Retrieving ~ADMIN~ User Files

a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 6:43:02 AM

=| Im not sure if this is appropriate for this disscussion group but here
goes... |=

Im on Windows XP Home SP1 and my administrator profile became corrupted
(yes, i used it for everyday use, kick me). My system would crash when I
tried to log onto any user. I installed a new copy on the same partition but
with a different %systemroot% to allow me to access to see what the problem
was. I couldnt access the one user folder. NOTE: I HAVE ALREADY TRIED TO GAIN
ACCESS TO THE ACCOUNT USING SECURITY SETTINGS. Eventually, I installed XP
over the top as I knew I wouldnt lose my files. I know theyre there, I dont
care about the OS or the settings, I just want my documents! (not to mention
my highly cluttered desktop...)

ps. Ive tried accessing with Ubuntu (linux distro) and it can read, but not
write or even copy, it was acting like windows!
January 19, 2005 9:43:31 AM

tungstentoaster wrote:

> =| Im not sure if this is appropriate for this disscussion group but
> here goes... |=
>
> Im on Windows XP Home SP1 and my administrator profile became
> corrupted (yes, i used it for everyday use, kick me). My system would
> crash when I tried to log onto any user. I installed a new copy on the
> same partition but with a different %systemroot% to allow me to access
> to see what the problem was. I couldnt access the one user folder.
> NOTE: I HAVE ALREADY TRIED TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE ACCOUNT USING
> SECURITY SETTINGS. Eventually, I installed XP over the top as I knew I
> wouldnt lose my files. I know theyre there, I dont care about the OS
> or the settings, I just want my documents! (not to mention my highly
> cluttered desktop...)
>
> ps. Ive tried accessing with Ubuntu (linux distro) and it can read,
> but not write or even copy, it was acting like windows!

When you say, loudly, that you have already tried to gain access using
security settings, does that mean you attempted to take ownership?

I've heard good things about Ubuntu but haven't tried it yet. I use
Knoppix to do data rescue. Get Knoppix from www.knoppix.net. Obviously
you will need third-party burning software to burn the .iso. You will
not be able to write to the NTFS partition with Linux (well, you could
but you have to do some stuff and there's an excellent chance you will
hose all of Windows). What you can do is boot with Knoppix using a
cd-rom drive and then burn the data with K3b in a cd-rw drive. Of
course, this means your computer needs two cd drives. If your Ubuntu is
also a live cd distro and has a burning program, you could do this with
Ubuntu. Copying the files to another part of the Windows installation
is the same as writing, which you cannot do.

HTH,

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User