicherheitsmanager) from Martin Weindel (Wispro). Wispro doesn't
exists anymore. The last version from secumgr what I know is 2.02. If I
start that version under Windows XP where pops up the following message:

Warning! We advise you against using this version under Windows 2000.
This program has only be tested on Windows NT 4.0. Better get an update
from http://www.wispro.de.

Can anybody help me?

(Sorry for my bad English!)
3 answers Last reply
More about looking software similar security manager

    Klaus Schulz wrote:

    > Hi NG,
    >
    > I'm looking for a software similar to the tool 'security manager' (in
    > german: Sicherheitsmanager) from Martin Weindel (Wispro). Wispro
    > doesn't exists anymore. The last version from secumgr what I know is
    > 2.02. If I start that version under Windows XP where pops up the
    > following message:
    >
    > Warning! We advise you against using this version under Windows 2000.
    > This program has only be tested on Windows NT 4.0. Better get an
    > update from http://www.wispro.de.
    >
    > Can anybody help me?
    >
    > (Sorry for my bad English!)

    Your English is fine, although there are MS newsgroups in German if you
    would prefer. Here's a list of all the MS newsgroups:

    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    Obviously you want the ones with *.de in them.

    You didn't say a) what version of XP you have - Home or Pro; and b)
    exactly what Wispro's software did that you need.

    Please post back with clarification for more specific help. XP Pro has
    the Group Policy Editor (Start>Run gpedit.msc) which gives you quite a
    lot of control. The Policy Editor is not available in Home, but MVP
    Doug Knox has written an application which fills the gap. Get his
    Security Console from his site www.dougknox. com.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke schrieb:
    > Klaus Schulz wrote:
    >>I'm looking for a software similar to the tool 'security manager' ...

    > You didn't say a) what version of XP you have - Home or Pro; and b)
    > exactly what Wispro's software did that you need.

    a) I have XP Home.
    b) Her is an extract of the first help page from the program:
    ------------8<--------------------------------------------------------
    Security Manager is a tool to visualize permissions of files and
    directories on NTFS partitions. It also has some powerful methods to
    edit these permissions. Whereas File Manager and Windows Explorer show
    security information only on command and for a selected file or
    directory, Security Manager displays it automatically for all files of a
    directory (Directory Window) or even for a complett directory tree (Deep
    View Window).
    Besides you can search for owners and/or permissions and you can
    generate reports, to document the current security information.

    Besides similar security editing possibilities like File Manager or
    Window Explorer, Security Manager has following powerful features:

    + Using Copy/Replace you can copy permissions list from one directory or
    file to others.
    + As administrator you can add permissions or remove permissions
    independent of existing access permissions. Even if you have no access
    rights, this will work (but you must have appropriate User Rights) !
    + As administrator you can set the owner.
    + Using the command Replace User/Group one account in the security
    information of all subdirectories and files of the selected directory
    can be replaced with another one.

    Here is a screenshot: http://img149.exs.cx/img149/4067/secumgr8es.png

    > Please post back with clarification for more specific help. XP Pro has
    > the Group Policy Editor (Start>Run gpedit.msc) which gives you quite a
    > lot of control. The Policy Editor is not available in Home, but MVP
    > Doug Knox has written an application which fills the gap. Get his
    > Security Console from his site www.dougknox. com.

    Thanks for the tip. But I think that the Security Console is a
    replacement of the Group Policy Editor. Both are not for manage of
    permissions but of rights. I'm looking for a tool for manage the
    permissions of files and directories. Primaly I want to have an overview
    of the permissions of all files in one directry or/and below.

    I post to this group because I hope there are more people on the world
    who speak english rather then german. I have also make a post to a
    german group.

    Klaus

    Klaus Schulz wrote:

    > Malke schrieb:
    >> Klaus Schulz wrote:
    >>>I'm looking for a software similar to the tool 'security manager' ...
    >
    >> You didn't say a) what version of XP you have - Home or Pro; and b)
    >> exactly what Wispro's software did that you need.
    >
    > a) I have XP Home.
    > b) Her is an extract of the first help page from the program:
    > ------------8<--------------------------------------------------------
    > Security Manager is a tool to visualize permissions of files and
    > directories on NTFS partitions. It also has some powerful methods to
    > edit these permissions. Whereas File Manager and Windows Explorer show
    > security information only on command and for a selected file or
    > directory, Security Manager displays it automatically for all files of
    > a directory (Directory Window) or even for a complett directory tree
    > (Deep View Window).
    > Besides you can search for owners and/or permissions and you can
    > generate reports, to document the current security information.
    >
    > Besides similar security editing possibilities like File Manager or
    > Window Explorer, Security Manager has following powerful features:
    >
    > + Using Copy/Replace you can copy permissions list from one directory
    > or file to others.
    > + As administrator you can add permissions or remove permissions
    > independent of existing access permissions. Even if you have no access
    > rights, this will work (but you must have appropriate User Rights) !
    > + As administrator you can set the owner.
    > + Using the command Replace User/Group one account in the security
    > information of all subdirectories and files of the selected directory
    > can be replaced with another one.
    >
    > Here is a screenshot: http://img149.exs.cx/img149/4067/secumgr8es.png
    >
    >> Please post back with clarification for more specific help. XP Pro
    >> has the Group Policy Editor (Start>Run gpedit.msc) which gives you
    >> quite a lot of control. The Policy Editor is not available in Home,
    >> but MVP Doug Knox has written an application which fills the gap. Get
    >> his Security Console from his site www.dougknox. com.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip. But I think that the Security Console is a
    > replacement of the Group Policy Editor. Both are not for manage of
    > permissions but of rights. I'm looking for a tool for manage the
    > permissions of files and directories. Primaly I want to have an
    > overview of the permissions of all files in one directry or/and below.
    >
    > I post to this group because I hope there are more people on the world
    > who speak english rather then german. I have also make a post to a
    > german group.
    >
    > Klaus

    And you don't want to upgrade to Pro? Apparently you don't want to use
    another version of Wispro? I did a Google using the search term,
    "software like Wispro" and came up with this link to SecurityFocus's
    listing of various security products. Maybe something there will be
    useful for you:

    http://ks.securityfocus.com/securityfocus/MainServlet?ksAction=Home

    Perhaps someone else reading this newsgroup will have a good suggestion
    for you, too. I'm sorry I can't point you at exactly what you need.
    Maybe just upgrading to Pro would be a better fit for you since that
    would give you the fine-grained permissions missing in Home. It would
    also give you the ability to make new user groups, assign the
    permissions you want, and add specific users to those groups.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers