bypass/resetting password

rox

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004

At startup, windows XP is looking for a password to log on. There was never a
password required before. I have tried all types of passwords and I cannot
log on. My computer is now useless. How can I resolve this issue. Please
help.

Use your TAB key and tab the cursor through the
password request box, then hit ENTER.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Rox" wrote:

| At startup, windows XP is looking for a password to log on. There was never a
| password required before. I have tried all types of passwords and I cannot
| log on. My computer is now useless. How can I resolve this issue. Please
| help.

rox

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004

Thanks for your reply Carey but your suggestion didn't work. The weird thing
is that when I click on the name, the password box does not come up. It
momentarily flickers to the desktop and then it goes back to where you have
to click to sign in. I managed to get to the password pop up screen by
pressing ctrl+alt+delete. Could this be some sort of virus as we never set a
password on the computer to begin with.
"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Use your TAB key and tab the cursor through the
> password request box, then hit ENTER.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Rox" wrote:
>
> | At startup, windows XP is looking for a password to log on. There was never a
> | password required before. I have tried all types of passwords and I cannot
> | log on. My computer is now useless. How can I resolve this issue. Please
> | help.

Malke

Rox wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Carey but your suggestion didn't work. The
> weird thing
> is that when I click on the name, the password box does not come up.
> It momentarily flickers to the desktop and then it goes back to where
> you have
> to click to sign in. I managed to get to the password pop up screen
> by
> pressing ctrl+alt+delete. Could this be some sort of virus as we
> never set a password on the computer to begin with.

Some people have experienced this problem after installing recent
Windows Updates. Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key as
it is starting up. Choose "Last Known Good Configuration". Sacrifice a
goat (or tofu if you are a vegetarian). This should get you into
regular mode where you can uninstall the latest updates. Look in Event
Viewer to see which ones they were.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

rox

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004

Thanks Malke, but this didn't solve my problem. It's still doing the same
thing. Any other ideas?

"Malke" wrote:

> Rox wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply Carey but your suggestion didn't work. The
> > weird thing
> > is that when I click on the name, the password box does not come up.
> > It momentarily flickers to the desktop and then it goes back to where
> > you have
> > to click to sign in. I managed to get to the password pop up screen
> > by
> > pressing ctrl+alt+delete. Could this be some sort of virus as we
> > never set a password on the computer to begin with.
>
> Some people have experienced this problem after installing recent
> Windows Updates. Restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key as
> it is starting up. Choose "Last Known Good Configuration". Sacrifice a
> goat (or tofu if you are a vegetarian). This should get you into
> regular mode where you can uninstall the latest updates. Look in Event
> Viewer to see which ones they were.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

Rox wrote:

> Thanks Malke, but this didn't solve my problem. It's still doing the
> same
> thing. Any other ideas?

Then I would use ntpasswd to change the Administrator password to a
blank and that should get you into Windows. It's easy to use; just make
sure you read the ReadMe:

Malke