replacing the motherboard batery

bill

Hi All--

I'm thinking that I need to replace the motherboard battery in
my computer. One of the real die hards here. I have the old 685
Orlando board. The other day I experienced a funky situation which I
thought meant either the motherboard was toast or the Hard drive was
shot. Long of the short of it was, after several repeated tries, I got
a cmos battery message. It has since been working OK, oddly enough but
I think I should replace the battery. It has the Mr. Bios bios on it.
What is the procedure? When I pop the old battey out, will I lose the
bios recognition, the bios settings or what? I'd appreciate any
pointers here.

Thanks--

Bill

You will "lose" some of the BIOS settings, when they become corrupted due to
loss of battery power. When you next boot the system, it will tell you the BIOS
settings are corrupted. You can set them to the defaults, which will also
recognize the hard drive (and its capacity) and the CD-ROM drive. Unless you
did some minor customization of the BIOS settings (and even if you did), the
system should work OK with the defaults.

Also... Unplug the power cord before you replace the battery. ATX power
supplies leave a trickle electrical current flowing thru the motherboard, even
when the system is supposedly off. Working on a board with current running
through it is a recipe for disaster... Ben Myers