Diablo 3 May Eventually Get Gamepad Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
LAN = Dead (unless your in competitive gaming, in which case it doesn't matter since this is a cooperative game)

Internet has improved, why should they spend extra development time to appease a very, very small percentage of people?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]LAN = Dead (unless your in competitive gaming, in which case it doesn't matter since this is a cooperative game)Internet has improved, why should they spend extra development time to appease a very, very small percentage of people?[/citation]

You are dead... LAN is very different from the Internet. You gather with all your friends, everybody has their PCs and the room is filled with adrenaline as you all pwn everything on your way... online gaming is NOTHING compared to it. If you've never played on a LAN party, I feel very, very sorry for you.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
I agree that the kiddie console gamepads work well the third person game types like Diablo but they still suck for FPS games and always will. FPS just happens to my favorite way to play a game with few exceptions like KOTOR. I am on a budget like most people and there are better games around the corner than a button masher like Diablo III. I will spend my cash on games such as SkyRim and possibly RAGE, I hear Deus Ex is good even though there is no quick save.
Activision/Blizzard, You can also keep you three part game SC2, maybe one year if you ever release a Battlechest I will pick it up in the bargain bin.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]You are dead... LAN is very different from the Internet. You gather with all your friends, everybody has their PCs and the room is filled with adrenaline as you all pwn everything on your way... online gaming is NOTHING compared to it. If you've never played on a LAN party, I feel very, very sorry for you.[/citation]

Sure have, remember playing old school Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Age of Empires, etc. all the time. That was also nearly 10 years ago, when everyone was still either on slow DSL or dial-up internet almost necessitating LAN play.

But this is 2011, nearly 2012. Hardly anyone is on dial-up anymore (save for you old folks :p). So yes, LAN is on the way out. Unless your in the competitive seen, everything can be done through the internet with stable rates. If anything people should be mad about having a constant internet connection to Bnet to verify credentials.

Let's also include that Blizzard this time is hosting everything server sided. So you can't host your own game (LAN, and for good reason). The reason being so no longer will your enter a server and see duped items, maphacks, etc.

There is a reason for everything. People just dismiss what they don't want to hear.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]You are dead... LAN is very different from the Internet. You gather with all your friends, everybody has their PCs and the room is filled with adrenaline as you all pwn everything on your way... online gaming is NOTHING compared to it. If you've never played on a LAN party, I feel very, very sorry for you.[/citation]
Agreed, best friends slamming back some cold ones as you play on your rigs is cool.

I like to use a controller for some of my pc games. It works really well for the Assassin's Creed games, some Splinter Cell titles, and I think I would prefer a controller if I ever got Diablo III. I have to use a controller for some games b/c of the carpal tunnel and the eventual huge red knot that develops on my mouse-wielding hand's wrist. It'll never be a great option for RTS, FPS, or RPGs though.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

First, not all countries have stable Internet (and it is NOT a small percentage...). Second, LAN >>> Internet. As I already said, gaming experience is better, you're independent on your ISP and games can be modded as you and your friends like. I remember playing Jedi Academy with all the bots modded to be 10x as powerful as normal... that was fun.

G

You can still have a lan party. Just your lan has to have an internet connection.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I'm telling you, get a cushioned mouse pad... dunno why you keep getting these knots :)

I can't play with a controller. I used to have one and play Quake 3 with it... then I realized my targeting will NEVER be as sharp as with a mouse. None of the games I play will be better without a keyboard. The only thing I could imagine myself going for is something like a Razer Nostromo.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
in less than 2 years, I will have residential Fibre channel internet at home. Couple that with a $69 16-port Gigabit switch, and a revamped Hydro Electric fusebox (to accomodate all these power supplies in one house) , the new and improved Lan parties will become once again, realised.

I sort of did. It's basically a rectangular bean bag. It works just as well or better than my old socks.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]I agree that the kiddie console gamepads work well the third person game types like Diablo but they still suck for FPS games and always will. FPS just happens to my favorite way to play a game with few exceptions like KOTOR. I am on a budget like most people and there are better games around the corner than a button masher like Diablo III. I will spend my cash on games such as SkyRim and possibly RAGE, I hear Deus Ex is good even though there is no quick save.Activision/Blizzard, You can also keep you three part game SC2, maybe one year if you ever release a Battlechest I will pick it up in the bargain bin.[/citation]

I would greatly prefer playing a FPS with a gamepad than a Diablo like game. Dual analog sticks works fairly well for controlling a first person view. (Less accurately than with a keyboard/mouse, sure, but it's a logical process that works.) An RPG like Dragon Age II I'm sure works well with a gamepad, as it's made to be a hack and slash game. Doing things in a general direction would be fine. But not for a Diablo game. You need to be able to target specific enemies. You could make it work with a gamepad, but it wouldn't play the same way.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]First, not all countries have stable Internet (and it is NOT a small percentage...). Second, LAN >>> Internet. As I already said, gaming experience is better, you're independent on your ISP and games can be modded as you and your friends like. I remember playing Jedi Academy with all the bots modded to be 10x as powerful as normal... that was fun.[/citation]

That's cool that you like LAN'ing, but it doesn't change the fact that Blizzard is doing this to prevent client side hacking, duping, etc.

And LAN gaming experience is your opinion. Just like mine that LAN is no longer a variable.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]That's cool that you like LAN'ing, but it doesn't change the fact that Blizzard is doing this to prevent client side hacking, duping, etc.And LAN gaming experience is your opinion. Just like mine that LAN is no longer a variable.[/citation]

Being able to play with a group of friends in the same room is better than everyone sitting in their own room. It just is. That's the only point that matters. It doesn't really affect me, because with a family now it doesn't really work to go to LAN parties. But the point stands.

G

Wouldn't be so bad, but these days, you struggle to play on the same game on the same internet connection.

"ghosting" -_-

Apparently, diablo is meant to have some clever thingymabob to reduce lag despite latency. If they really need the internet thing, why not have 1 connected person 'Host', creating the lan without the dupes.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008

Hmm, I JUST did that like last weekend with League of Legends at my buddy's house - 5 people with desktops and laptops. Except we were all online and no LAN required. I feel sorry that your internet connection cannot support 5 people playing online games at the same time (ie, DSL or slower). Welcome to the second decade of the twenty first century.

Posting from work, so need this disclaimer:
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
"we feel that the controls and the style of the game lend itself to a console"

Sorry, I'm typically not an elitist, but this statement kind of causes a bit of annoyance. This game can not be true Diablo-style gameplay if a controller is being seriously considered a viable option. Diablo 2 -- and to a lesser extent, Diablo 3 -- needed the ability to quickly navigate through all your skills with a quick spin of the mousewheel and target distinct enemies quickly (IE kill a resurrecting monster without targeting the minions in the way). The only two possibilities that will fit a gamepad are general-direction-based targeting (so now those minions all get in your way), or an imprecise joystick-controlled cursor (which, with the horrible unit stickiness I remember from C&C3 on console, will STILL probably lead to targeting minions). Or... they might have something else entirely in mind.

Not saying it's going to be bad because of this, but it will not be the point-and-click adventure we all want.

Saulot

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Personally, I would prefer to play with keyboard/mouse. I don't really have any interest in "direct control" in a Diablo game. Some other games, certainly, but variety is good.

That said, I'm sure that they can develop a controller scheme that is enjoyable for those who want it, and I don't think that controls are a big obstacle toward a console version of Diablo III. The big obstacle is the online system - specifically, the effort Blizzard has put into developing Battle.net 2.0, and the decisions they have made with it make it seem unlikely that they would be willing to surrender any control to Sony or Microsoft this time around. Furthermore, the quality control process for patching console games seems hard to reconcile with Blizzard's patching cycles.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]That's cool that you like LAN'ing, but it doesn't change the fact that Blizzard is doing this to prevent client side hacking, duping, etc.And LAN gaming experience is your opinion. Just like mine that LAN is no longer a variable.[/citation]

No Blizzard is doing it so they can tell you how THEY want you to play the game not how you want to. Yes duping and hacking was bad but it was nothing compared to the FORCED "You will play in a party like we want you to experience." When they say you will play the game a certain way they mean it and enforce it. It got boring redoing your character over and over again because they kept nerfing them. It was a crappy experience for many users.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]I agree that the kiddie console gamepads work well the third person game types like Diablo but they still suck for FPS games and always will. FPS just happens to my favorite way to play a game with few exceptions like KOTOR. I am on a budget like most people and there are better games around the corner than a button masher like Diablo III. I will spend my cash on games such as SkyRim and possibly RAGE, I hear Deus Ex is good even though there is no quick save.Activision/Blizzard, You can also keep you three part game SC2, maybe one year if you ever release a Battlechest I will pick it up in the bargain bin.[/citation]
Deus Ex does have quick save.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I'm telling you, get a cushioned mouse pad... dunno why you keep getting these knots I can't play with a controller. I used to have one and play Quake 3 with it... then I realized my targeting will NEVER be as sharp as with a mouse. None of the games I play will be better without a keyboard. The only thing I could imagine myself going for is something like a Razer Nostromo.[/citation]

Just because you dont like to use a controller for some things (or anything, for that matter), doesnt mean others dont. If he finds using one more comfortable, especially because of his carpal tunnel, more power to him. While I myself do prefer PC gaming and using a KB/M, Im not gonna look down at anyone or hint they are doing it wrong because they choose to try something else. To each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.