Comparing ATI with GeForce

Could anyone tell me why ATI Radeon 9800 XT R360 is better than GeForce FX
5950 Ultra?

Thank You Very Much In Advance
10 answers Last reply
More about comparing geforce

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:01:41 GMT, "Simon Dexter" <SimonDex@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Could anyone tell me why ATI Radeon 9800 XT R360 is better than GeForce FX
    >5950 Ultra?
    >
    >Thank You Very Much In Advance

    It's not, is the simple truth. They both perform about the same, with
    the 5950 taking some benchmarks and the 9800XT taking others.
    Price should be the deciding factor.

    Slug wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:01:41 GMT, "Simon Dexter" <SimonDex@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Could anyone tell me why ATI Radeon 9800 XT R360 is better than
    >> GeForce FX 5950 Ultra?
    >>
    >> Thank You Very Much In Advance
    >>

    > It's not, is the simple truth. They both perform about the same, with
    > the 5950 taking some benchmarks and the 9800XT taking others.
    > Price should be the deciding factor.

    I disagree. There are two areas where the Radeon98xx will do better
    than the FX59xx.
    Implementation of Pixel Shaders 2.0
    Layout of the rendering 'pipes'. 1 x 8 in FX and 2 x 4 in Radeon. The
    areas it just works out best in show up best in things like full details
    in Far Cry and Nature test in 3DMark2001SE. I'm sure there are other
    practical examples, I just don't have any at hand. Other than such as
    this, they do perform about the same overall, with a little give and
    take.
    McG.

    No no no....

    If you are a Nvidia Fanboy then Nvidia's Geforce will always be better if
    not ATI is Cheating!!!

    If you are ATI Fanboy then ATI Radeons will always be better if not Nvidia
    id Cheating !!!

    If you have common sense they both bench fairlt close to one another
    comparing Apples with Apples, just matter of Price.

    > Slug wrote:
    > > On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:01:41 GMT, "Simon Dexter" <SimonDex@yahoo.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Could anyone tell me why ATI Radeon 9800 XT R360 is better than
    > >> GeForce FX 5950 Ultra?
    > >>
    > >> Thank You Very Much In Advance
    > >>

    > > It's not, is the simple truth. They both perform about the same, with
    > > the 5950 taking some benchmarks and the 9800XT taking others.
    > > Price should be the deciding factor.
    >
    > I disagree. There are two areas where the Radeon98xx will do better
    > than the FX59xx.
    > Implementation of Pixel Shaders 2.0
    > Layout of the rendering 'pipes'. 1 x 8 in FX and 2 x 4 in Radeon. The
    > areas it just works out best in show up best in things like full details
    > in Far Cry and Nature test in 3DMark2001SE. I'm sure there are other
    > practical examples, I just don't have any at hand. Other than such as
    > this, they do perform about the same overall, with a little give and
    > take.
    > McG.

    9800XT is considerably cheaper than 5950. Other than that, it is faster in
    most of modern games.
    Looking at Tom's hardware shack, I can see 9800XT leading the charts for
    almost every game (except X2 and quake3, which is too old to matter now).

    So simple answer is 9800XT is somewhat better than 5950 because it runs most
    new games faster, AA enabled or not.

    "Slug" <no@email.here> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:01:41 GMT, "Simon Dexter" <SimonDex@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Could anyone tell me why ATI Radeon 9800 XT R360 is better than GeForce
    FX
    > >5950 Ultra?
    > >
    > >Thank You Very Much In Advance
    > >

    > It's not, is the simple truth. They both perform about the same, with
    > the 5950 taking some benchmarks and the 9800XT taking others.
    > Price should be the deciding factor.

    > Layout of the rendering 'pipes'. 1 x 8 in FX and 2 x 4 in Radeon.

    Are you sure? I thought 9800XT was also 8x1 ? Look at tomshardware.. VGA
    charts III.. it lists as both cards at 8x1.

    Heh heh! Well I'm not a 'fanboy' for either company. I own good video
    cards with Nvidia chipsets, ATi cards, and Matrox. All make very good
    hardware. I realize that the cheating on the drivers was probably true.
    For both companies at different times. Fierce competition huh? We can
    all benefit from that :)
    McG.

    Asestar wrote:
    >> Layout of the rendering 'pipes'. 1 x 8 in FX and 2 x 4 in Radeon.
    >
    > Are you sure? I thought 9800XT was also 8x1 ? Look at tomshardware..
    > VGA charts III.. it lists as both cards at 8x1.

    Anandtech is where I read articles about the hardware choices both
    companies made and what each would affect. Sorry I didn't save them
    now.

    McG.

    Simon Dexter wrote:

    > Could anyone tell me why ATI Radeon 9800 XT R360 is better than GeForce FX
    > 5950 Ultra?
    >
    > Thank You Very Much In Advance

    Hi

    Along with all the other comments, I believe I recall the ATI card
    performed better at higher resolutions, and especially with AA etc
    applied.

    Gordon

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:05:49 GMT, Gordon Scott wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Along with all the other comments, I believe I recall the ATI card
    > performed better at higher resolutions, and especially with AA etc
    > applied.
    >
    > Gordon

    And allso ATIs AA is of much higher quality than nVidias.

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 23:32:30 GMT, McGrandpa wrote:

    > Layout of the rendering 'pipes'. 1 x 8 in FX and 2 x 4 in Radeon.

    Actually, no. The FX has 4x1 or 4x2 (when multytexturing is in use). And
    all R3x0 cards have 8x1 no matter what.

Radeon ATI Geforce Graphics