Windows Account & User Management over 4 Machines

I'm looking for some recommendations: I have 4 machines, on a LAN, 3 of which
I need to setup about 40 user accounts, and the fourth I was looking to use
as a administrator machine, and be able to monitor the other 3 machines. All
40 users must be able to use any of the 3 machines. It doesnt make any sense
to create 40 accounts on all 3 machines seperately, I was wondering if there
was a way to have them log on one machine perhaps on a LAN, or if I could set
it up on one machine and copy the policy files to the other 2? They are just
going to be user accounts only, I will have the only administrator account.
Any advice, recommendations, would be helpful.

I currently have Windows XP Professional installed on all of the machines.
I do have the option of upgrading to Windows Server 2003, although I don't
know much about it and if it would let me do what I am looking to do. Any
comments, tips, or other recommendations of software programs would be
helpful. I have heard of something called Novell? I think that does what I
want but is there a way to do this just by using Windows?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about windows account user management machines

    "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for some recommendations: I have 4 machines, on a LAN, 3 of
    > which
    > I need to setup about 40 user accounts, and the fourth I was looking to
    > use
    > as a administrator machine, and be able to monitor the other 3 machines.
    > All
    > 40 users must be able to use any of the 3 machines. It doesnt make any
    > sense
    > to create 40 accounts on all 3 machines seperately, I was wondering if
    > there
    > was a way to have them log on one machine perhaps on a LAN, or if I could
    > set
    > it up on one machine and copy the policy files to the other 2? They are
    > just
    > going to be user accounts only, I will have the only administrator
    > account.
    > Any advice, recommendations, would be helpful.
    >
    > I currently have Windows XP Professional installed on all of the machines.
    > I do have the option of upgrading to Windows Server 2003, although I don't
    > know much about it and if it would let me do what I am looking to do. Any
    > comments, tips, or other recommendations of software programs would be
    > helpful. I have heard of something called Novell? I think that does what
    > want but is there a way to do this just by using Windows?
    >
    > Thanks

    Setting up a Windows domain would allow you to centralize manage accounts
    and even have a 'roaming profile' for your users that follows on any machine
    they use. For example, their desktop icons and Internet Explorer Favorites
    would be the same.

    For a small organization like yours, Small Business Server 2003 might be
    more reasonably priced and more straightforward to set up.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx You would need
    1 server (the hardware specs are up to you-- it doesn't always need to be a
    top-of-the-line server class machine) and up to 75 workstations PCs.

    Otherwise, yes you will need to create a ridiculous number of user accounts
    on each machine and expect your users to keep track of a different password,
    potentially, on each machine. Or give up on accounts completely and just
    have all the machines log on to a generic account that everyone uses. (Not
    a great idea for security.)

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP

    Thanks Colin

    I will look into Windows Server Small Business

    "Colin Nash [MVP]" wrote:

    > "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking for some recommendations: I have 4 machines, on a LAN, 3 of
    > > which
    > > I need to setup about 40 user accounts, and the fourth I was looking to
    > > use
    > > as a administrator machine, and be able to monitor the other 3 machines.
    > > All
    > > 40 users must be able to use any of the 3 machines. It doesnt make any
    > > sense
    > > to create 40 accounts on all 3 machines seperately, I was wondering if
    > > there
    > > was a way to have them log on one machine perhaps on a LAN, or if I could
    > > set
    > > it up on one machine and copy the policy files to the other 2? They are
    > > just
    > > going to be user accounts only, I will have the only administrator
    > > account.
    > > Any advice, recommendations, would be helpful.
    > >
    > > I currently have Windows XP Professional installed on all of the machines.
    > > I do have the option of upgrading to Windows Server 2003, although I don't
    > > know much about it and if it would let me do what I am looking to do. Any
    > > comments, tips, or other recommendations of software programs would be
    > > helpful. I have heard of something called Novell? I think that does what
    > > want but is there a way to do this just by using Windows?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > Setting up a Windows domain would allow you to centralize manage accounts
    > and even have a 'roaming profile' for your users that follows on any machine
    > they use. For example, their desktop icons and Internet Explorer Favorites
    > would be the same.
    >
    > For a small organization like yours, Small Business Server 2003 might be
    > more reasonably priced and more straightforward to set up.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx You would need
    > 1 server (the hardware specs are up to you-- it doesn't always need to be a
    > top-of-the-line server class machine) and up to 75 workstations PCs.
    >
    > Otherwise, yes you will need to create a ridiculous number of user accounts
    > on each machine and expect your users to keep track of a different password,
    > potentially, on each machine. Or give up on accounts completely and just
    > have all the machines log on to a generic account that everyone uses. (Not
    > a great idea for security.)
    >

    > --
    > Colin Nash
    > Microsoft MVP