User Account Setup

One of the areas I am completely new to is Administration. On one of my
computers (XP Pro) I am the 'Administrator' with no other name. (Yes, the I
do realize the security hazard of running in Administrator only mode.) On my
new computer(XP Home) I made the mistake of entering my name on setup. The
listing in the User Accounts show both Administrator & Janis (with
Adminstrative rights). But, for me, it messes up the simplicity of the the
Document & Settings directory as I want it for now until I have the time to
get up to speed. (I will be picking up the Win/InsideOut next week.)
'Stupidly, I assumed' that Home Edition was (unlike XP Pro) a non-workgroup
environment for the inexperienced lay user without too many parameters to
adjust.

This being said, is there any easy &, above-all, safe way of deleting my
name under the User Account so that just 'Administrator' shows in the User
Accounts? I vaguely recall the 1st time I made this mistake, support took me
into Safe Mode to undo this, and just leaving the Administrator dialogue box
blank when re-setup. Most importantly, If I undo this error, will I lose any
of my personalized directory setups (i.e. document links/start menu
setup/etc).

Thank you very much for your time... & patience,
Janis
3 answers Last reply
More about user account setup

    didn't understand very well. do you want to delete Janis? when you delete
    some, user it will prompt you to save her or his documents. i don't know
    about saving settings, probably not.

    Summerblue wrote:
    > One of the areas I am completely new to is Administration. On one
    > of my computers (XP Pro) I am the 'Administrator' with no other name.
    > (Yes, the I do realize the security hazard of running in
    > Administrator only mode.) On my new computer(XP Home) I made the
    > mistake of entering my name on setup. The listing in the User
    > Accounts show both Administrator & Janis (with Adminstrative rights).
    > But, for me, it messes up the simplicity of the the Document &
    > Settings directory

    Eh? You never *see* what's in there unless you deliberately go there in
    Windows Explorer!
    And you should *really* *really* think twice about deleting your User
    account. If your user account goes belly-up, (and it *does* happen) then the
    *ONLY* way into your machine is through the Administrator account. If you
    only have the Administrator account in existence, and THAT goes belly-up,
    you are stuck with a repair install of XP at the least, and if your XP was
    pre-installed, then it's hightly possible that you only have a recovery CD,
    and that would mean losing ALL your documents, emails etc etc, purely
    because you can't access the machine.
    think about it.

    Siphiuel wrote:
    > didn't understand very well. do you want to delete Janis? when you
    > delete some, user it will prompt you to save her or his documents. i
    > don't know about saving settings, probably not.

    Please quote the post you are replying to - most of us do NOT use the web
    interface to access these groups.
    Thankyou.

Security Windows XP