What are the reasons to buy XBox?

G

Hi,
I am not trying to offend anybody who already bought or likes XBox. I wonder what are the reasons that for buying XBox?

Personally, I think XBox is just another PC. I would rather put the money for buying XBox into upgrading my own PC and make it more powerful and perhaps play XBox games on an emulator if exists. I doubt that XBox games would not be available on other consoles. Plus, I really hate the appearance of the XBox. It's really huge and ugly, especially the big green ORB in the middle.

Please share your ideas with me. Maybe I will go buy a XBox if convinced. :)

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Getting a PC at parity with an X-Box will cost far more than the X-Box console itself does.

Emulation is typically pants - at this point I don't consider emulation of any console more advanced than the SNES to be acceptable to the point where I would just as soon use the emulator rather than the console.

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

G

Well, Virtual Game Station works for me for most of the time. VisualBoyAdvanced works fine for me. Emulators will work well as long as you know how to configurate them well. Of course, emulators can't 100% replace the consoles. However, it is a solution that you won't have to buy every consoles to play the titles you want to. Unless you want to buy a specific shelf for all the consoles you buy. Consider how much will it cost just to buy every consoles.

Plus, I don't mean to start to setup a computer from nothing. I said "upgrade"! Unless all your components are 3 years old/older or out of mainstream, you won't have to spend more than a XBOX to have smiliar/better performance. Plus, PCs can do whole lot more things than a XBox can. Why buy another PC when you already have one or more.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
think about it- what are hooters- orbs. U saying u don't like hooters?

NOS and a <font color=red> Ferrari </font color=red> can be fun! :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by flamethrower205 on 12/08/01 09:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Yeap, but the plastic ORB looks damn cheap to me :p
If they use better looking material to make that ORB,
I might like it. At least, they should find some guy
to desgin a better looking case :p I like PS2 case,
Simple and Solid.

G

Well, I share with Snake's concern...

I have a Duron 700@933MHz cpu, 512MB ram and GF2MX-400. It's not a top gun pc but does the job to my satisfaction at least. Being a 3D gamer myself (HalfLife, RainbowSix, RedFaction...etc those kinda games) and not having owned any game console before in my entire life, I kinda sucked into the bandwagon with all the hype about Xbox, GameCube or the earlier PS2.

Having refrained from buying a game console for years already I am now at the juncture of reality check. Would anyone willing to share with me what have I missed in gaming aspect without a game console?

yogioner

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2001
Personally I think console and PC gaming are completely different experiences. An emulator does exactly what it says it does no matter how its configured. It simply "emulates" the console. The feeling of a console game is hard to replicate on a computer.

I find that one of the greatest advantages of console play is MULTIPLAYER. Sitting down with your boys with some beer and shootin the [-peep-] out of each other or racing is great. This cannot be replaced by internet play. Its not the same. The XBOX is great at this (much better multplayer capacity and games than PS2). If u like to sit alone and play games, a computer is probably enough. But if u like to socialize and have friends, the XBOX isn't a half bad choice.

G

now, why would we want to socialize with other human beeings? See, this is just the kind of simplistic, physical reality-tendentious that seroulsly threathens the future of the modern Western society.

old yoga proverb:
"when the dog farts,
it's time to fire up your incense."

G

the only reason to buy a console is the figting games and x-box dont have any good ones

<font color=blue>there are <font color=red>penguins</font color=red> living on my north bridge in my computer case</font color=blue>

G

I think, what you will get from the XBOX? Just good PC games ports. ALmost every one must have a computer at home, then why have a console that will have almost the same games? Those who like the 4-players capability of Xbox, Game cube also has 4 controller ports, but if your screen isn't big enough, 4-player games looks crappy.

G

Oh yeah! The green orb, along with the bulky case that looks like a X sucks! It's too big to fit in a drawer, and the shape don't allow other equipment to be stable over it, like my cable box. The controller is so hideous that Microsoft is developing a new one. The best controller design is, without doubt, dual shock 2. I never handled one, but the Gamecube controller looks nice too.

G

I bought it b/c I was tired of spending $300-$600/year to upgrade my computer to play good games. For a while I was into building my own computers and upgrading them to the latest and greatest, but now I'm into cars and don't want to spend any more money on my comp. Xbox is the first console with enough power to satisfy the gfx and technology whore in me, and contrary to popular opinion it will be getting some good exclusive games, to be announced at E3 next month. It also looks to be getting some good PC ports, like Morrowind and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Best of both worlds, and my problem is solved. Ironically I got a PS2 for Christmas 1.5 months after buying Xbox, so now I have both. PS2 is alright, gets a lot of games, but its gfx and level size suck compared to Xbox. At least all games but GT3 at least. Polyphony Digital must have some Assembly BSD's there, cuz GT3 and GT:Concept look great. Regardless, I'm confident that by the end of this year people will no longer be asking this question, as games like Project Ego make their appearance and up the ante for console videogames.

koolman_

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
The best reason to buy Xbox will b that u can show microsoft that v still believe and trust them =)

"Giving Up is the step towards failure"

Cstew77

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2002
I haven't bought a console since the days of the Sega Genesis. I game both on my PC and my xbox.

The main reason to get an xbox is the social aspect of it. You can invite a few people over and right away 4 of you can be duking it out. PC gaming can't compare to this aspect. Especially when you play Halo (which is the best launch title ever and arguably the best FPS ever).

As for the xbox's appearances, it's obvious the target demographic for the xbox is men in their mid-twenties - cause it matches nicely with my other stereo equipment. You don’t really see the ugly orb when it’s stacked between a DVD player and a VCR. The controller is something you either really like or really hate. I really like it. It's about time some one made something for us people with big paws. The nine foot cord is really nice and it comes with a quick disconnect so if you trip over the cord, you don’t have to restart the game (actually the game is automatically paused – a really cool feature).

As for xbox games not being on other consoles - you're right up to a point. Third part developers tend to publish games for all systems - and typically the PC.

As for just upgrading your PC and using an emulator, that depends on how new your PC is. If it's a decent system, it shouldn't need upgrading for a couple of years - and still be able to play to the lowest common system. If there is a difference between PC games ported to the xbox, perhaps that's it. The xbox's hardware is stable - won't change. So developers know the spec's and what it can do. Slightly different story with the PC - they have to develop to the lowest common system requirements, which for most newer games are around 550MHz (recommended) w/ a 32MB video card. So later this year you might see better looking games on the xbox...

Another thing I’m looking forward to is xbox live. It requires a broadband connection (not a big deal for me since I got hooked on a T1 line in college) and looks to really be cool if the on-line games are any good – it sounds like Bungee is going to make an on-line version of Halo and then there’s Unreal Championship.

The xbox isn’t for everyone, but I am quite please with it.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Now that I have an XBOX and I've been playing around with it for a while I'd like to make some comments:

The main reason to get an xbox is the social aspect of it. You can invite a few people over and right away 4 of you can be duking it out. PC gaming can't compare to this aspect. Especially when you play Halo (which is the best launch title ever and arguably the best FPS ever).
Well, you can play multiplayer on a computer through a LAN. Ever hear of a LAN party? :wink:

As for the xbox's appearances, it's obvious the target demographic for the xbox is men in their mid-twenties - cause it matches nicely with my other stereo equipment. You don’t really see the ugly orb when it’s stacked between a DVD player and a VCR. The controller is something you either really like or really hate. I really like it. It's about time some one made something for us people with big paws. The nine foot cord is really nice and it comes with a quick disconnect so if you trip over the cord, you don’t have to restart the game (actually the game is automatically paused – a really cool feature).
I absolutely agree; because I have big hands, I absolutely adore the XBOX. I've never used a game controller that didn't hurt my hand after prolonged use. The large XBOX game controller is better than any other controller I've seen.

Another thing I’m looking forward to is xbox live. It requires a broadband connection (not a big deal for me since I got hooked on a T1 line in college) and looks to really be cool if the on-line games are any good – it sounds like Bungee is going to make an on-line version of Halo and then there’s Unreal Championship.
Yup, I can't wait for XBOX Live! :smile:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Well I have just bought a Xbox and have not taken it out of the box just yet as the kids are still up and I wanna "test it" first lol, anyway I am pleased to hear all of your good comments about it and I am happier for making this choice over a PS2. :smile:

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new">A better place to be</A> :wink:

The_Thing

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
I don't owne an Xbox, but I have played one of my friends. And the carck about not socializeing, try a voice chat program, duh! There are hundreds of the, some of then are as clear as a phone. The Xbox is essentilly a PC, but it has advantages. Don't get me wrong, I'm more of a PC fan myself. First, PS2 sucks balls. IF you really look at the technology, and then compare it to PC or Xbox, its crap. The games don't have very good grapics either. The Xbox games are generally the same as the PC games. It is geared towards adults and older teenagers. Alot of the games found on Xbox are also found in the PC arena and visa versa. If you have an extra 200 or 300, go and get one. But if you don't have any extra money, then upgrade your PC. I personally think multiplayer on PC blows away anything else. Better gameplay, especially for first person shooters, and there are game updates. There really aren't too many updates for gameconsoles, a few perhaps. back to the performance thing. The Xbox is actually able to create 3D scenes that are on par with PC games, even surpass them in a few exceptions. This is because of a couple of reasons. True it is nowhere near as fast as a good custom gaming PC. But all Xbox's are the same, therefor the games can be completely specialized for it's hardware and take advnatage of all of it. Where as a not all Pc's are alike, there for the game has a generall design and does not completely take advantage of its capeabilities. Last, there is not OS to keep running the background, no complicated driver pathways to go through. Like mentioned earlier, PC's are a million times more useful. Xbox can only play games, music and DVD's.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I absolutely agree; because I have big hands, I absolutely adore the XBOX. I've never used a game controller that didn't hurt my hand after prolonged use. The large XBOX game controller is better than any other controller I've seen.

Remember the Dreamcast controller? Loved the fighting games, but could only play them for about 10 minutes before my fingers cramped...

And I know in this discusion, I am the minority, as I own not the ps2 or xbox, but a gamecube. Great system, a decent amount of games, and more of them are straying away from the kids arena (Metroid Prime is one of the best games I ever played). Ill stick to PC's for FPS in the mainstreem, much easier to control with a keyboard and mouse, and like everyone said, you can customize and update/upgrade games.

---------

If the Scatman can do it so can you...

---------

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I just bought my xbox, i love it so far, i picked up 12 games for it.. two controllers and a new 36inch hdtv.. my roommate and myself really enjoy it. through the hdtv its really something to see, tony hawk 4 in 720p is nice on a 36inch screen.

i dont have surround sound but that alone puts it shoulder, neck and head above anything else. i dont see a reason to mess around with any other system besides a PC.

Yeah it is a pc but thats a kind of. It has the games pc owners always want, like madden 2003.. and sorry, i have madden 2003 for pc and its just not the same...

i LOVE hdtv mode.. 1080 mode is higher than ive personally seen a computer monitor go, as dragons lair does.

my games include, morrowind (alot more bearable playing on a couch), house of the dead 3, toejam and earl 3, tony hawk 4, hitman 2, gauntlet, test drive, terminator, pirates, blood omen 2, madden 2003 and unreal championship.

i prefer the looks of the xbox because i use it as my dvd player (it doesnt take advantage of hdtv tho, so its a temporary situation). it fits in with my stuff nicely.. yes i am in the 20's range that the one gentleman said microsoft is after.

the hard drive is nice to cuz i can listen to zakk wylde's black label society, coal chamber, fear factory, a little clapton, jimi, and some ozzy when tearing it up in games.

America- The Home of the Brave

Athlon 1700+, Epox 8RDA (NForce2), Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 80GB 8MB cache, 2x256mb Crucial PC2100 in Dual DDR, Geforce 3, Audigy, Z560s, MX500

gillett

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
you can install linux on it.

Telephone rings off the hook by her bed
The other ends Johnny with a gun to his head
Said you always looked good in black
The next thing she heard was a bone chilling crack