128bit vr 256bit

im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
TIA
32 answers Last reply
More about 128bit 256bit

    "cv" <cvbe27@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
    > 128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
    > performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
    > TIA

    Lots. Think about how much difference there is between a 9600SE and a 9600.
    The only difference between the two is 64bit vs 128bit memory. I'd go with a
    9600XT before a 128bit 9800 Pro.

    Are you referring to the amount of memory or the memory interface? The
    9800Pro with 128mb of memory is a steal compared to the 9800XT with 256mb of
    memory. Certainly not worth the extra $ for the marginal performance gain.
    IMO.

    "cv" <cvbe27@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
    > 128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
    > performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
    > TIA

    surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be between
    128mb and 256mb.

    "cv" <cvbe27@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
    > 128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
    > performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
    > TIA

    No, he is referrin to the memory interface. Be sure to get a 256 MBit card
    the 128 MBit is much much slower.

    Sleepy wrote:
    > surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
    > between 128mb and 256mb.
    >
    > "cv" <cvbe27@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
    >> 128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
    >> performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
    >> TIA

    Sleepy, Circuit City has two brands of the '9800', ATi and Vision Tek.
    Reading the box carefully, ol Grandpa sees a number of reason these
    'offbrand' parts are so much less costly. Same theme, just a confusing
    array of variations on that theme. Different brand of ram, slower ram,
    128 Bit Interface. ATi brand 9800 Pro, 128 megs ram, 256 bit interface,
    faster memory and core clocks. Perhaps not fully twice the performance,
    but certainly a full third more performance.

    I just checked the CC site again, the online store doesn't list the
    VisionTek 9800, only 9600's.
    Damn folks are always rearranging the furniture ;)

    McG.

    "Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
    between
    > 128mb and 256mb.

    Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!

    9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
    find now)
    vs
    9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
    compaired to other one)

    "Frank Schmidt" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote in message
    > No, he is referrin to the memory interface. Be sure to get a 256 MBit card
    > the 128 MBit is much much slower.

    bit... 256 bit.

    Shaun wrote:
    > "Frank Schmidt" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote in message
    >> No, he is referrin to the memory interface. Be sure to get a 256
    >> MBit card the 128 MBit is much much slower.
    >>

    > bit... 256 bit.

    :o) I could just see it now! 256 Mbytes on a 256 MBit interface.... 1
    byte deep x 256 mbytes wide. :o) !!! Now that's bandwidth!
    McG.

    Asestar <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote:

    > "Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
    > between
    > > 128mb and 256mb.

    > Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!

    > 9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
    > find now)
    > vs
    > 9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
    > compaired to other one)

    How can I check which RAM speed I have? I got mine last late summer. I
    have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW card with 128 MB of RAM. I do not see
    the information in ATI driver details.
    --
    "If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury. If I want to be
    a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing beggars and
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
    ( ) a returned e-mail.

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > Asestar <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote:

    > > "Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
    > > between
    > > > 128mb and 256mb.

    > > Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!

    > > 9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
    > > find now)
    > > vs
    > > 9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
    > > compaired to other one)

    > How can I check which RAM speed I have? I got mine last late summer. I
    > have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW card with 128 MB of RAM. I do not see
    > the information in ATI driver details.

    One more detail from the box: Double data rate SDRAM. Whatever that
    means.
    --

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:32:00 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >> How can I check which RAM speed I have? I got mine last late summer. I
    >> have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW card with 128 MB of RAM. I do not see
    >> the information in ATI driver details.

    You have to look at the ram chips themselves and look for a number
    like this: -1.8

    >One more detail from the box: Double data rate SDRAM. Whatever that
    >means.

    Just means it is DDR. Look up DDR on google if you want all the ins
    and outs.

    In article <zKWdnd9ltpr5RybdRVn-gg@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    >Asestar <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote:
    >
    >> "Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
    >> between
    >> > 128mb and 256mb.
    >
    >> Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!
    >
    >> 9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
    >> find now)
    >> vs
    >> 9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
    >> compaired to other one)
    >

    >How can I check which RAM speed I have? I got mine last late summer. I
    >have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW card with 128 MB of RAM. I do not see
    >the information in ATI driver details.

    PC Wizard 2004 will tell you and its FREE

    http://www.cpuid.com/pcw.php

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:32:18 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    .. n o> wrote:

    >"Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
    >between
    >> 128mb and 256mb.

    >Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!

    >9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
    >find now)
    >vs
    >9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
    >compaired to other one)

    Try - Filename: ATI-UTIL-Jan-2004.exe from :
    http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/atiadapterutil.html

    BoroLad
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Or Aida32. Now it's called Everest Home edition.

    <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:32:18 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    > . n o> wrote:
    >
    > >"Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
    > >between
    > >> 128mb and 256mb.
    >
    > >Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!
    >
    > >9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
    > >find now)
    > >vs
    > >9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find,
    costly
    > >compaired to other one)
    >
    > Try - Filename: ATI-UTIL-Jan-2004.exe from :
    > http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/atiadapterutil.html
    >
    > BoroLad
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:00:42 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    .. n o> wrote:

    >Or Aida32. Now it's called Everest Home edition.

    I just ran Aida32. Where does it tell you the speed of the ram on the
    vid card?
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    .. n o> wrote:

    >Or Aida32. Now it's called Everest Home edition.

    Yep !, got the pro version Nov 2003 but now that it's changed hands
    I'm not gonna re-buy just because it's called Everest Pro.

    Regards, BoroLad

    ><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:32:18 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    >> . n o> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >between
    >>
    >> >Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!
    >>
    >> >9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
    >> >find now)
    >> >vs
    >> >9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find,
    >costly
    >> >compaired to other one)
    >>
    >> Try - Filename: ATI-UTIL-Jan-2004.exe from :
    >> http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/atiadapterutil.html
    >>
    >> BoroLad

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <q8tkb01brf3m3o0q8i0sq5i43lprsok3be@4ax.com>, cvbe27
    @yahoo.com says...
    > im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
    > 128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
    > performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
    > TIA

    Shedloads.

    --
    Conor

    I started with nothing and I still have most of it left.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > >> surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
    > >between
    > >> 128mb and 256mb.

    > >Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!

    > >9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
    > >find now)
    > >vs
    > >9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
    > >compaired to other one)

    > Try - Filename: ATI-UTIL-Jan-2004.exe from :
    > http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/atiadapterutil.html

    Where is it in the program? I don't see the information.
    --
    "If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury. If I want to be
    a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing beggars and
    hunting ants? So if you want to love, love God." --Swami Vivekananda
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
    ( ) a returned e-mail.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Diskhead <disk@head.invalid> wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:00:42 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    > . n o> wrote:

    > >Or Aida32. Now it's called Everest Home edition.

    > I just ran Aida32. Where does it tell you the speed of the ram on the
    > vid card?

    I think I found it in my AIDA32 v3.93:

    Under Display -> GPU:
    Graphics Processor Properties
    Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
    GPU Code Name R350
    PCI Device 1002 / 4E48
    Transistors 117 million
    Process Technology 0.15u
    Bus Type AGP
    Memory Size 128 MB
    GPU Clock 378 MHz
    RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
    Pixel Pipelines 8
    TMU Per Pipeline 1
    Vertex Shaders 4 (v2.0)
    Pixel Shaders 1 (v2.0)
    DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0
    Pixel Fillrate 3024 MPixel/s
    Texel Fillrate 3024 MTexel/s

    Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type DDR
    Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?
    Real Clock 338 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 676 MHz
    Bandwidth 21632 MB/s

    Graphics Processor Manufacturer
    Company Name ATI Technologies Inc.
    Product Information http://www.ati.com/products/home-office.html
    Driver Download http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

    --
    "If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury. If I want to be
    a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing beggars and
    hunting ants? So if you want to love, love God." --Swami Vivekananda
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
    ( ) a returned e-mail.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<TI2dnSrGnqPl0CDdRVn-sA@mminternet.net>...

    > Memory Bus Properties
    > Bus Type DDR
    > Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?
    > Real Clock 338 MHz (DDR)
    > Effective Clock 676 MHz
    > Bandwidth 21632 MB/s

    That is the one!
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:46:00 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?

    Nope. Ram speed is measured in nanseconds and like I said before you
    have to look at the physical ram itself to get that info.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On 2 Jun 2004 10:14:58 -0700, superxml@yahoo.com (Dark Avenger) wrote:

    >That is the one!

    No it's not. :-)
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Dark Avenger <superxml@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<TI2dnSrGnqPl0CDdRVn-sA@mminternet.net>...

    > > Memory Bus Properties
    > > Bus Type DDR
    > > Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?
    > > Real Clock 338 MHz (DDR)
    > > Effective Clock 676 MHz
    > > Bandwidth 21632 MB/s
    > >

    > That is the one!

    Cool, then my video card is fast for now. ;)
    --
    "If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury. If I want to be
    a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing beggars and
    hunting ants? So if you want to love, love God." --Swami Vivekananda
    /\___/\
    / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
    ( ) a returned e-mail.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    I just dl'd and installed aida32 3.93 also, I get exactly the same info
    you do, even to the PCI device ID :)

    Yeah, it tells you what the memory is clocked at, the core, and the bus
    type and bus width.
    Memory clock is an actual 338 mHz which is effectively 676 mHz with DDR.
    The bus is 256 bits wide :) I do note it says the die is .15u, and I'd
    thought that the newer F revision boards were using .13u die, because
    everything seemed....smaller....than a year ago! :)
    McG.

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > Diskhead <disk@head.invalid> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:00:42 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r
    >> t . n o> wrote:
    >
    >>> Or Aida32. Now it's called Everest Home edition.
    >
    >> I just ran Aida32. Where does it tell you the speed of the ram on the
    >> vid card?
    >
    > I think I found it in my AIDA32 v3.93:
    >
    > Under Display -> GPU:
    > Graphics Processor Properties
    > Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
    > GPU Code Name R350
    > PCI Device 1002 / 4E48
    > Transistors 117 million
    > Process Technology 0.15u
    > Bus Type AGP
    > Memory Size 128 MB
    > GPU Clock 378 MHz
    > RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
    > Pixel Pipelines 8
    > TMU Per Pipeline 1
    > Vertex Shaders 4 (v2.0)
    > Pixel Shaders 1 (v2.0)
    > DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0
    > Pixel Fillrate 3024 MPixel/s
    > Texel Fillrate 3024 MTexel/s
    >
    > Memory Bus Properties
    > Bus Type DDR
    > Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?
    > Real Clock 338 MHz (DDR)
    > Effective Clock 676 MHz
    > Bandwidth 21632 MB/s
    >
    > Graphics Processor Manufacturer
    > Company Name ATI Technologies Inc.
    > Product Information http://www.ati.com/products/home-office.html
    > Driver Download http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
    >
    > --
    > "If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury. If I want to be
    > a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing beggars and
    > hunting ants? So if you want to love, love God." --Swami Vivekananda
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    >>> o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    > \ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
    > ( ) a returned e-mail.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:15:53 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >I just dl'd and installed aida32 3.93 also, I get exactly the same info
    >you do, even to the PCI device ID :)
    >
    >Yeah, it tells you what the memory is clocked at, the core, and the bus
    >type and bus width.
    >Memory clock is an actual 338 mHz which is effectively 676 mHz with DDR.
    >The bus is 256 bits wide :) I do note it says the die is .15u, and I'd
    >thought that the newer F revision boards were using .13u die, because
    >everything seemed....smaller....than a year ago! :)
    >McG.

    I think we have some confusion here, on my part. :-) I thought (having
    second thoughts now) the person that asked how fast the ram was on his
    vid card was asking the speed rating of his ram. As you know various
    manufacturer's use various brands and speed of ram on their cards.
    Mine is built by ATI 9800pro and it has Samsung 1.8ns ram, a lesser
    brand may use 2.0ns ram. This is what I thought he was asking about
    and not the mhz the ram is actually running at. But it is very
    possible I am wrong and he wanted to know how to find out the mhz
    speed his ram is running at.. Sorry for the confusion.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    > Dark Avenger <superxml@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message
    >

    >>> Memory Bus Properties
    >>> Bus Type DDR
    >>> Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?
    >>> Real Clock 338 MHz (DDR)
    >>> Effective Clock 676 MHz
    >>> Bandwidth 21632 MB/s
    >>>

    >> That is the one!
    >
    > Cool, then my video card is fast for now. ;)

    yep, and the FX5900 I just gave my son (I kept the new Radeon 9800 Pro!)
    for his birthday has a core clocked at 400 mHz and memory is clocked at
    425 mHz (850 DDR)...and it performs slower than the 9800 Pro with the
    default clocks :)
    McG.

    > --
    > "If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury. If I want to be
    > a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing beggars and
    > hunting ants? So if you want to love, love God." --Swami Vivekananda
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
    >>> o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    > \ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
    > ( ) a returned e-mail.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Diskhead wrote:
    > On 2 Jun 2004 10:14:58 -0700, superxml@yahoo.com (Dark Avenger) wrote:
    >

    >> That is the one!
    >
    > No it's not. :-)

    Is so! :op

    McG. ;)
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <btdsb0t971qmeh5v88n4i5v2v3qc0ae54q@4ax.com>, Diskhead <disk@head.invalid> wrote:
    >On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:46:00 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    >

    >>Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?
    >
    >Nope. Ram speed is measured in nanseconds and like I said before you
    >have to look at the physical ram itself to get that info.
    That reading is from PC Wizard 2004 and is made by the same people who make
    CPUID . I would trust the reading this program gave the original poster, not
    just assumptions.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <oh1tb0hb2dsugim2srds48f5r3l491ndjt@4ax.com>, Diskhead <disk@head.invalid> wrote:
    >On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:15:53 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    ><McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I just dl'd and installed aida32 3.93 also, I get exactly the same info
    >>you do, even to the PCI device ID :)
    >>
    >>Yeah, it tells you what the memory is clocked at, the core, and the bus
    >>type and bus width.
    >>Memory clock is an actual 338 mHz which is effectively 676 mHz with DDR.
    >>The bus is 256 bits wide :) I do note it says the die is .15u, and I'd
    >>thought that the newer F revision boards were using .13u die, because
    >>everything seemed....smaller....than a year ago! :)
    >>McG.
    >
    >I think we have some confusion here, on my part. :-) I thought (having
    >second thoughts now) the person that asked how fast the ram was on his
    >vid card was asking the speed rating of his ram. As you know various
    >manufacturer's use various brands and speed of ram on their cards.
    >Mine is built by ATI 9800pro and it has Samsung 1.8ns ram, a lesser
    >brand may use 2.0ns ram. This is what I thought he was asking about
    >and not the mhz the ram is actually running at. But it is very
    >possible I am wrong and he wanted to know how to find out the mhz
    >speed his ram is running at.. Sorry for the confusion.
    I think i got my wires crossed too!!!
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Diskhead <disk@head.invalid> wrote in <20esb0ddsed3h3jfk61bbl2k2p7g02ah66@
    4ax.com>:

    Neo, what are you doing on that side of the screen again! You soddy lad, get
    out of that damn matrix and give me a hug!
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Diskhead wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:15:53 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I just dl'd and installed aida32 3.93 also, I get exactly the same
    >> info you do, even to the PCI device ID :)
    >>
    >> Yeah, it tells you what the memory is clocked at, the core, and the
    >> bus type and bus width.
    >> Memory clock is an actual 338 mHz which is effectively 676 mHz with
    >> DDR. The bus is 256 bits wide :) I do note it says the die is .15u,
    >> and I'd thought that the newer F revision boards were using .13u
    >> die, because everything seemed....smaller....than a year ago! :)
    >> McG.
    >
    > I think we have some confusion here, on my part. :-) I thought (having
    > second thoughts now) the person that asked how fast the ram was on his
    > vid card was asking the speed rating of his ram. As you know various
    > manufacturer's use various brands and speed of ram on their cards.
    > Mine is built by ATI 9800pro and it has Samsung 1.8ns ram, a lesser
    > brand may use 2.0ns ram. This is what I thought he was asking about
    > and not the mhz the ram is actually running at. But it is very
    > possible I am wrong and he wanted to know how to find out the mhz
    > speed his ram is running at.. Sorry for the confusion.

    Ah, my new Built By ATi Radeon 9800 Pro-128 is a Revision 'F' board and
    the ram chips nomenclature starts with an HY-???? I believe this is
    Hyuandai? (sp?). To my experience, both Samsung and Hyuandai produce
    reliable parts generally. I have a readable photo clip of one of the
    ram chips. There are 4 lines, they are :

    HY50U283222
    AF-28 318A
    KOR 7L40389T

    So, where/what says the speed of the chip?
    McG.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Understand that the nanosecond rating of the RAM, 1.8ns, 2.0ns etc... is not
    the inherent speed of the RAM, meaning... the RAM is not then hard-coded to
    run at 1.8ns or 2.0ns respectively. Instead, the nanosecond rating is a
    measurement of the maximum reliable tested threshold of the RAM. There will
    be variations between the maximum attainable speeds of identical RAM chips
    out of a batch of 1000, just as CPU's will vary from one to another out of a
    batch of 1000. The fabrication process for RAM and CPU's is designed to
    maximize the yield of good parts, and afterwards measure each individual
    part for tolerances. When chip A does 1.8ns it gets a gold star. When chip B
    does 2.0ns it gets a silver star... so to speak, and they all get sorted and
    shipped out.

    So then what DOES determine the speed of the RAM? The speed of the RAM is a
    combination of its clock rate (i.e. mhz) and core latencies. One could argue
    whether or not RAM's SDR or DDR nature should be included in this category.
    I really don't know. Does bandwidth equate to speed? Not always. I guess
    it's a matter of semantics.

    "Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 22:15:53 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I just dl'd and installed aida32 3.93 also, I get exactly the same info
    > >you do, even to the PCI device ID :)
    > >
    > >Yeah, it tells you what the memory is clocked at, the core, and the bus
    > >type and bus width.
    > >Memory clock is an actual 338 mHz which is effectively 676 mHz with DDR.
    > >The bus is 256 bits wide :) I do note it says the die is .15u, and I'd
    > >thought that the newer F revision boards were using .13u die, because
    > >everything seemed....smaller....than a year ago! :)
    > >McG.
    >
    > I think we have some confusion here, on my part. :-) I thought (having
    > second thoughts now) the person that asked how fast the ram was on his
    > vid card was asking the speed rating of his ram. As you know various
    > manufacturer's use various brands and speed of ram on their cards.
    > Mine is built by ATI 9800pro and it has Samsung 1.8ns ram, a lesser
    > brand may use 2.0ns ram. This is what I thought he was asking about
    > and not the mhz the ram is actually running at. But it is very
    > possible I am wrong and he wanted to know how to find out the mhz
    > speed his ram is running at.. Sorry for the confusion.

Radeon Performance ATI Graphics