Restrict the ability to change the computer name in Window..

Hi

I need to know how to remove the ability to change the local workstations
computer name? I cant find anything for this in the Group Policy...Is there a
reg key or something?

Possibly to disable the properties of My Network Places?

HELP Please.....

You can disable the Control Panel, which, i guess, simultaneously disables
the My Computer properties. And, also, you can disable My Network Places and
some other settings folders.
To disable Control Panel:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE(or better
HKEY_CURRENT_USER)\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoControlPanel
(DWord value). Set this to 1. To disable settings folders, add parameter
named NoSetFolders of the DWORD type in the same place and assign it's value
also to 1.
Or: download Registry Guide from www.winguides.com. i'm not sure whether
i've downloaded it from there, but it's there and it's free.Good Luck!

Turnby wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to know how to remove the ability to change the local
> workstations computer name? I cant find anything for this in the
> Group Policy...Is there a reg key or something?
>
> Possibly to disable the properties of My Network Places?
>
> HELP Please.....

In addition to the other reply:
A non-administrator can't do this anyway....and end users shouldn't have
local administrator rights.

Turnby wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to know how to remove the ability to change the local workstations
> computer name? I cant find anything for this in the Group Policy...Is there a
> reg key or something?
>
> Possibly to disable the properties of My Network Places?
>
> HELP Please.....

Just make sure that the computer's users don't have administrative
privileges.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Why even bother replying to this when you dont know, or don't answer the
question!

Turnby wrote:
> Why even bother replying to this when you dont know, or don't answer
> the question!

Because:

a) this is a public newsgroup, not dedicated tech support you're paying for,
and you takes what you gets
b) the answer was pretty darn well provided for you by Siphiuel; hence my
"in addition to the other reply" preamble
and
c) I'm correct in that non-administrators cannot change the computer name,
and also correct in stating that that end users should not have anything
more than limited user rights under nearly any circumstances I can think of.

Does that answer your question?

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> Turnby wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I need to know how to remove the ability to change the local
>>> workstations computer name? I cant find anything for this in the
>>> Group Policy...Is there a reg key or something?
>>>
>>> Possibly to disable the properties of My Network Places?
>>>
>>> HELP Please.....
>>
>> In addition to the other reply:
>> A non-administrator can't do this anyway....and end users shouldn't
>> have local administrator rights.

With all due respect, my client company WANTS users to have local admin
rights, BUT wants to stop them from changing the ncomputer name. ..SO....is
there any way to do so? Or must my client remove the users from the local
admin, and then piece-meal back their local rights, like adding printers,
drivers, etc....?????

Surely in GPO Settings there is some way to control this.....And , no,
taking away the entire Control Panel is not a good suggestion.

simpsongb wrote:
> With all due respect, my client company WANTS users to have local admin
> rights, BUT wants to stop them from changing the ncomputer name. ..SO....is
> there any way to do so?

No. If a user has local administrative privileges, he can do whatever
he likes with the computer. That's why administrative privileges are
normally assigned only to a very limited, trusted few individuals.

> Or must my client remove the users from the local
> admin, and then piece-meal back their local rights, like adding printers,
> drivers, etc....?????

Have you tried assigning them Power User privileges? This should meet
such needs, under most circumstances. And yes, added privileges can be
granted to limited user accounts granting them full administrative
privileges. Just ask your IT department to configure the computers as
needed.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce

Power Users would be interesting....my client trusts users at the
workstation level, but wants the computer names left unchanged....I'll have
to see if Power USers can modify the computer name.....

simpsongb wrote:
> Bruce
>
> Power Users would be interesting....my client trusts users at the
> workstation level, but wants the computer names left unchanged....I'll have
> to see if Power USers can modify the computer name.....

No, only Administrators can do this.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: