License of XP

We have a pc which is being 'retired' & want to use the XP upgrade CD on
another office pc. If we do, will microsoft authenticate it? And/or is this
legal. Old pc was upgraded from 2000 Pro to XP Pro - new one will be
upgraded from XP Home to Pro.

Fec
5 answers Last reply
More about license

    Once you reformat the hard drive of the old PC,
    thus removing Windows XP, you can then upgrade
    the other PC and activate it. If activation should
    fail, simply choose the alternative to "activate by
    phone" to obtain a new activation code.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Fec" wrote:

    | We have a pc which is being 'retired' & want to use the XP upgrade CD on
    | another office pc. If we do, will microsoft authenticate it? And/or is this
    | legal. Old pc was upgraded from 2000 Pro to XP Pro - new one will be
    | upgraded from XP Home to Pro.
    |
    | Fec

    The machine description is not very clear. Anyway, assuming that the XP
    upgrade CD has a regular retail end user license, you should be able to use
    it to upgrade any Windows machine. If you received the XP Upgrade CD via
    other resellers (OEM etc), the licensing terms might be different. In that
    case, please refer to the licensing agreement.
    Thanks.

    -Fei

    "Fec" <fec@fec.com> wrote in message
    > We have a pc which is being 'retired' & want to use the XP upgrade CD on
    > another office pc. If we do, will microsoft authenticate it? And/or is
    > this legal. Old pc was upgraded from 2000 Pro to XP Pro - new one will be
    > upgraded from XP Home to Pro.
    >
    > Fec

    And since when has Microsoft made OEM versions of Upgrade Editions of XP?

    Get the old PC and run FAST and save all files, settings etc to the hard
    drive.

    Copy that file to another PC or hard drive, or DVD if it isn't too big.

    Install XP Pro on the new PC and use FAST to import the old PCs FAST files.

    When all is OK then format the old PC hard drive to eliminate XP Pro.

    This is all 'legal'.

    Fec wrote:
    > We have a pc which is being 'retired' & want to use the XP upgrade CD on
    > another office pc. If we do, will microsoft authenticate it? And/or is this
    > legal. Old pc was upgraded from 2000 Pro to XP Pro - new one will be
    > upgraded from XP Home to Pro.
    >
    > Fec

    Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not transferable),
    simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on and then
    install it on the new PC. If it's been more than 120 days since you
    last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most likely be able to
    activate via the Internet without problem. If it's been less, you might
    have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

    Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

    Windows Product Activation (WPA)
    http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Excellent - just the info i needed.

    Cheers

    Fec
    > Fec wrote:
    >> We have a pc which is being 'retired' & want to use the XP upgrade CD on
    >> another office pc. If we do, will microsoft authenticate it? And/or is
    >> this legal. Old pc was upgraded from 2000 Pro to XP Pro - new one will be
    >> upgraded from XP Home to Pro.
    >>
    >> Fec
    >
    > Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not transferable), simply
    > remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on and then install it on
    > the new PC. If it's been more than 120 days since you last activated that
    > specific Product Key, you'll most likely be able to activate via the
    > Internet without problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5
    > minute phone call.
    >
    > Here are the facts pertaining to activation:
    >
    > Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
    > http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/
    >
    > Windows Product Activation (WPA)
    > http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm
    >
    > --