Can one buy just the original HL Source?

Can one buy just the "new graphics" Source version of the original Half-Life
by itself? I know it is offered in one of the HL2 packages, but I
pre-ordered a version from EB Games a long time ago, but it wasn't included
in the version I bought.
15 answers Last reply
More about original source

    Don't bother... It doesn't add anything to the game... The characters
    all look the same as the original.. The High definition pack did much
    more to improve the graphics....

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:39:18 GMT, "NuQ" <anon@a.com> wrote:

    >Can one buy just the "new graphics" Source version of the original Half-Life
    >by itself? I know it is offered in one of the HL2 packages, but I
    >pre-ordered a version from EB Games a long time ago, but it wasn't included
    >in the version I bought.

    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
    the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
    and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
    the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
    and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

    Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:
    > Don't bother... It doesn't add anything to the game... The characters
    > all look the same as the original.. The High definition pack did much
    > more to improve the graphics....

    Is that right? Thanks for letting me know. I guess I should search for the
    High Definition pack then! Thanks again!

    Ya gotta buy "Blue Shift"... It's a pretty decent game in it's
    self.... Does HL from the eyes of Barney...

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:51:29 GMT, "NuQ" <anon@a.com> wrote:

    >Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:
    >> Don't bother... It doesn't add anything to the game... The characters
    >> all look the same as the original.. The High definition pack did much
    >> more to improve the graphics....
    >
    >Is that right? Thanks for letting me know. I guess I should search for the
    >High Definition pack then! Thanks again!

    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
    the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
    and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in
    the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
    and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

    Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:

    > On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:51:29 GMT, "NuQ" <anon@a.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:
    >>> Don't bother... It doesn't add anything to the game... The
    >>> characters all look the same as the original.. The High definition
    >>> pack did much more to improve the graphics....
    >>
    >> Is that right? Thanks for letting me know. I guess I should search
    >> for the High Definition pack then! Thanks again!
    >
    > Ya gotta buy "Blue Shift"... It's a pretty decent game in it's
    > self.... Does HL from the eyes of Barney...

    I just figured that out! Duh! I have Blue Shift, but just hadn't played
    any of the HL games in so long I didn't recall the Hi-Def pack!

    Hell of a lot shorter than Half Life 1 though (which could be a good thing
    :-)
    "NuQ" <anon@a.com> wrote in message
    > Cannon Fodder <gonfishn@airmail.net> wrote:

    >>> Is that right? Thanks for letting me know. I guess I should search
    >>> for the High Definition pack then! Thanks again!
    >>
    >> Ya gotta buy "Blue Shift"... It's a pretty decent game in it's
    >> self.... Does HL from the eyes of Barney...
    >
    > I just figured that out! Duh! I have Blue Shift, but just hadn't played
    > any of the HL games in so long I didn't recall the Hi-Def pack!

    hmmm....well i got the HD pack to work with HL and OpFor Steam
    versions. it took a bit of messing
    about tho', but it looks so much better.
    all you should have to do is install the HD pack into an empty folder
    somewhere. find the "pak1.pak" file and open it with Pakscape (google
    for it). extract the 'models', 'sound' and 'sprites' folder and place
    them into your "C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user\half-life\Valve" folder.
    overwrite the old files. then when you start up HL through Steam, it
    will be the HD version.
    Sorted!

    "NuQ" wrote

    > I just figured that out! Duh! I have Blue Shift, but just hadn't played
    > any of the HL games in so long I didn't recall the Hi-Def pack!
    BlueShift is NOT compatible with Source
    Unfortunately

    - Peter

    *.pak files are similar to *.zip, but you can't use the same program to
    open them. if you were going to compare them to anything, the Steam
    *.gcf's are basically the same.

    and im not sure about that, not being able to use the HD files in
    HL:Source, 'cos the models are the same, it is the engine that is
    different. Valve said that you could use the old *.mdl files to update
    HL mods to Source, didnt they? i dont have the game, but im sure if
    someone was to look at the files and file structure, it would be
    relatively easy to make a HL:S HD. im not certain tho', maybe someone
    with the game can confirm this for me?

    Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
    > "NuQ" wrote
    >

    >>I just figured that out! Duh! I have Blue Shift, but just hadn't played
    >>any of the HL games in so long I didn't recall the Hi-Def pack!
    >
    > BlueShift is NOT compatible with Source
    > Unfortunately

    <Pedantry> It's not compatible with Steam either </Pedantry> ;)

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    themightyoaktree@gmail.com wrote:
    > find the "pak1.pak" file and open it with Pakscape

    I'm sure I heard soemwhere that .pak was just .zip by another extension...

    On 2 Jan 2005 07:53:37 -0800, themightyoaktree@gmail.com wrote:

    >hmmm....well i got the HD pack to work with HL and OpFor Steam
    >versions. it took a bit of messing
    >about tho', but it looks so much better.
    >all you should have to do is install the HD pack into an empty folder
    >somewhere. find the "pak1.pak" file and open it with Pakscape (google
    >for it). extract the 'models', 'sound' and 'sprites' folder and place
    >them into your "C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user\half-life\Valve" folder.
    >overwrite the old files. then when you start up HL through Steam, it
    >will be the HD version.

    Does it work with HL: Source?

    -----
    Anders Simonsson
    Website: http://hem.bredband.net/b273622/index.html

    Anders Simonsson wrote:
    > On 2 Jan 2005 07:53:37 -0800, themightyoaktree@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >>hmmm....well i got the HD pack to work with HL and OpFor Steam
    >>versions. it took a bit of messing
    >>about tho', but it looks so much better.
    >>all you should have to do is install the HD pack into an empty folder
    >>somewhere. find the "pak1.pak" file and open it with Pakscape (google
    >>for it). extract the 'models', 'sound' and 'sprites' folder and place
    >>them into your "C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\user\half-life\Valve" folder.
    >>overwrite the old files. then when you start up HL through Steam, it
    >>will be the HD version.
    >

    > Does it work with HL: Source?
    >
    > -----
    > Anders Simonsson
    > Website: http://hem.bredband.net/b273622/index.html

    no it won't. since HL:Source uses a completely different graphics engine

    <themightyoaktree@gmail.com> wrote

    > and im not sure about that, not being able to use the HD files in
    > HL:Source, 'cos the models are the same, it is the engine that is
    > different. Valve said that you could use the old *.mdl files to update
    > HL mods to Source, didnt they?

    To an extent - you need the goldsource

    > i dont have the game, but im sure if someone was to look at the files
    > and file structure, it would be relatively easy to make a HL:S HD.
    > im not certain tho', maybe someone with the game can confirm this
    > for me?

    Maybe if you have a decent decompiler for the old HL HD models
    I don't know

    Valve says that if you don't have the goldsource for your models it's pretty
    much easier to start from scratch

    - Peter

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:39:18 GMT, "NuQ" <anon@a.com> wrote:

    >Can one buy just the "new graphics" Source version of the original Half-Life
    >by itself? I know it is offered in one of the HL2 packages, but I
    >pre-ordered a version from EB Games a long time ago, but it wasn't included
    >in the version I bought.

    I don't matter. The game is very little different from the original.

    count zero skrev:

    > I don't matter. The game is very little different from the original.

    Only thing a noticed was lower framerate on my Ti-4200, and PowerStrip
    can't set the AntiAliasing (not on Source games at all, guess they
    just set it back), and then the graphics was worse (no Quincunx AA)

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Games Graphics Video Games