User Rights Install Fonts?

Hello,

I am responsible for about 40 computers on a Windows 2000 Server, which some
of them have XP Pro. Do not want users to be able to install software, so I
have them set up as a User. Although, I have one user who needs to be able
to install fonts as he needs them, but no other software or hardware.

With User rights, we get a message "The ERASER.TTF is currently being used
and cannot be replaced. Wait until Windows is finished using the file, and
then try again." It doesn't say you don't have permissions to do this.

When I give this individual Power User rights, he is able to install fonts
with no error message. I don't want to give him Power User rights. If I
give him Power User rights, he'll be able to install other software and
hardware.

Is there a work around to accomplish this? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank You,
--
Minione
2 answers Last reply

    Try to grant full access to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts.

    Diego

    --
    DiegoPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  2. Log on as administrator. Open command prompt as admin.

    attrib -r -s %systemroot%\fonts

    takeown /f "%systemroot%\fonts" /r /d n

    (optional - gives administrators full rights on the fonts folder): icacls "%
    systemroot%\fonts" /grant administrators:F /t

    You can now add or change permissions on the Fonts folder like any regular
    folder.

    Give user(s) modify access to %systemroot%\Fonts

    icacls "%systemroot%\fonts" /grant USERNAMEorGROUP:M /t

    Give user(s) modify access to %systemroot%\system32\FNTCACHE.dat

    icacls "%systemroot%\system32\FNTCACHE.dat" /grant USERNAMEorGROUP:M /t

    Give user(s) modify access to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
    Version\Fonts

Software Windows XP