non gen x person with new laptop setting up wireless LAN

I have set up my wireless internet connection (at home) and everything is working fine (thats amazing in itself). Both puters run on XP. Unable to set up the wireless LAN on same two computers and the help files are not making sense. Equipment installed is 802.11g wireless router WGR-200 and PC card WGC-220. Running on cable modem. The LAN connection shows in network connection with the message "network cable unplugged Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network". I thought I could use the wireless router to access the other computer, or do I actually have to run a cable?
2 answers Last reply
More about person laptop setting wireless

    dee wrote:
    > I have set up my wireless internet connection (at home) and
    > everything is working fine (thats amazing in itself). Both puters run
    > on XP. Unable to set up the wireless LAN on same two computers and
    > the help files are not making sense. Equipment installed is 802.11g
    > wireless router WGR-200 and PC card WGC-220. Running on cable modem.
    > The LAN connection shows in network connection with the message
    > "network cable unplugged Intel (R) PRO/100 VE Network". I thought I
    > could use the wireless router to access the other computer, or do I
    > actually have to run a cable?

    No, just disable the ethernet connection. It is the usual fix. For the
    wireless, use the quick start guide that came with the card. From a
    wired connection, access the router web interface http://192.168.1.1 or
    whatever the quick start guide indicates. The router interface for
    wireless will work right out of the box if enabled on the opening
    screen.

    thanks!...I'll give it a go now that I have a direction

Wireless Lan Wireless Networking