Cannt start Windows Firewall, service won't start

I treid to enable the Windows Firewall from winthin Control panel and it says
it couldn't start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
service.

So I went into admin tool, services and tried to start it from there and got:

Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service
Error 10047: An address incompatable with the requested protocol was used.

I use TCP/IP protocol on my internet conection and that is all working fine
as far as I know.

I also noticed I can't get to shared folders on this PC within my home
network , but this PC can get to shared folders on other PCs in the netowrk.
Not sure if related to the above. Any ideas ?
5 answers Last reply
More about cannt start windows firewall service start

    I found this info in the Knowledge base, but it doesn't help me fix the
    problem. It *sounds* like something with my TCP/IP as thats the only protocol
    I "have".

    WSAEAFNOSUPPORT (10047)
    • Translation: Address family not supported by protocol family.
    was used. All sockets are created with an associated address family (that is,
    AF_INET for Internet protocols) and a generic protocol type (that is,
    SOCK_STREAM). This error is returned if an incorrect protocol is explicitly
    requested in the socket (Wsapiref_2qr6.asp) call or if an address of the
    wrong family is used for a socket, for example, in sendto
    (Wsapiref_4sqa.asp).

    "Jamie" wrote:

    > I treid to enable the Windows Firewall from winthin Control panel and it says
    > it couldn't start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    > service.
    >
    > So I went into admin tool, services and tried to start it from there and got:
    >
    > Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service
    > Error 10047: An address incompatable with the requested protocol was used.
    >
    > I use TCP/IP protocol on my internet conection and that is all working fine
    > as far as I know.
    >
    > I also noticed I can't get to shared folders on this PC within my home
    > network , but this PC can get to shared folders on other PCs in the netowrk.
    > Not sure if related to the above. Any ideas ?

    Error Message When You Try to Turn On Internet Connection Sharing
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827328&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Jamie" wrote:

    | I treid to enable the Windows Firewall from winthin Control panel and it says
    | it couldn't start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    | service.
    |
    | So I went into admin tool, services and tried to start it from there and got:
    |
    | Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service
    | Error 10047: An address incompatable with the requested protocol was used.
    |
    | I use TCP/IP protocol on my internet conection and that is all working fine
    | as far as I know.
    |
    | I also noticed I can't get to shared folders on this PC within my home
    | network , but this PC can get to shared folders on other PCs in the netowrk.
    | Not sure if related to the above. Any ideas ?

    I followed the directions listed and all the services listed were already
    checked:

    Make sure all the following services are turned on. To turn on a service,
    click to select the check box.
    • Application Layer Gateway Service
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness (NLA)
    • Plug and Play
    • Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    • Remote Access Connection Manager
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Telephony

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Error Message When You Try to Turn On Internet Connection Sharing
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827328&Product=winxp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Jamie" wrote:
    >
    > | I treid to enable the Windows Firewall from winthin Control panel and it says
    > | it couldn't start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
    > | service.
    > |
    > | So I went into admin tool, services and tried to start it from there and got:
    > |
    > | Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service
    > | Error 10047: An address incompatable with the requested protocol was used.
    > |
    > | I use TCP/IP protocol on my internet conection and that is all working fine
    > | as far as I know.
    > |
    > | I also noticed I can't get to shared folders on this PC within my home
    > | network , but this PC can get to shared folders on other PCs in the netowrk.
    > | Not sure if related to the above. Any ideas ?

    I tried to do what was posted to try and solve this problem but unfortunately
    I'm not a very computer literate person so I'm not sure what was ment. This
    problem only started after I loaded and scan with the new anti-spyware beta
    1. After I rebooted that is when the trouble started. Can anyone help
    please, Microsoft support couldn't help and sent me here.
    Diana

    Diana wrote:

    > I tried to do what was posted to try and solve this problem but unfortunately
    > I'm not a very computer literate person so I'm not sure what was ment. This
    > problem only started after I loaded and scan with the new anti-spyware beta
    > 1. After I rebooted that is when the trouble started. Can anyone help
    > please, Microsoft support couldn't help and sent me here.
    > Diana
    Hi

    If you have Service Pack 2 for WinXP installed, please try this:

    Start/Run --> cmd.exe

    and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

    netsh.exe winsock reset

    and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

    If that doesn't cut it, or you don't have WinXP SP2, try this one:

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Firewalls Internet Connection Windows XP