Need an idiot's guide to adobe gamma loader vs ati drivers..

I've seen this come up quite often, I've been having issues in 3d games with
gamma, and been asked a few times now if adobe gamma loader is present. It
is present on my system and I'm using the 4.5 catalyst drivers.

When my system boots into windows, My screen gets lighter then darker. Adobe
gamma loader is in the startup folder but it seems to be applied, then
something else overrides it with a slightly darker gamma setting.

I can manually run it from the start menu once the computer has finished

My question is, should I have this running at start up or should I get rid
of it (or at least remove it from the startup group). I'm unsure how this
affects the drivers' gamma settings, so an explaination would be much
appreciated, thanks in advance!

I've noticed that also but in my case there's no Adobe Gamma Loader even
present, only 3DRage overclocker.

I notice it if I have the gamma control(s) "brightened" on the Colors
display properties page.

"+c0re-" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I've seen this come up quite often, I've been having issues in 3d games
with
> gamma, and been asked a few times now if adobe gamma loader is present. It
> is present on my system and I'm using the 4.5 catalyst drivers.
>
> When my system boots into windows, My screen gets lighter then darker.
Adobe
> gamma loader is in the startup folder but it seems to be applied, then
> something else overrides it with a slightly darker gamma setting.
>
> I can manually run it from the start menu once the computer has finished
>
> My question is, should I have this running at start up or should I get rid
> of it (or at least remove it from the startup group). I'm unsure how this
> affects the drivers' gamma settings, so an explaination would be much
> appreciated, thanks in advance!

JohnS

I've been seeing the same thing. I have 2 systems, one
AMD 2000+ with ATI 9000, and the other P4 2.4 with
ATI 9200. Both systems were doing it badly, but when
I installed the Cat 4.5 drivers, the AMD system cleaned
up totally, and I have not seen it again. The P4 is still
doing it ?????????? I don't have the Adobe thing on
either system. On the 9200 system, I see the problem
in MOHAA and Far Cry Demo2, but not Demo1 ??
What is really weird, is I can go to the video brightness
bar in either game and take the slider with the mouse
and just wiggle it slightly ... and the game brightens
right up. I could do that same thing on the 9000 system,
but the problem disappeared. I have concluded that
I have a rusty spot on my video brightness bars, and
I somehow scraped it off on the 9000, so I'm just
living with it. ?? Maybe it is a setting in the ATI control
panel that I have overlooked ?

johns

That's interesting that you have the same issue, Ati tech support today sent
me an email to inform me that I was lying.. lol. I've been messing with
tweaking apps now but they've caused me some new problems too :(

"johns" <johnsxxx@mudbog.edu> wrote in message
> I've been seeing the same thing. I have 2 systems, one
> AMD 2000+ with ATI 9000, and the other P4 2.4 with
> ATI 9200. Both systems were doing it badly, but when
> I installed the Cat 4.5 drivers, the AMD system cleaned
> up totally, and I have not seen it again. The P4 is still
> doing it ?????????? I don't have the Adobe thing on
> either system. On the 9200 system, I see the problem
> in MOHAA and Far Cry Demo2, but not Demo1 ??
> What is really weird, is I can go to the video brightness
> bar in either game and take the slider with the mouse
> and just wiggle it slightly ... and the game brightens
> right up. I could do that same thing on the 9000 system,
> but the problem disappeared. I have concluded that
> I have a rusty spot on my video brightness bars, and
> I somehow scraped it off on the 9000, so I'm just
> living with it. ?? Maybe it is a setting in the ATI control
> panel that I have overlooked ?
>
> johns

JohnS

> That's interesting that you have the same issue, Ati tech support today
sent
> me an email to inform me that I was lying.. lol. I've been messing with
> tweaking apps now but they've caused me some new problems too :(

Just read your new post .. I've seen that exact same thing .. just
go to the color tab, and the desktop brightness comes right back.
That disappeared when I loaded the 4.3 drivers, and then the 4.5
drivers seemed to clear up the dimming in the 3Dgames for one
of my machines ... the lesser of the 2 ???????????? I have not a
clue.

johns