Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Old 'My documents' inaccessible after reinstalling XP Home

Tags:
  • My Documents
  • Windows XP
January 17, 2005 4:45:01 PM

Hi, I wonder if anyone can possibly help solve a real problem for me?

I had to reinstall Windows XP Home from CD earlier today as my system would
not even allow me to repair an major Win32 error. I can see my previous
screen-name's "My Documents" when I look at the C-drive so I know they are
there ... I can also access other screen-names old "My Documents" items.

However, I realise that the reason I cannot access my documents in the
previous "My Documents" is because I passworded my screen-name.

Does anyone know how I can somehow work around this problem and access all
my files stored under my old screen-name. There must be a way to get around
the system but all attempts are telling me that "access denied"!

Any help most gratefully received. Thanks for reading my heartfelt plea!

More about : documents inaccessible reinstalling home

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:08:43 PM

Take Ownership, #9 on this page:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/adsecurity.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Moonpoppy" <Moonpoppy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I wonder if anyone can possibly help solve a real problem for me?
>
> I had to reinstall Windows XP Home from CD earlier today as my system
> would
> not even allow me to repair an major Win32 error. I can see my previous
> screen-name's "My Documents" when I look at the C-drive so I know they are
> there ... I can also access other screen-names old "My Documents" items.
>
> However, I realise that the reason I cannot access my documents in the
> previous "My Documents" is because I passworded my screen-name.
>
> Does anyone know how I can somehow work around this problem and access all
> my files stored under my old screen-name. There must be a way to get
> around
> the system but all attempts are telling me that "access denied"!
>
> Any help most gratefully received. Thanks for reading my heartfelt plea!
March 16, 2011 11:09:57 PM

I did a fresh reinstall of XP Pro on the C drive, and a file on the E drive was inaccessible as described above. Other folders on the same drive were accessible. I used Stellar Data Recovery to good effect; http://www.stellarinfo.com/

Seems that wiping the C drive wiped the key but Stellar was able to retrieve it from the E or native drive.

Good luck.
Related resources
March 17, 2011 4:28:23 PM

cboatner said:
I did a fresh reinstall of XP Pro on the C drive, and a file on the E drive was inaccessible as described above. Other folders on the same drive were accessible. I used Stellar Data Recovery to good effect; http://www.stellarinfo.com/

Seems that wiping the C drive wiped the key but Stellar was able to retrieve it from the E or native drive.

Good luck.

Thanks for helping this guy with a 6 year old issue, I'm sure he'll be happy he can use his computer now.
March 18, 2011 5:23:04 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Thanks for helping this guy with a 6 year old issue, I'm sure he'll be happy he can use his computer now.

Agreed! And if others can benefit from my experience then this forum has served its purpose. :)
March 18, 2011 5:47:19 PM

I think you missed the 6 year old issue part. You'd be lucky if people come back to check on an answer in a week much less years. Guy probably went though 2 new computers after this post.

And your fix is not a fix but an ad for a product as data recovery is no-where close to be the right fix for this issue. Which was posted 6 years ago.
March 18, 2011 8:51:09 PM

All prescribed fixes on this forum and others were inadequate. If the folder is encrypted as I suspect that it was, and the C drive is wiped clean with a fresh install, then the encryption key on the C drive will be lost and the folder can not be accessed by changing ownership as that option will not be available to the user.
November 16, 2011 10:44:46 AM

hang-the-9 said:
I think you missed the 6 year old issue part. You'd be lucky if people come back to check on an answer in a week much less years. Guy probably went though 2 new computers after this post.

And your fix is not a fix but an ad for a product as data recovery is no-where close to be the right fix for this issue. Which was posted 6 years ago.

You are absolutely correct! When we have a problem with our computer, we want a fix and not an ad or an offer to install a program to repair Windows. The problem this person and I am also having is reinstalling Windows XP Home over another copy from CD. The previous copy was corrupted and locking up the computer after uninstalling McAfee. By the way, Windows usually does become corruped after uninstalling most anti-virus software. The new Windows XP works all right. However, the programs and my documents remain under my old User name which I cannot access because it had Administrative rights. All of the software is still installed there as well which is using double the space on my computer since I had to reinstall all my software from CD's after reinstalling Windows XP.

I can access all of the files in other User Account that do not have Administrative rights by going into Windows Explorer. The issue is the Administrative rights protection on my User Account that does not allow me to access my files. I supposed I need a fix t Uninstall the previous copy of the software under the former User account also.

I tried going to a Command Prompt to access My Documents under my old User name but is denied access.

It appears that the cleanest fix for my computer to remove former User Accounts and duplicate copies of software that are installed would be the ultimate: FORMAT THE C: DRIVE and reinstall all software and copy My Documents back. However, I have a folder or two that I somehow did not backup onto my flash drive before I reinstalled Windows XP that would like to recover. Any positive suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. - Cheryl