Can one buy just the original HL Source?

Last response: in Video Games
January 2, 2005 3:39:18 AM

Can one buy just the "new graphics" Source version of the original Half-Life
by itself? I know it is offered in one of the HL2 packages, but I
pre-ordered a version from EB Games a long time ago, but it wasn't included
in the version I bought.

More about : buy original source

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:49:14 AM

Don't bother... It doesn't add anything to the game... The characters
all look the same as the original.. The High definition pack did much
more to improve the graphics....

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:39:18 GMT, "NuQ" <anon@a.com> wrote:

>Can one buy just the "new graphics" Source version of the original Half-Life
>by itself? I know it is offered in one of the HL2 packages, but I
>pre-ordered a version from EB Games a long time ago, but it wasn't included
>in the version I bought.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:51:29 AM

Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:
> Don't bother... It doesn't add anything to the game... The characters
> all look the same as the original.. The High definition pack did much
> more to improve the graphics....

Is that right? Thanks for letting me know. I guess I should search for the
High Definition pack then! Thanks again!
January 2, 2005 3:57:09 AM

Ya gotta buy "Blue Shift"... It's a pretty decent game in it's
self.... Does HL from the eyes of Barney...

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:51:29 GMT, "NuQ" <anon@a.com> wrote:

>Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:
>> Don't bother... It doesn't add anything to the game... The characters
>> all look the same as the original.. The High definition pack did much
>> more to improve the graphics....
>
>Is that right? Thanks for letting me know. I guess I should search for the
>High Definition pack then! Thanks again!

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 4:12:19 AM

Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:51:29 GMT, "NuQ" <anon@a.com> wrote:
>
>> Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:
>>> Don't bother... It doesn't add anything to the game... The
>>> characters all look the same as the original.. The High definition
>>> pack did much more to improve the graphics....
>>
>> Is that right? Thanks for letting me know. I guess I should search
>> for the High Definition pack then! Thanks again!
>
> Ya gotta buy "Blue Shift"... It's a pretty decent game in it's
> self.... Does HL from the eyes of Barney...

I just figured that out! Duh! I have Blue Shift, but just hadn't played
any of the HL games in so long I didn't recall the Hi-Def pack!
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 6:53:23 AM

Hell of a lot shorter than Half Life 1 though (which could be a good thing
:-)
"NuQ" <anon@a.com> wrote in message
> Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:

>>> Is that right? Thanks for letting me know. I guess I should search
>>> for the High Definition pack then! Thanks again!
>>
>> Ya gotta buy "Blue Shift"... It's a pretty decent game in it's
>> self.... Does HL from the eyes of Barney...
>
> I just figured that out! Duh! I have Blue Shift, but just hadn't played
> any of the HL games in so long I didn't recall the Hi-Def pack!

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:53:37 AM

hmmm....well i got the HD pack to work with HL and OpFor Steam
versions. it took a bit of messing
about tho', but it looks so much better.
all you should have to do is install the HD pack into an empty folder
somewhere. find the "pak1.pak" file and open it with Pakscape (google
for it). extract the 'models', 'sound' and 'sprites' folder and place
them into your "C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user\half-life\Valve" folder.
overwrite the old files. then when you start up HL through Steam, it
will be the HD version.
Sorted!
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:15:23 PM

"NuQ" wrote

> I just figured that out! Duh! I have Blue Shift, but just hadn't played
> any of the HL games in so long I didn't recall the Hi-Def pack!
BlueShift is NOT compatible with Source
Unfortunately

- Peter
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:01:18 PM

*.pak files are similar to *.zip, but you can't use the same program to
open them. if you were going to compare them to anything, the Steam
*.gcf's are basically the same.

and im not sure about that, not being able to use the HD files in
HL:Source, 'cos the models are the same, it is the engine that is
different. Valve said that you could use the old *.mdl files to update
HL mods to Source, didnt they? i dont have the game, but im sure if
someone was to look at the files and file structure, it would be
relatively easy to make a HL:S HD. im not certain tho', maybe someone
with the game can confirm this for me?
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 3:54:46 PM

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
> "NuQ" wrote
>

>>I just figured that out! Duh! I have Blue Shift, but just hadn't played
>>any of the HL games in so long I didn't recall the Hi-Def pack!
>
> BlueShift is NOT compatible with Source
> Unfortunately

<Pedantry> It's not compatible with Steam either </Pedantry> ;)

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Anonymous

themightyoaktree@gmail.com wrote:
> find the "pak1.pak" file and open it with Pakscape

I'm sure I heard soemwhere that .pak was just .zip by another extension...
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 9:04:27 PM

On 2 Jan 2005 07:53:37 -0800, themightyoaktree@gmail.com wrote:

>hmmm....well i got the HD pack to work with HL and OpFor Steam
>versions. it took a bit of messing
>about tho', but it looks so much better.
>all you should have to do is install the HD pack into an empty folder
>somewhere. find the "pak1.pak" file and open it with Pakscape (google
>for it). extract the 'models', 'sound' and 'sprites' folder and place
>them into your "C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user\half-life\Valve" folder.
>overwrite the old files. then when you start up HL through Steam, it
>will be the HD version.

Does it work with HL: Source?

-----
Anders Simonsson
Website: http://hem.bredband.net/b273622/index.html
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 9:04:28 PM

Anders Simonsson wrote:
> On 2 Jan 2005 07:53:37 -0800, themightyoaktree@gmail.com wrote:
>

>>hmmm....well i got the HD pack to work with HL and OpFor Steam
>>versions. it took a bit of messing
>>about tho', but it looks so much better.
>>all you should have to do is install the HD pack into an empty folder
>>somewhere. find the "pak1.pak" file and open it with Pakscape (google
>>for it). extract the 'models', 'sound' and 'sprites' folder and place
>>them into your "C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user\half-life\Valve" folder.
>>overwrite the old files. then when you start up HL through Steam, it
>>will be the HD version.
>

> Does it work with HL: Source?
>
> -----
> Anders Simonsson
> Website: http://hem.bredband.net/b273622/index.html

no it won't. since HL:Source uses a completely different graphics engine
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 12:45:34 AM

<themightyoaktree@gmail.com> wrote

> and im not sure about that, not being able to use the HD files in
> HL:Source, 'cos the models are the same, it is the engine that is
> different. Valve said that you could use the old *.mdl files to update
> HL mods to Source, didnt they?

To an extent - you need the goldsource

> i dont have the game, but im sure if someone was to look at the files
> and file structure, it would be relatively easy to make a HL:S HD.
> im not certain tho', maybe someone with the game can confirm this
> for me?

Maybe if you have a decent decompiler for the old HL HD models
I don't know

Valve says that if you don't have the goldsource for your models it's pretty
much easier to start from scratch

- Peter
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 9:00:09 PM

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:39:18 GMT, "NuQ" <anon@a.com> wrote:

>Can one buy just the "new graphics" Source version of the original Half-Life
>by itself? I know it is offered in one of the HL2 packages, but I
>pre-ordered a version from EB Games a long time ago, but it wasn't included
>in the version I bought.

I don't matter. The game is very little different from the original.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:11:33 PM

count zero skrev:

> I don't matter. The game is very little different from the original.

Only thing a noticed was lower framerate on my Ti-4200, and PowerStrip
can't set the AntiAliasing (not on Source games at all, guess they
just set it back), and then the graphics was worse (no Quincunx AA)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!