Overclocking a 9700 Pro

How do i know whether i can even overclock my 9700 Pro? I know nothing about
overclocking a video card. I mean, with cpu's you have temp sensors and all,
so you know if things are getting too hot

"Mike B" <sonofzeus26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do i know whether i can even overclock my 9700 Pro? I know nothing
about
> overclocking a video card. I mean, with cpu's you have temp sensors and
all,
> so you know if things are getting too hot

I used http://atitool.ocfaq.com/ to check the OC limits of my 9700 pro.
before then, I just used trial and error. AtiTool did the job for me.

you run the app and let it find the best OC for memory, then core. Once it
locks up at max settings, you check the log to see what it is and set the
card to few points below the crash point for mem and core. I've had the
card OC'd to those levels I found using ATITool and the card has never
crashed, yet I'm squeezing juice out of it to the max. make sure you test
max memory and core separately. AtiTool was actually recommended by someone
in this newsgroup. In addition, I've used the tool to test best OC settings
for my 8500 pro too.

Somewhere I've read that AtiTool didn't work that well for someone. But
like I said, it worked for me nicely and I have the same card you do

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

I use 3dmark03 to check for flashing pixels/black triangles and lockups. I
also suggest you first (especially if this is an older card) remove the
stock heatsink, and replace the stock compound with arctic silver.

rms