ATi 9600 XT - DVI vs. standard CRT connectors.

My video cable has a break in it, and it's time for replacement. My
LCD monitor and the 9600 both have DVI connectors. Is there any
advantage to DVI cabling? At $50, they're quite a bit more expensive
than standard CRT cable.

Thanks,
Ken

"Budonkadonk" <krob571@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> My video cable has a break in it, and it's time for replacement. My
> LCD monitor and the 9600 both have DVI connectors. Is there any
> advantage to DVI cabling? At $50, they're quite a bit more expensive
> than standard CRT cable.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

Theory says that DVI should give better, more accurate video. With analog
the video signal must be converted to analog, passed down the cable, and
then converted back to digital which feeds the LCD circuitry and these two
complementary conversions must be perfect for everything to work properly.
With DVI the video never has to make the conversion round trip so that
possible source of signal corruption is avoided. In reality you may not be
able to see a major (or any) difference unless you are using test patterns
and analyzing the results with sensitive instruments. But I prefer to use
the DVI if it is available just in case. But then my LCD panel came with
both sorts of cables so I didn't have to shell out $50 to take the high
road.

But there is no reason for YOU to pay $50 either since cheaper cables are
readily available. A quick glance at amazon.com turned up:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067SOL/qid=1086222037/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/002-4795986-8469642?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846 a
link which will undoubtedly have wrapped beyond all recognition. So go to
amazon and do a search for "DVI CABLE" for yourself and you should find one
for around $25 including shipping.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

driven

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

John McGaw wrote:

> Theory says that DVI should give better, more accurate video. With analog
> the video signal must be converted to analog, passed down the cable, and
> then converted back to digital which feeds the LCD circuitry and these two
> complementary conversions must be perfect for everything to work properly.
> With DVI the video never has to make the conversion round trip so that
> possible source of signal corruption is avoided. In reality you may not be
> able to see a major (or any) difference unless you are using test patterns
> and analyzing the results with sensitive instruments. But I prefer to use
> the DVI if it is available just in case. But then my LCD panel came with
> both sorts of cables so I didn't have to shell out $50 to take the high
> road.
>
> But there is no reason for YOU to pay $50 either since cheaper cables are
> readily available. A quick glance at amazon.com turned up:
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067SOL/qid=1086222037/sr=8-2/ref=pd_ka_2/002-4795986-8469642?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846 a
> link which will undoubtedly have wrapped beyond all recognition. So go to
> amazon and do a search for "DVI CABLE" for yourself and you should find one
> for around $25 including shipping.

It took me FOREVER to find a DVI cable that would run from my 9600XT to
my NEC LCD1860NX.

The upgrade was worth it though, subtle, but noticable improvements in
image quality. The image is much more "crisp" now.