client computer keeps getting 169.254.xx address

With a Linksys router, my client computer with a Dell wireless adapter
gets a strong signal, but instead of the 192.168.xx address I get a
169.254.xx address, and can never access the internet or use FTP, etc.
with the 169 address. Sometimes when I reboot or reset the adapter, I
get the 192 address. But the 169 keeps coming back, even with a very
strong signal. I have had the same problem using a Dell router. What
is going on here?
Howard Kainz
8 answers Last reply
More about client computer address

    Hi,

    The Options you Could try..

    Before trying below options 1 and 2..
    Try A,B,C if Operating System is Windows XP.

    A) disable firewall(XP firewall / Installed S/W like
    ZoneAlarm, MaCafee etc..)
    B) Undel network connections make sure that there is no
    bridge connection.
    C) Check for the XP Hotfix Q815485 from Add/Remove
    programs and if found.. Uninstall.

    ----
    1. Assign a static IP for the adapter:

    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

    Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
    OR
    enter the DNS IPs of your ISP. The IPs can be found in
    your router status page.. Check Linksys Router
    Documentation.

    2. Make sure that you have latest drivers for the adapter
    and latest Firmware for the router. After that if the
    problem continues try option 1.

    Regards,

    SonydreamZ

    "The Suggestions are not supposed to create any problem
    to your computer..still I'm not responsible for the
    any...."

    Hi,

    Please try to use the IP address: 192.168.1.10 not
    192.168.1.1 as mentioned in IP Address for Option 1.

    But Gateway/ DNS will be 192.168.1.1 Only...

    Regards,
    SonydreamZ

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 19:40:32 GMT, Howard Kainz <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >With a Linksys router, my client computer with a Dell wireless adapter
    >gets a strong signal, but instead of the 192.168.xx address I get a
    >169.254.xx address, and can never access the internet or use FTP, etc.
    >with the 169 address. Sometimes when I reboot or reset the adapter, I
    >get the 192 address. But the 169 keeps coming back, even with a very
    >strong signal. I have had the same problem using a Dell router. What
    >is going on here?
    > Howard Kainz

    Howard,

    Is it possible that you're seeing a strong signal from a source other than your
    router? Do you get a strong signal with the router turned off?

    How close is the router to the computer?

    Try setting the router to use another channel. (If 1, try 11; if 11, try 1; if
    6 try 1 then 11). Is the problem the same?

    And Howard, please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining
    viruses. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit
    safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
    internet - never post your address unmunged.
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    I checked the points you mentioned, but there was no "smoking gun."
    It's weird because the 169.xx address will sometimes go back and forth
    with my regular 192.xx wireless address, with the same signal strength.
    On one of the newsgroups I heard that this is a problem with Windows
    XP, but I haven't seen any solution for it.
    Howard Kainz

    SonydreamZ wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > The Options you Could try..
    >
    > Before trying below options 1 and 2..
    > Try A,B,C if Operating System is Windows XP.
    >
    > A) disable firewall(XP firewall / Installed S/W like
    > ZoneAlarm, MaCafee etc..)
    > B) Undel network connections make sure that there is no
    > bridge connection.
    > C) Check for the XP Hotfix Q815485 from Add/Remove
    > programs and if found.. Uninstall.
    >
    > ----
    > 1. Assign a static IP for the adapter:
    >
    > IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    > Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    > Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    >
    > Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
    > OR
    > enter the DNS IPs of your ISP. The IPs can be found in
    > your router status page.. Check Linksys Router
    > Documentation.
    >
    > 2. Make sure that you have latest drivers for the adapter
    > and latest Firmware for the router. After that if the
    > problem continues try option 1.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > SonydreamZ
    >
    > "The Suggestions are not supposed to create any problem
    > to your computer..still I'm not responsible for the
    > any...."

    Well, no signal at all if the router is turned off. I'll try using some
    other channels. Thanks for the tip about munging.
    Howard Kainz

    Chuck wrote:

    > On Sun, 09 May 2004 19:40:32 GMT, Howard Kainz <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:
    >

    >>With a Linksys router, my client computer with a Dell wireless adapter
    >>gets a strong signal, but instead of the 192.168.xx address I get a
    >>169.254.xx address, and can never access the internet or use FTP, etc.
    >>with the 169 address. Sometimes when I reboot or reset the adapter, I
    >>get the 192 address. But the 169 keeps coming back, even with a very
    >>strong signal. I have had the same problem using a Dell router. What
    >>is going on here?
    >> Howard Kainz
    >

    > Howard,
    >
    > Is it possible that you're seeing a strong signal from a source other than your
    > router? Do you get a strong signal with the router turned off?
    >
    > How close is the router to the computer?
    >
    > Try setting the router to use another channel. (If 1, try 11; if 11, try 1; if
    > 6 try 1 then 11). Is the problem the same?
    >
    > And Howard, please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining
    > viruses. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit
    > safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
    > internet - never post your address unmunged.
    > http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chuck
    > Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

    Hi Howard,

    1. Have you tried using the Alternate IP Configuration in XP? Use the 192.. as an alternate IP.
    2. Could it be that your router is configured to lease an address for a short period of time? Maybe your client is trying to renew too often and for some other reason not getting a response from the router!?
    3. You said that sometimes your XP gets a 192.xxx address, so I doubt that it's a firewall issue.

    Good Luck!
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    HI
    The problem is that whenver the card option is set on obtain ip adress
    automatically whenver the comuputer boots up it tries to locate a DHCP
    server to get an ip adress(in thiscase the DHCP server is the linksysy
    router) if it fails to get that (which could happen due to N number of
    reason) windows itself assigns the card an ip adress of range 169.254.x.x-->
    now the resolution-->u can assign a static ip adress to the card so that it
    doesnt ave to go to router to get an ip adress--> linksys router by default
    assigns ip adress of range 192.168.1.X so if u havent changed any settings
    put the following ip adress on the card(I assue u know how to do it if not
    just wire to me) the seetings are--

    IP adress --192.168.1.20
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    DNS preffered-- 192.168.1.1
    DNS alternate ---4.2.2.2
    try this....

    Vivek

    Truth Is Out There ----------------------------
    "Howard Kainz" <kainzh@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > With a Linksys router, my client computer with a Dell wireless adapter
    > gets a strong signal, but instead of the 192.168.xx address I get a
    > 169.254.xx address, and can never access the internet or use FTP, etc.
    > with the 169 address. Sometimes when I reboot or reset the adapter, I
    > get the 192 address. But the 169 keeps coming back, even with a very
    > strong signal. I have had the same problem using a Dell router. What
    > is going on here?
    > Howard Kainz

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Thanks. I changed to a Dell TrueMobile 2300 router a few days ago, and
    haven't had the 169.254.xx problem. So I must be doing something right.
    Howard Kainz

    vivek wrote:
    > HI
    > The problem is that whenver the card option is set on obtain ip adress
    > automatically whenver the comuputer boots up it tries to locate a DHCP
    > server to get an ip adress(in thiscase the DHCP server is the linksysy
    > router) if it fails to get that (which could happen due to N number of
    > reason) windows itself assigns the card an ip adress of range 169.254.x.x-->
    > now the resolution-->u can assign a static ip adress to the card so that it
    > doesnt ave to go to router to get an ip adress--> linksys router by default
    > assigns ip adress of range 192.168.1.X so if u havent changed any settings
    > put the following ip adress on the card(I assue u know how to do it if not
    > just wire to me) the seetings are--
    >
    > IP adress --192.168.1.20
    > subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    > Default Gateway --192.168.1.1
    > DNS preffered-- 192.168.1.1
    > DNS alternate ---4.2.2.2
    > try this....
    >
    > Vivek
    >
    > Truth Is Out There ----------------------------
    > "Howard Kainz" <kainzh@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>With a Linksys router, my client computer with a Dell wireless adapter
    >>gets a strong signal, but instead of the 192.168.xx address I get a
    >>169.254.xx address, and can never access the internet or use FTP, etc.
    >>with the 169 address. Sometimes when I reboot or reset the adapter, I
    >>get the 192 address. But the 169 keeps coming back, even with a very
    >>strong signal. I have had the same problem using a Dell router. What
    >>is going on here?
    >> Howard Kainz

Computers Wireless Networking