Restrict the ability to change the computer name in Window..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi

I need to know how to remove the ability to change the local workstations
computer name? I cant find anything for this in the Group Policy...Is there a
reg key or something?

Possibly to disable the properties of My Network Places?

HELP Please.....
9 answers Last reply
More about restrict ability change computer window
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    You can disable the Control Panel, which, i guess, simultaneously disables
    the My Computer properties. And, also, you can disable My Network Places and
    some other settings folders.
    To disable Control Panel:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE(or better
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER)\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoControlPanel
    (DWord value). Set this to 1. To disable settings folders, add parameter
    named NoSetFolders of the DWORD type in the same place and assign it's value
    also to 1.
    Or: download Registry Guide from www.winguides.com. i'm not sure whether
    i've downloaded it from there, but it's there and it's free.Good Luck!
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Turnby wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I need to know how to remove the ability to change the local
    > workstations computer name? I cant find anything for this in the
    > Group Policy...Is there a reg key or something?
    >
    > Possibly to disable the properties of My Network Places?
    >
    > HELP Please.....

    In addition to the other reply:
    A non-administrator can't do this anyway....and end users shouldn't have
    local administrator rights.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Turnby wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I need to know how to remove the ability to change the local workstations
    > computer name? I cant find anything for this in the Group Policy...Is there a
    > reg key or something?
    >
    > Possibly to disable the properties of My Network Places?
    >
    > HELP Please.....


    Just make sure that the computer's users don't have administrative
    privileges.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    both at once. - RAH
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Why even bother replying to this when you dont know, or don't answer the
    question!


    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > Turnby wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I need to know how to remove the ability to change the local
    > > workstations computer name? I cant find anything for this in the
    > > Group Policy...Is there a reg key or something?
    > >
    > > Possibly to disable the properties of My Network Places?
    > >
    > > HELP Please.....
    >
    > In addition to the other reply:
    > A non-administrator can't do this anyway....and end users shouldn't have
    > local administrator rights.
    >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Turnby wrote:
    > Why even bother replying to this when you dont know, or don't answer
    > the question!

    Because:

    a) this is a public newsgroup, not dedicated tech support you're paying for,
    and you takes what you gets
    b) the answer was pretty darn well provided for you by Siphiuel; hence my
    "in addition to the other reply" preamble
    and
    c) I'm correct in that non-administrators cannot change the computer name,
    and also correct in stating that that end users should not have anything
    more than limited user rights under nearly any circumstances I can think of.

    Does that answer your question?

    >
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    >
    >> Turnby wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I need to know how to remove the ability to change the local
    >>> workstations computer name? I cant find anything for this in the
    >>> Group Policy...Is there a reg key or something?
    >>>
    >>> Possibly to disable the properties of My Network Places?
    >>>
    >>> HELP Please.....
    >>
    >> In addition to the other reply:
    >> A non-administrator can't do this anyway....and end users shouldn't
    >> have local administrator rights.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    With all due respect, my client company WANTS users to have local admin
    rights, BUT wants to stop them from changing the ncomputer name. ..SO....is
    there any way to do so? Or must my client remove the users from the local
    admin, and then piece-meal back their local rights, like adding printers,
    drivers, etc....?????

    Surely in GPO Settings there is some way to control this.....And , no,
    taking away the entire Control Panel is not a good suggestion.

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > Turnby wrote:
    > > Why even bother replying to this when you dont know, or don't answer
    > > the question!
    >
    > Because:
    >
    > a) this is a public newsgroup, not dedicated tech support you're paying for,
    > and you takes what you gets
    > b) the answer was pretty darn well provided for you by Siphiuel; hence my
    > "in addition to the other reply" preamble
    > and
    > c) I'm correct in that non-administrators cannot change the computer name,
    > and also correct in stating that that end users should not have anything
    > more than limited user rights under nearly any circumstances I can think of.
    >
    > Does that answer your question?
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Turnby wrote:
    > >>> Hi
    > >>>
    > >>> I need to know how to remove the ability to change the local
    > >>> workstations computer name? I cant find anything for this in the
    > >>> Group Policy...Is there a reg key or something?
    > >>>
    > >>> Possibly to disable the properties of My Network Places?
    > >>>
    > >>> HELP Please.....
    > >>
    > >> In addition to the other reply:
    > >> A non-administrator can't do this anyway....and end users shouldn't
    > >> have local administrator rights.
    >
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    simpsongb wrote:
    > With all due respect, my client company WANTS users to have local admin
    > rights, BUT wants to stop them from changing the ncomputer name. ..SO....is
    > there any way to do so?


    No. If a user has local administrative privileges, he can do whatever
    he likes with the computer. That's why administrative privileges are
    normally assigned only to a very limited, trusted few individuals.


    > Or must my client remove the users from the local
    > admin, and then piece-meal back their local rights, like adding printers,
    > drivers, etc....?????
    >

    Have you tried assigning them Power User privileges? This should meet
    such needs, under most circumstances. And yes, added privileges can be
    granted to limited user accounts granting them full administrative
    privileges. Just ask your IT department to configure the computers as
    needed.


    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    both at once. - RAH
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Bruce

    Power Users would be interesting....my client trusts users at the
    workstation level, but wants the computer names left unchanged....I'll have
    to see if Power USers can modify the computer name.....

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > simpsongb wrote:
    > > With all due respect, my client company WANTS users to have local admin
    > > rights, BUT wants to stop them from changing the ncomputer name. ..SO....is
    > > there any way to do so?
    >
    >
    > No. If a user has local administrative privileges, he can do whatever
    > he likes with the computer. That's why administrative privileges are
    > normally assigned only to a very limited, trusted few individuals.
    >
    >
    > > Or must my client remove the users from the local
    > > admin, and then piece-meal back their local rights, like adding printers,
    > > drivers, etc....?????
    > >
    >
    > Have you tried assigning them Power User privileges? This should meet
    > such needs, under most circumstances. And yes, added privileges can be
    > granted to limited user accounts granting them full administrative
    > privileges. Just ask your IT department to configure the computers as
    > needed.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    > both at once. - RAH
    >
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    simpsongb wrote:
    > Bruce
    >
    > Power Users would be interesting....my client trusts users at the
    > workstation level, but wants the computer names left unchanged....I'll have
    > to see if Power USers can modify the computer name.....
    >


    No, only Administrators can do this.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    both at once. - RAH
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Computers Microsoft Windows XP