Sign in with
Your question

Hangover Cures

Last response: in Sports & Wellness
May 20, 2011 2:50:04 PM

I got too drunk last night on cheap wine, now my body hates me. Other than drinking an obscene amount of water does anyone have a suggestion on how to make my brain stop hurting?

More about : hangover cures

May 21, 2011 8:52:05 PM

I wish I knew! Water and time are about the only options out there.
May 21, 2011 9:02:48 PM

Strong black coffee always worked for me. I stopped drinking a long time ago but I was somewhat of a party animal in my college years. Starbucks and I developed a close relationship that has lasted through the years.
May 21, 2011 9:50:09 PM

They do sell over the counter hangover medicine.

BC powder works fast for the headache.
May 26, 2011 2:00:30 PM

Pint of water and paracetamol before you go to bed.

Then in the morning a bacon butty and a pint of Irn Bru!

Sorted.
May 26, 2011 2:14:36 PM

What I do when I have a hangover I drink lots of water and I'm going jogging. In general, I fainted after 350 meters and when I wake up, it'll really better.

(I advises against paracetamol: hepatotoxicity could be enhanced by alcohol metabolism... but it works, i know)
May 27, 2011 1:12:27 AM

Agreed. You have to watch what you take when alcohol is in your system at a high level. I prefer to chug a bunch of water before bed and then take some tylenol or something like that in the morning to cut down on any interactions. Usually gets the job done in a few hours.
May 27, 2011 1:25:32 AM

Yep. Aspirin or its derivatives are not good for the liver when alcohol is in the system.

wanamingo, you might try better wine next time.
May 27, 2011 5:51:42 AM

I've always found red wine to give me a splitting-pounding headache just an hour or so after drinking it, hence I don't even bother anymore. White wine on the other hand doesn't have that affect on me and I actually enjoy the taste in comparison to red wine. It's rare though when I drink wine- gimme beer any day.
May 27, 2011 6:27:19 AM

buwish said:
I've always found red wine to give me a splitting-pounding headache just an hour or so after drinking it, hence I don't even bother anymore. White wine on the other hand doesn't have that affect on me and I actually enjoy the taste in comparison to red wine. It's rare though when I drink wine- gimme beer any day.

You'd do a lot of girlfriends in France
I think I must have two or three bottles of red wine could make you change your mind ^^
May 27, 2011 4:47:40 PM

My sister is an EMT. When they get hungover they use IV fluids (banna bags as their called). They work awesome.

Other than that there is a certain green herb but I can't comment on the legality...
May 27, 2011 9:30:28 PM

Yes, keep the "drug talk" to things that are generally legal in most countries or prescription. ;) 

IV fluids do wonders, but I'm far too cheap to go to the ER for one- not to mention I despise needles.

May 27, 2011 10:28:19 PM

Amazing no one has mentioned hangover medicine, which is available of the counter. Go figure.
May 28, 2011 1:40:37 AM

Pfff nothing better than a Popsicle after a hang over... might not cure it but damn it hits the spot :D 
May 28, 2011 9:18:01 PM

I think that the "hangover medicine" out there is just a marketing ploy to get you to spend money. I've tried a few of them to no avail.
May 31, 2011 6:10:04 PM

buwish said:
I think that the "hangover medicine" out there is just a marketing ploy to get you to spend money. I've tried a few of them to no avail.

I agree with that, same reason "big dick pills" are sold at gas stations.

I did some research and drinking water while drinking booze is the best way to lessen a hangover. I did also find out this tidbit (Online so please verify....) that eating severly burned toast will dramatically reduce a hangover, the reasoning behind it is your liver uses carbon to filter the poison alcohol out of your system and the black burnt part of toast is nothing but carbon :/ 

Ive just got a soft spot for red wine, NOT merlot......ever. Just like a nice red zinfandel. Not a big fan of white wines though.......
June 1, 2011 2:06:59 AM

Yep, those "male enhancement" pills are the same thing in my mind. Heck, they both probably have the same ingredients in them, i.e. sugar or something stupid. I've seen those commercials late at night where Jimmy Johnson talks about "Extenze" and how they've sold over 1 billion pills. One, Jimmy Johnson must have no shame left and two, I highly doubt they've sold that many. Just a placebo.

I have never heard of the toast thing, I'll have to look into it and get back to you on it. Heck, I'll even try it out.
June 1, 2011 2:54:56 PM

wanamingo said:
that eating severly burned toast will dramatically reduce a hangover, the reasoning behind it is your liver uses carbon to filter the poison alcohol out of your system and the black burnt part of toast is nothing but carbon :/ 

Sweet! I'll try a salad of coal and pencils next time I'm feeling rough!
June 1, 2011 10:04:30 PM

Mmmmm...coal. :D 
June 2, 2011 4:33:42 AM

Doesn't sound right to me. (burnt toast.)

I agree that the best thing to do is drink water WHILE drinking. The headache is from dehydration, so don't get dehydrated. Other then that, water and headache medicine. What I want to know is what cures the whiskey $h17s that happen the day after....

Edit: About burnt toast, now I remember why its not right. One of the reason most women handle alcohol not as well as most men is that they make less of the enzyme that the body uses to break down alcohol. We don't use carbon.
June 3, 2011 12:12:57 AM

There are some women out there though that can drink drink and drink and drink- far more than a guy who isn't an alcoholic. I wonder how in the heck they do it.

I've found that Immodium works good for curing the day after time in the facilities. You may be stopped up for a day or 2, but it gets the job done.
June 3, 2011 8:09:37 AM

4745454b said:
What I want to know is what cures the whiskey $h17s that happen the day after....

Drinking quality Whisky is a good start. Violating it with soft drinks will not help matters!
June 3, 2011 8:56:12 AM

My usual choice when drinking that Makers mark, not usually considered low end stuff. I prefer to the JW black as it doesn't have that earthy flavor. I drink it on the rocks, I never directly mix it with soda. I do say directly because I usually drink soda while I'm drinking. (I don't drink a lot of water, I normal reach for DT pepsi instead.)

Edit: For the record the likes of Evan williams or Kessler have never touched my lips. The lowest end stuff I've ever had is JB. A lot like JD in my opinion. MM is the stuff I usually buy. The best I had was that anniversary bottle of JD. ($40 for a fifth.) Really good, but a bit too expensive for me.
June 3, 2011 10:21:21 AM

Charcoal (The black part of burned toast) is a natural detoxifier. It absorbs toxins in the intestines and helps the kidneys remove some of the toxins.

It is used by doctors in a lot of poisioning cases. But the small amount on the outside of burnt toast will do some good but not a lot.
Me and alcohol never got along, (half Cherokee), I'll stick with the green stuff.
June 3, 2011 10:32:53 AM

Exactly rick? The charcoal stays in your stomach/intestinal track. Alcohol leaves there and enters the blood stream. I don't mean to say charcoal won't detox, but unless you're doing it while you're drinking, it won't do you much good.
June 3, 2011 10:42:55 AM

A lot of "waste" from your blood stream is returned to the intestines before going to the kidneys. Here it is sorted . The solids become poo and the liquids go to the kidneys to be removed.
edit.
We have the large intestine. Which mostly put substances in your bloodstream. And the small intestines which remove substances from your bloodstream.
This is very over simplified answer. But conveys the main working concept.
The liver,appendix ,pancreace all play their part, but this as a hardware forum not a medical forum.
June 3, 2011 11:18:59 AM

Heck, anything to help the ol' kidneys out. I'm prone to kidney stones, i.e. had 3 in one sitting a few years back (it was a great time as you can imagine), so anything I can do to save the trouble of more, I'll try it.
June 3, 2011 4:49:42 PM

Never cared for American whiskeys, but I love me a powers or Jameson.

Or Oban if my girlfriend is working at the pub and the bos isnt looking ;) 

but red wine is my best friend when its -15 outside. Whiskey keeps me going till I black out and wake up covered in blood 5 states away.....naked.

Beer is a staple like milk in cereal.
June 3, 2011 5:45:07 PM

I remember those days (barely)! I used to drink whiskey (Jack) like a fish my sr. year or high school, but soon got sick of that. In college I tried every hard drink known to man, which is why I've banned myself from such drinks. My old guts stick to Miller Lite these days. ;) 
June 3, 2011 10:56:57 PM

Urgh American beer and spirits.

If you ever come to Scotland do yourself a favour and sample all the whisky you can and drink a bunch of ales. Anything exported to American is unlikely to cut it because so many export drinks are customised to American tastes rather than being the original deal.

4745454b said:
I drink it on the rocks, I never directly mix it with soda.

Whilst this might feel like the right thing to do it's not the best way to drink Whisky.

It's a common misconception that all spirits taste better when chilled. Whisky benefits from being heated slightly to bring out more flavour.

Additionally when the ice melts the mix changes. You should just add some water to get the right mix if you feel like it. Some, like cask strength Whisky, you'll absolutely want to add water to.

June 3, 2011 11:12:38 PM

Really there isn't anything to cure a hangover...It's all a myth!!..My suggestion is to eat alot of bread before drinking so you don't get a hangover...It works for me :) 
June 4, 2011 10:42:05 PM

Ill occasionally drink a Guinness, but I've never been too fond of the taste, as it is too "coppery-metallic" tasting for my liking. Now, if I were over somewhere in the UK, I'm sure it and many others would taste better due to the general freshness. The Russians make a decent beer, as I enjoyed the various brands I tried when i was over there a few years back. Of course, their vodka is just tops. It goes down like water and I must say, most Russians drink it like water in mass quantity.
Anonymous
June 5, 2011 3:38:38 AM

Go to a sauna and sweat the heck out of yourself while getting plenty to drink. than take a nice swim. then go back into the sauna and repeat.
June 5, 2011 6:40:34 AM

Quote:
Go to a sauna and sweat the heck out of yourself while getting plenty to drink. than take a nice swim. then go back into the sauna and repeat.

Follow this advice if you feel like dying. Do NOT go to a sauna. The hangover headache is because you are dehydrated. Going to a sauna will only make things worse. The plenty to drink (as long as its water) is good advice, but avoid the heat.
June 5, 2011 8:27:00 AM

4745454b said:
Follow this advice if you feel like dying. Do NOT go to a sauna. The hangover headache is because you are dehydrated. Going to a sauna will only make things worse. The plenty to drink (as long as its water) is good advice, but avoid the heat.

I don't know if it works, but i always try to make sport, no matter which as long as I sweat a lot. I feel better afterwards.
Anonymous
June 5, 2011 5:37:15 PM

Which is why you make sure you drink a lot of water in a sauna. Sweating is good for you which is the point of the sauna.
June 9, 2011 4:45:56 PM

Wanamingo

I've heard from other people that apparently having water helps greatly, that plus time.

Note, I do not condone or recommend the use of anything other than natural and legal products :) 
June 9, 2011 5:23:47 PM

What you do on your own time is none of my business. Nor am I against marijuana, much less the legalization of it (I'm all for it).

But let's keep the discussion of universally illegal drugs to a minimum in the forums.
June 9, 2011 6:02:16 PM

One thing i'd like to add. Usually if I had a hangover (rare), I find the greasier the food, the more it seems to help with the hangover.

One last thing... use anything (alcohol, other stuff...) in moderation. Too much of anything is not a good idea. Especially if they cause hangovers :) 
June 9, 2011 9:45:17 PM

I assumed that was what you were doing, i.e. giving info, which is fine. Feel free to give as much info as you want on pot, I'm just saying that it probably isn't a good idea to recommend it. It would be like recommending Oxycontin for a headache or something. ;) 
June 9, 2011 10:35:28 PM

You're right.

I would stick with water. Also like someone else mentioned, drink water in between your other drinks.
June 10, 2011 1:55:35 AM

On the morning after, Ginger Ale w/ a dash of Angostora Bitters does wonders for the digestive tract.

http://angosturabitters.com/

If ya up to it, spicey food and exercise help push the "poisons" out.
June 11, 2011 10:13:50 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
On the morning after, Ginger Ale w/ a dash of Angostora Bitters does wonders for the digestive tract.

ok, i'll try this tomorrow (i already know this hangover gonna hurt)
June 11, 2011 11:52:55 PM

Again, drinking water is the best way to prevent a hangover in the first place. If you know you're going to be drinking tonight, drink some water while drinking to stop it from even happening.
June 12, 2011 2:28:52 AM

I like to drink a lot of water before I start drinking, i.e. the day of. I've found that it lessens a hangover or gets rid of it all together. It comes in handy if water is unavailable while drinking.
June 25, 2011 3:25:49 AM

Water and a B complex tablet before i go to sleep !
July 6, 2011 5:46:02 AM

Hangovers cannot be cured, however can be lessened BEFORE alcohol consumption:

*Do not drink on an empty stomach. Each some bread or any carb 30 minuted before alcohol consumption.

* Wait 15 minutes after each 'round' 'glass' or serving of alcohol. It may take a while but after a serving, you will fell alcohol surging through your bloodstream

* After alcohol consumption take a break and drink your daily amount of water. If you have, get at least another 16 ounces in you. Alcohol can be a diuretic.

* If a hangover comes, do not panic...just wade it out. At least you can assure you prevented a very bad one later on and still had fun.
July 6, 2011 5:47:52 AM

Do not eat tums. Alcohol is basic...it will not help.
September 25, 2011 5:04:33 PM

As it's not illegal, I find that spice is the best way to cure a headache. Spice is essentially synthetic cannabanoids, and therefore has similar effects to marijuana.

Depending on where you live, there are varying degrees of legality, since there are a number of different chemical compounds that can be used in spice.

However regardless of your location there is always some type that's legal. It just might take a while to find =P
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!