XP-Pro File Password Security

I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a Compaq P4 computer.

I want to be able to require any user (including administrator) to enter a
password in order to access specific sensitive folders and/or files,
regardless what users are logged on.

Right now I've given the Administrator (my user account) permission to
access these sensitive folders and/or files, however, whenever other users
log on, they are denied access.

Unfortunately, this security level is not adequate. Sometimes I need to let
other users log on as an administrator (my user log on) in order to perform
specific tasks; however, I want to prevent them from viewing these sensitive
files.

Any suggestion would be most helpful; however, I really need some
step-by-step guidance.

Thanks,
1 answer Last reply
More about file password security

    Hi Len

    The bottom line is that if you are giving out an Administrators account you
    are giving away the security of the computer! Are REALLY sure you have to
    give the other users Admin rights? How about making them Power Users? From a
    security best practice it is not even a good idea for you to login using an
    admin account unless you are specifically doing a tasks that requires admin
    rights.
    If you do HAVE to do this you might look at storing these files in a
    password protected ZIP file on the computer that way it wouldn't matter who
    you logged in as, if you don't have the ZIP password you are not able to
    open the files.

    I hope that helps a bit.

    BB

    "Len" <Len@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a Compaq P4 computer.
    >
    > I want to be able to require any user (including administrator) to enter a
    > password in order to access specific sensitive folders and/or files,
    > regardless what users are logged on.
    >
    > Right now I've given the Administrator (my user account) permission to
    > access these sensitive folders and/or files, however, whenever other users
    > log on, they are denied access.
    >
    > Unfortunately, this security level is not adequate. Sometimes I need to
    > let
    > other users log on as an administrator (my user log on) in order to
    > perform
    > specific tasks; however, I want to prevent them from viewing these
    > sensitive
    > files.
    >
    > Any suggestion would be most helpful; however, I really need some
    > step-by-step guidance.
    >
    > Thanks,

Security Microsoft Windows XP