Column: Help Keep Your Computer Safe Using Windows Firewall

Column Help Keep Your Computer Safe Using Windows Firewall
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/atkin_firewall.mspx

Denny Atkin, a writer for the Windows User Assistance group, explains how
Windows Firewall works and answers the kinds of firewall questions a typical
home user might have.

Click reply below to ask questions or post comments about this article.

Thanks.

Chris Norred
Technical editor [MS]

More about column computer safe windows firewall

    My Windows XP Security (SP2) software is telling me that I need to enable the
    Firewall. When I go to the Firewall Icon in Control Panel, I get the
    following messages:

    "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
    service is not running. Do you want to start the Widnows Firewall/Internet
    Connections Sharing (ICS) service?" Yes No

    If I select "Yes," I get:

    "Starting the Windows Firewall/Internet Connections Sharing service…"

    Followed by:

    "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connections Sharing
    service."

    This keeps me from ever getting to the Firewall section with the three top
    tabs. I don't see anything and nothing launches beyond this point.

    What do I need to do to enable the Firewall?

    Thanks. Steve M.

    SteveM wrote:

    > My Windows XP Security (SP2) software is telling me that I need to enable the
    > Firewall. When I go to the Firewall Icon in Control Panel, I get the
    > following messages:
    >
    > "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
    > service is not running. Do you want to start the Widnows Firewall/Internet
    > Connections Sharing (ICS) service?" Yes No
    >
    > If I select "Yes," I get:
    >
    > "Starting the Windows Firewall/Internet Connections Sharing service…"
    >
    > Followed by:
    >
    > "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connections Sharing
    > service."
    >
    > This keeps me from ever getting to the Firewall section with the three top
    > tabs. I don't see anything and nothing launches beyond this point.
    >
    > What do I need to do to enable the Firewall?
    Hi

    See if registering the following DLLs helps:

    From Start/Run, run the following commands:

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

    then

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

    Then do a reboot.

    If that didn't work, and you have Service Pack 2 for WinXP installed,
    please try this:

    Start/Run --> cmd.exe

    and then, in the command prompt, type:

    netsh.exe winsock reset

    and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    I have Windows XP Firewall. I want to Install the Messenger MSN Beta Version,
    however, I am unable to do so. The message says that I am being blocked by a
    Firewall. I have turned OFF the Firewall, but to no vail. What do I need to
    do?

    Thanks!!

    "Chris Norred [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Column Help Keep Your Computer Safe Using Windows Firewall
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/atkin_firewall.mspx
    >
    > Denny Atkin, a writer for the Windows User Assistance group, explains how
    > Windows Firewall works and answers the kinds of firewall questions a typical
    > home user might have.
    >
    > Click reply below to ask questions or post comments about this article.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Chris Norred
    > Technical editor [MS]

    This is rubbish it doesn't work half the time when u have it on it just
    doesn't come up with the block message when i install sumthing new and
    connect to the internet
    Shaggy haired Kid

    "SteveM" wrote:

    > My Windows XP Security (SP2) software is telling me that I need to enable the
    > Firewall. When I go to the Firewall Icon in Control Panel, I get the
    > following messages:
    >
    > "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
    > service is not running. Do you want to start the Widnows Firewall/Internet
    > Connections Sharing (ICS) service?" Yes No
    >
    > If I select "Yes," I get:
    >
    > "Starting the Windows Firewall/Internet Connections Sharing service…"
    >
    > Followed by:
    >
    > "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connections Sharing
    > service."
    >
    > This keeps me from ever getting to the Firewall section with the three top
    > tabs. I don't see anything and nothing launches beyond this point.
    >
    > What do I need to do to enable the Firewall?
    >
    > Thanks. Steve M.
    >
    > "Chris Norred [MSFT]" wrote:
    >

    > > Column Help Keep Your Computer Safe Using Windows Firewall
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/atkin_firewall.mspx
    > >
    > > Denny Atkin, a writer for the Windows User Assistance group, explains how
    > > Windows Firewall works and answers the kinds of firewall questions a typical
    > > home user might have.
    > >
    > > Click reply below to ask questions or post comments about this article.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Chris Norred
    > > Technical editor [MS]

    Hi jig,
    There may be some experts in the MSN Messenger newsgroup who can help with
    that issue.
    Here's the URL for that newsgroup:
    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=msn&slcid=US

    -Chris
    "jiggerbug" wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Firewall. I want to Install the Messenger MSN Beta Version,
    > however, I am unable to do so. The message says that I am being blocked by a
    > Firewall. I have turned OFF the Firewall, but to no vail. What do I need to
    > do?
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > "Chris Norred [MSFT]" wrote:
    >

    > > Column Help Keep Your Computer Safe Using Windows Firewall
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/atkin_firewall.mspx
    > >
    > > Denny Atkin, a writer for the Windows User Assistance group, explains how
    > > Windows Firewall works and answers the kinds of firewall questions a typical
    > > home user might have.
    > >
    > > Click reply below to ask questions or post comments about this article.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Chris Norred
    > > Technical editor [MS]

    chris,i cant turn on my firewall having just downloaded xp sp2.when i try a
    boxed message comes up saying windows firewall settings cannot be displayed
    because the associated service is not running.then another box reads windows
    cannot start the firewall\internet connection sharing(ICS) service,help

    "Chris Norred [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Column Help Keep Your Computer Safe Using Windows Firewall
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/atkin_firewall.mspx
    >
    > Denny Atkin, a writer for the Windows User Assistance group, explains how
    > Windows Firewall works and answers the kinds of firewall questions a typical
    > home user might have.
    >
    > Click reply below to ask questions or post comments about this article.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Chris Norred
    > Technical editor [MS]

    Here is the solution:

    Download it:

    Run it.

    Restart the computer.

    It's fixed!!! Now you can start windows firewall !!!

    Thanks "'Option Explicit' (http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/)"

    --
    ARM
    ARM's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=12249

    "Chris Norred [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Column Help Keep Your Computer Safe Using Windows Firewall
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/atkin_firewall.mspx
    >
    > Denny Atkin, a writer for the Windows User Assistance group, explains how
    > Windows Firewall works and answers the kinds of firewall questions a typical
    > home user might have.
    >
    > Click reply below to ask questions or post comments about this article.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Chris Norred
    > Technical editor [MS]

Firewalls Computers Windows XP