Rename Profile?

I have a situation that looks like a corrupted profile. Is there a way i can
rename a profile?

What it the best method for creating a new profile for a user in a domain
enviornment and not chance the loss of data?

Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about rename profile

    Rename the profile of the Domain User.
    For example for the user account named 'lipman'..

    Original profile...
    C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\

    Rename the profile to...
    C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\

    Have the user logon on again and a new profile will be created. If things work correctly,
    have the user logoff. Now you logon as the as the administrator or a user with
    administrative rights and copy the files and directories from...
    C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\

    C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\

    * EXCEPT *
    DON'T COPY - C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\ntuser.*
    Which is the user's Registry which is probably the corrupted aspect.

    --
    Dave

    "Michael McGinley" <michaelfmcginley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | I have a situation that looks like a corrupted profile. Is there a way i can
    | rename a profile?
    |
    | What it the best method for creating a new profile for a user in a domain
    | enviornment and not chance the loss of data?
    |
    | Thanks in advance.

    Thank you very much for your response David!

    Here is my issue, I cannot rename this profile. Even though I am logged in
    as an Admin and a seperate user. It gives an error.

    Probably some Domain Security Policy!

    Thank you again Dave.

    > Rename the profile of the Domain User.
    > For example for the user account named 'lipman'..
    >
    > Original profile...
    > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\
    >
    > Rename the profile to...
    > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\
    >
    > Have the user logon on again and a new profile will be created. If things
    > work correctly,
    > have the user logoff. Now you logon as the as the administrator or a user
    > with
    > administrative rights and copy the files and directories from...
    > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\

    > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\
    >
    > * EXCEPT *
    > DON'T COPY - C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\ntuser.*
    > Which is the user's Registry which is probably the corrupted aspect.
    >

    > --
    > Dave
    >

    > "Michael McGinley" <michaelfmcginley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | I have a situation that looks like a corrupted profile. Is there a way i
    > can
    > | rename a profile?
    > |
    > | What it the best method for creating a new profile for a user in a
    > domain
    > | enviornment and not chance the loss of data?
    > |
    > | Thanks in advance.

    It is either a Policy or a file handle is in use in the user's profile.

    Reboot into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible then try to rename the
    profile.

    Report back the results.

    --

    | Thank you very much for your response David!
    |
    | Here is my issue, I cannot rename this profile. Even though I am logged in
    | as an Admin and a seperate user. It gives an error.
    |
    | Probably some Domain Security Policy!
    |
    | Thank you again Dave.

    | > Rename the profile of the Domain User.
    | > For example for the user account named 'lipman'..
    | >
    | > Original profile...
    | > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\
    | >
    | > Rename the profile to...
    | > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\
    | >
    | > Have the user logon on again and a new profile will be created. If things
    | > work correctly,
    | > have the user logoff. Now you logon as the as the administrator or a user
    | > with
    | > administrative rights and copy the files and directories from...
    | > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\

    | > C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\
    | >
    | > * EXCEPT *
    | > DON'T COPY - C:\Documents and Settings\lipman.bak\ntuser.*
    | > Which is the user's Registry which is probably the corrupted aspect.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "Michael McGinley" <michaelfmcginley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | I have a situation that looks like a corrupted profile. Is there a way i
    | > can
    | > | rename a profile?
    | > |
    | > | What it the best method for creating a new profile for a user in a
    | > domain
    | > | enviornment and not chance the loss of data?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks in advance.
    | > |
    | > |

    > It is either a Policy or a file handle is in use in the user's profile.
    >
    > Reboot into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible then
    > try to rename the
    > profile.
    >
    > Report back the results.
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    Also, try making a copy of that folder with a different name.

    Then delete the profile (Control Panel--> System --> Advanced --> User
    Profiles Settings button)
    Let them log back in, and dump the documents, favorites, desktop icons etc
    back in.

    --
    Colin Nash
    Microsoft MVP