installed my x800pro, qestion

I just installed my x800pro using the CD drivers,
control panel, etc. How do I adjust the GP/mem clock?

Jeff B
18 answers Last reply
More about installed x800pro qestion

    "jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
    > I just installed my x800pro using the CD drivers,
    > control panel, etc. How do I adjust the GP/mem clock?
    >
    > Jeff B

    you need an overclocking util like atitool or powerstrip or radclocker

    Thanks. I got R3Dtweak, now I'm running at full
    speed.

    Jeff B

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 21:17:40 +0100, "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote:

    >"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
    >> I just installed my x800pro using the CD drivers,
    >> control panel, etc. How do I adjust the GP/mem clock?
    >>
    >> Jeff B
    >>

    >you need an overclocking util like atitool or powerstrip or radclocker

    Go install the 4.5's Omega drivers that include ati tool and
    radclocker built in. You'll also get a improvement in image quality as
    well.

    www.omegacorner.com

    Make sure to un-install the control panel in add/remove first before
    double clicking the .exe file that Omega provides.

    Pluvious

    > I just installed my x800pro using the CD drivers,
    > control panel, etc. How do I adjust the GP/mem clock?

    Can I as a simple question without getting my face chewed off ?
    Why the hell would you want to overclock one of the fastest graphics cards
    ever made ?
    To gain.................what ?

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:07:24 +0100, "redTed" <redted@nthellworld.com>
    wrote:

    >> I just installed my x800pro using the CD drivers,
    >> control panel, etc. How do I adjust the GP/mem clock?
    >
    >Can I as a simple question without getting my face chewed off ?
    >Why the hell would you want to overclock one of the fastest graphics cards
    >ever made ?
    >To gain.................what ?

    The XT version isn't out for a few months and by overclocking the PRO
    he can achieve near the specs of the $500 card. He's trying to save
    $100... that's why.

    Pluvious

    > >> I just installed my x800pro using the CD drivers,
    > >> control panel, etc. How do I adjust the GP/mem clock?
    > >
    > >Can I as a simple question without getting my face chewed off ?
    > >Why the hell would you want to overclock one of the fastest graphics
    cards
    > >ever made ?
    > >To gain.................what ?
    > >

    > The XT version isn't out for a few months and by overclocking the PRO
    > he can achieve near the specs of the $500 card. He's trying to save
    > $100... that's why.

    Cheers. But if that is why, I still can't understand it. He's already paid a
    healthy sum for a vid card. With all respect he can't be that hard up for
    cash and from the very unpredictable results that people are having who are
    trying to unlock the 16 pipes, it seems a possible waste of money. Why not
    just wait and get the XT ?

    On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:55:58 +0100, "redTed" <redted@nthellworld.com>
    wrote:

    >> >Can I as a simple question without getting my face chewed off ?
    >> >Why the hell would you want to overclock one of the fastest graphics
    >cards
    >> >ever made ?
    >> >To gain.................what ?
    >> >

    >> The XT version isn't out for a few months and by overclocking the PRO
    >> he can achieve near the specs of the $500 card. He's trying to save
    >> $100... that's why.
    >>
    >Cheers. But if that is why, I still can't understand it. He's already paid a
    >healthy sum for a vid card. With all respect he can't be that hard up for
    >cash and from the very unpredictable results that people are having who are
    >trying to unlock the 16 pipes, it seems a possible waste of money. Why not
    >just wait and get the XT ?

    Bragging rights, Ted. ;-)

    patrickp

    redTed wrote:

    >>I just installed my x800pro using the CD drivers,
    >>control panel, etc. How do I adjust the GP/mem clock?
    >

    > Can I as a simple question without getting my face chewed off ?
    > Why the hell would you want to overclock one of the fastest graphics cards
    > ever made ?

    OOTB, the card was WAY underclocked. I adjusted the core/mem
    clock to full speed....some call that 'overclocking'.

    Jeff B

    redTed wrote:

    > Cheers. But if that is why, I still can't understand it. He's already paid a
    > healthy sum for a vid card. With all respect he can't be that hard up for
    > cash and from the very unpredictable results that people are having who are
    > trying to unlock the 16 pipes, it seems a possible waste of money. Why not
    > just wait and get the XT ?

    I would have certainly bought the xt, but it isn't available, and I need
    a stout card now. It isn't a waste of money cause I can return it for
    a full refund, after (hopefully) the xt is out. I need the power to run
    at 1900x1200, the native
    res of my monitor.

    Jeff B

    redTed wrote:

    >> I just installed my x800pro using the CD drivers,
    >> control panel, etc. How do I adjust the GP/mem clock?
    >
    > Can I as a simple question without getting my face chewed off ?
    > Why the hell would you want to overclock one of the fastest graphics cards
    > ever made ?
    > To gain.................what ?

    Overclocking is a hobby like hot-rodding. One does it because one can. It
    can be rationalized many ways but that's the bottom line.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Far Cry is a good reason...
    My xp3200/9800pro struggles with high settings with Far Cry if I use AA/AF.
    I have 512mb ram nd tried 1G, which worked better. I have to use
    performance mip map and textures with the drivers to keep the framerate good
    at 1024/2xAA/4xAF/high quality settings in game.
    People post how well it runs with lower spec machines but I've seen 2 other
    machines of similar spec and one with a 9600pro and they have similar
    performance, it isn't a bug with my system. I consider less than 30fps bad
    and I look at the low points (except the occasional very intense situation)
    to see how things run. A lot of people look at their frame rates inside and
    say they're fine but what matters is when the action intensifies as that is
    when you need a decent framerate...
    SO, Far Cry is one reason to get this card. It's the only gane I've played
    that could slow my system down, even with AA/AF. I just went from the 3.10
    to the 4.5 drivers when I saw far cry struggling, btw, and I'm not sure how
    much it helped because I did some driver tweaking at the same time (lowered
    quality settings). Also, I disabled AV and other processes not required
    before launching the game. And I'm just into the training, just got the
    game and I'm trying to find the sweet spot for settings before I get into
    it. Before far cry it was easy, all hq and 2x or 4xAA/8xAF depending on the
    game...

    Cheers,
    Mike

    "redTed" <redted@nthellworld.com> wrote in message

    > > >Can I as a simple question without getting my face chewed off ?
    > > >Why the hell would you want to overclock one of the fastest graphics
    > cards
    > > >ever made ?
    > > >To gain.................what ?
    > > >

    > > The XT version isn't out for a few months and by overclocking the PRO
    > > he can achieve near the specs of the $500 card. He's trying to save
    > > $100... that's why.
    > >
    > Cheers. But if that is why, I still can't understand it. He's already paid
    > healthy sum for a vid card. With all respect he can't be that hard up for
    > cash and from the very unpredictable results that people are having who
    are
    > trying to unlock the 16 pipes, it seems a possible waste of money. Why not
    > just wait and get the XT ?

    > > Cheers. But if that is why, I still can't understand it. He's already
    paid a
    > > healthy sum for a vid card. With all respect he can't be that hard up
    for
    > > cash and from the very unpredictable results that people are having who
    are
    > > trying to unlock the 16 pipes, it seems a possible waste of money. Why
    not
    > > just wait and get the XT ?
    >
    > I would have certainly bought the xt, but it isn't available, and I need
    > a stout card now. It isn't a waste of money cause I can return it for
    > a full refund, after (hopefully) the xt is out. I need the power to run
    > at 1900x1200, the native
    > res of my monitor.

    Ouch, that's some monitor you must have.
    Are you running 3D apps or something ?
    I'll bow down to you guy's on this OC'ing thing as I don't know enough about
    it. But I was seriously impressed following the Forum thread about the 2 or
    3 guys at OCUK(?) who were scraping away metal contacts and rejoining them
    with auto paint from Halfords !! That's gotta take balls.

    Mike P wrote:

    > Far Cry is a good reason...
    > My xp3200/9800pro struggles with high settings with Far Cry if I use AA/AF.
    > I have 512mb ram nd tried 1G, which worked better. I have to use
    > performance mip map and textures with the drivers to keep the framerate good
    > at 1024/2xAA/4xAF/high quality settings in game.
    > People post how well it runs with lower spec machines but I've seen 2 other
    > machines of similar spec and one with a 9600pro and they have similar
    > performance, it isn't a bug with my system. I consider less than 30fps bad
    > and I look at the low points (except the occasional very intense situation)
    > to see how things run. A lot of people look at their frame rates inside and
    > say they're fine but what matters is when the action intensifies as that is
    > when you need a decent framerate...
    > SO, Far Cry is one reason to get this card. It's the only gane I've played
    > that could slow my system down, even with AA/AF. I just went from the 3.10
    > to the 4.5 drivers when I saw far cry struggling, btw, and I'm not sure how
    > much it helped because I did some driver tweaking at the same time (lowered
    > quality settings). Also, I disabled AV and other processes not required
    > before launching the game. And I'm just into the training, just got the
    > game and I'm trying to find the sweet spot for settings before I get into
    > it. Before far cry it was easy, all hq and 2x or 4xAA/8xAF depending on the
    > game...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mike

    Far Cry defies conventional wisdom in a way not previously reported
    in any post I've read:
    The absolute is that a game needs
    40 fps to run smoothly. This is true in any game except FC.
    But with FC, I get a noticeable 'mouse lag' effect starting at
    about 75 fps, and getting progressively worse as fps decrease.
    At 35 fps, the problem is so bad, manuvering through the map makes
    me motion sick. At 1280x768, the game plays crisp, super responsive.
    At 1920x1200, it's like trying a push an object with a string,
    the direct coupling isn't there.
    I'm only a short distance into the first map, and I'm trying to find
    the best tradeoff between mouse lag, and graphics. I don't like the
    mouse lag, but I don't like the 'ugly' graphics of 1280x768,
    especially with anio and aa turned off.
    I've decided to stop playing FC for now and wait for the
    x800xt to come out, since all the reviews show it handles
    FC much better than the x800 pro.

    Unlike the hordes of people who currently have a 9800 pro,
    I really really need a new card, I've got a wimpy nvidia 5600u
    So, the question isn't
    upgrade or not, rather, what to upgrade to? Obviously,
    the nvidia 6800u is a possibility, but it is no better in FC
    than the x800pro, and they both get smeared by the x800xt.
    To make matters worse, this x800pro seems to cause my HDTV tuner card
    to crash, something that started to happen exactly when I changed out
    my nvidia card for the x800pro. This suggests that no ATI card will
    work for HDTV, which implies I have no choice, I have to go
    with nvidia. I'm experimenting with factors such as drivers to see
    if I can get the x800to work with my HDTV card cause I'm strongly leaning
    towards the x800xt solution. If it turns out that my HDTV card simply
    won't with the ATI, but does with the 6800u, then I have only bad
    choices.

    BTW, have you seen screen shots of graphics generated by ATI's
    3DC tech? 3DC could turn out to be a 'make or break' deal for
    me, especially since half-life 2 is reported to use it.

    Jeff B
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <pMDwc.54357$Np3.2405582@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "Mike P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
    >Far Cry is a good reason...
    >My xp3200/9800pro struggles with high settings with Far Cry if I use AA/AF.
    >I have 512mb ram nd tried 1G, which worked better. I have to use
    >performance mip map and textures with the drivers to keep the framerate good
    >at 1024/2xAA/4xAF/high quality settings in game.
    >People post how well it runs with lower spec machines but I've seen 2 other
    >machines of similar spec and one with a 9600pro and they have similar
    >performance, it isn't a bug with my system. I consider less than 30fps bad
    >and I look at the low points (except the occasional very intense situation)
    >to see how things run. A lot of people look at their frame rates inside and
    >say they're fine but what matters is when the action intensifies as that is
    >when you need a decent framerate...
    >SO, Far Cry is one reason to get this card. It's the only gane I've played
    >that could slow my system down, even with AA/AF. I just went from the 3.10
    >to the 4.5 drivers when I saw far cry struggling, btw, and I'm not sure how
    >much it helped because I did some driver tweaking at the same time (lowered
    >quality settings). Also, I disabled AV and other processes not required
    >before launching the game. And I'm just into the training, just got the
    >game and I'm trying to find the sweet spot for settings before I get into
    >it. Before far cry it was easy, all hq and 2x or 4xAA/8xAF depending on the
    >game...
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Mike

    All these complaint about performance and such with Far Cry tends to make one
    thing that it is a poorly coded game
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    GMAN wrote:
    > In article <pMDwc.54357$Np3.2405582@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, "Mike
    > P" <mike@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
    >> Far Cry is a good reason...
    >> My xp3200/9800pro struggles with high settings with Far Cry if I use
    >> AA/AF. I have 512mb ram nd tried 1G, which worked better. I have to
    >> use performance mip map and textures with the drivers to keep the
    >> framerate good at 1024/2xAA/4xAF/high quality settings in game.
    >> People post how well it runs with lower spec machines but I've seen
    >> 2 other machines of similar spec and one with a 9600pro and they
    >> have similar performance, it isn't a bug with my system. I consider
    >> less than 30fps bad and I look at the low points (except the
    >> occasional very intense situation) to see how things run. A lot of
    >> people look at their frame rates inside and say they're fine but
    >> what matters is when the action intensifies as that is when you need
    >> a decent framerate...
    >> SO, Far Cry is one reason to get this card. It's the only gane I've
    >> played that could slow my system down, even with AA/AF. I just went
    >> from the 3.10 to the 4.5 drivers when I saw far cry struggling, btw,
    >> and I'm not sure how much it helped because I did some driver
    >> tweaking at the same time (lowered quality settings). Also, I
    >> disabled AV and other processes not required before launching the
    >> game. And I'm just into the training, just got the game and I'm
    >> trying to find the sweet spot for settings before I get into it.
    >> Before far cry it was easy, all hq and 2x or 4xAA/8xAF depending on
    >> the game...
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Mike
    >

    > All these complaint about performance and such with Far Cry tends to
    > make one
    > thing that it is a poorly coded game

    Um, that's not it. It's a game that is coded around detail, textures,
    quantities that are beyond many systems capabilities today. Far Cry
    was developed 'ahead' for the hardware to catch up to :)
    Some of our hardware *can* handle it full on :)
    McG.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    >>All these complaint about performance and such with Far Cry tends to
    >>make one
    >>thing that it is a poorly coded game
    >

    > Um, that's not it. It's a game that is coded around detail, textures,
    > quantities that are beyond many systems capabilities today. Far Cry
    > was developed 'ahead' for the hardware to catch up to :)
    > Some of our hardware *can* handle it full on :)
    > McG.

    Even if it is a "poorly coded game" (characterization, not fact)
    it is what it is. We can only change the hardware we run it on,
    not the game itself.

    Jeff B
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "... BTW, have you seen screen shots of graphics generated by ATI's
    3DC tech? 3DC could turn out to be a 'make or break' deal for
    me, especially since half-life 2 is reported to use it.
    ...."

    No, can you post links?
    Thanks,
    Mike

> [...]
    > than the x800pro, and they both get smeared by the x800xt.
    > To make matters worse, this x800pro seems to cause my HDTV tuner card
    > to crash, something that started to happen exactly when I changed out
    > my nvidia card for the x800pro. This suggests that no ATI card will
    > work for HDTV, which implies I have no choice, I have to go
    > with nvidia. I'm experimenting with factors such as drivers to see
    > if I can get the x800to work with my HDTV card cause I'm strongly leaning
    > towards the x800xt solution. If it turns out that my HDTV card simply
    > won't with the ATI, but does with the 6800u, then I have only bad
    > choices.
    >
    > BTW, have you seen screen shots of graphics generated by ATI's
    > 3DC tech? 3DC could turn out to be a 'make or break' deal for
    > me, especially since half-life 2 is reported to use it.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    But it's cheap to do (free unless you mod). When I was into bikes I spent a
    lot of cash on performance parts...
    Mike

    > redTed wrote:
    >
    > >> I just installed my x800pro using the CD drivers,
    > >> control panel, etc. How do I adjust the GP/mem clock?
    > >
    > > Can I as a simple question without getting my face chewed off ?
    > > Why the hell would you want to overclock one of the fastest graphics
    cards
    > > ever made ?
    > > To gain.................what ?
    >
    > Overclocking is a hobby like hot-rodding. One does it because one can.
    It
    > can be rationalized many ways but that's the bottom line.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Radeon Control Panel Graphics