Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Call of Duty FPS drop off 9800 pro

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Call of Duty
  • Power Supplies
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 2, 2004 11:17:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I'm having frame rate drops from 84 to 60 intermittantly in Call of Duty
I've replaced my power supply does anyone have any advice

More about : call duty fps drop 9800 pro

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 2, 2004 11:17:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 19:17:13 -0400, "COCA COLA KID"
<BUBBLEHEADPT@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>I'm having frame rate drops from 84 to 60 intermittantly in Call of Duty
>I've replaced my power supply does anyone have any advice
>

Cut back on the coke.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 3, 2004 1:24:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message
news:n22tb0lffn85kbd6d17n81ehb2qmd9rlkc@4ax.com...
>
> Cut back on the coke.
>


Oh God, that's cheesy humor, but I still got a good laugh out of it!

But seriously, it would help if we knew more about system specs and
installed drivers and OS, etc. Also knowing what settings the game is at
would be nice (resolution, etc.)
Related resources
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 3, 2004 12:58:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

COCA COLA KID left a note on my windscreen which said:

> I'm having frame rate drops from 84 to 60 intermittantly in Call of Duty
> I've replaced my power supply does anyone have any advice.

Drops like that are probably due to a particuarly intense scene in the
game or maybe something running in the backgroud.

However, what's the problem? 60FPS is more than adequate for smooth
gameplay. I don't see an issue here.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 3, 2004 12:58:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b28ea953fd1fdc3989824@news.individual.net...
> COCA COLA KID left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
> > I'm having frame rate drops from 84 to 60 intermittantly in Call of Duty
> > I've replaced my power supply does anyone have any advice.
>
> Drops like that are probably due to a particuarly intense scene in the
> game or maybe something running in the backgroud.
>
> However, what's the problem? 60FPS is more than adequate for smooth
> gameplay. I don't see an issue here.
> --
> Stoneskin
>
> [Insert sig text here]

The problem is when I am in the middle of a game and the framrate drops off
like that for a second or two at intermittant points it throughs me off.
system spec's are as follows:
CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Code Name Barton
Specification AMD Athlon 2500 XP-M
Family / Model / Stepping 6 A 0
Extended Family / Model 7 A
Core Stepping
Technology 0.13 µ
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended
3DNow!, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 2405.4 MHz
Clock multiplier x 12.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 200.5 MHz
Bus Speed 400.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line
size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes
line size
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2405.4 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits



Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Motherboard model A7N8X-E, REV 2.xx
BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS revision ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1008
BIOS release date 12/05/2003
Chipset nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1
Southbridge nVidia nForce2 MCP rev. A4
Sensor chip BC94

AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, not enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes



Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 200.5 MHz
FSB:D RAM 1:1
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes
Module 1 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes



Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 1
(Build 2600)
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 3, 2004 5:22:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

COCA COLA KID left a note on my windscreen which said:

> The problem is when I am in the middle of a game and the framrate drops off
> like that for a second or two at intermittant points it throughs me off.

Just for clarification, do you mean it throws you off the server,
crashes the game or simply that it throws you off your 'game' or
'momentum' IYSWIM.

I'm just clarifying because if it's a server or crashing problem the
drop in FPS can only be a side effect of this. The most common causes
being driver problems or system instability.

If you mean it put's you off your 'game' then I'm quite surprised since
60FPS is still entirelly suitable for smooth gameplay in my view. Of
course, YMMV.

You may of posted it before but I didn't notice in your list of posted
specs - Radeon 9800 Pro VGA card?
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 3, 2004 8:51:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

yes it is a 9800 pro and it does through me off because my character
"stutters" down to ~60 and then back up to 85
"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b292865e54d73d498982b@news.individual.net...
> COCA COLA KID left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
> > The problem is when I am in the middle of a game and the framrate drops
off
> > like that for a second or two at intermittant points it throughs me off.
>
> Just for clarification, do you mean it throws you off the server,
> crashes the game or simply that it throws you off your 'game' or
> 'momentum' IYSWIM.
>
> I'm just clarifying because if it's a server or crashing problem the
> drop in FPS can only be a side effect of this. The most common causes
> being driver problems or system instability.
>
> If you mean it put's you off your 'game' then I'm quite surprised since
> 60FPS is still entirelly suitable for smooth gameplay in my view. Of
> course, YMMV.
>
> You may of posted it before but I didn't notice in your list of posted
> specs - Radeon 9800 Pro VGA card?
> --
> Stoneskin
>
> [Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 4, 2004 5:42:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"COCA COLA KID" <BUBBLEHEADPT@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote in message
news:p bMvc.112488$tb4.4392536@news20.bellglobal.com...
> yes it is a 9800 pro and it does through me off because my character
> "stutters" down to ~60 and then back up to 85

He means system specs also (CPU etc.). You still didn't specify MP or SP
game. Turn off Fraps or cg_drawFPS (whatever you are using to measure fps)
then tell us you know when it drops to 60 fps, and "throws" you off your
game.
I have played on servers wher everything will pause every 30 seconds or so.
This is probably related to and overloaded server.

> "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1b292865e54d73d498982b@news.individual.net...
> > COCA COLA KID left a note on my windscreen which said:
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 7, 2004 2:06:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

COCA COLA KID left a note on my windscreen which said:

> yes it is a 9800 pro and it does through me off because my character
> "stutters" down to ~60 and then back up to 85

This is probably due to something going on in the background. I'm not
very familiar with CoD but make sure nothing is running in the
background - Anti-Virus etc. If this is a MP game you're noticing these
drops then it could be something to do with the communication between
your client and the server. Also try turning VSync off.

It could also be due to the game simply caching in/out textures or
something like that.

I'm not saying it isn't a problem for you but I must admit that I find
it surprising that a drop from 85FPS to 60FPS to be very noticable -
certainly wouldn't be noticable enough to put me off my game. To be
honest I wonder if this could be more of a psycological effect. If you
are using FPS monitoring tools such as FRAPS and you see the drop this
could be enough for you to percieve a greater lapse in gameplay and
therfore your performance.

--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2004 8:33:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

If I was looking at a FPS counter during a game of COD that would be enough to
throw me off.
-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
!