Problem with an 9600Pro..

Hi there People:
Well thought this was a good vido card but after a day not even I'm
getting BLACK screen, seems like the monitor looseing connection. It comes
back but then its very distorted and wrong size have it done 4 times this
morning in about 2hrs.. Have checked all setting and everything seems fine..
The system should be able to handel this card, prcess AMD 900. power supply
350amp dual fan. monitor set at 1024x768. windows XP pro have not been able
to find a sight for any updates to drivers. But system say its working
fine.. hmmmmm any help would be Greatly Appriciated..

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:26:58 -0400, "Lightnen"
<lightnenNotHere@mnsi.net> wrote:

>Hi there People:
> Well thought this was a good vido card but after a day not even I'm
>getting BLACK screen, seems like the monitor looseing connection. It comes
>back but then its very distorted and wrong size have it done 4 times this
>morning in about 2hrs.. Have checked all setting and everything seems fine..
>The system should be able to handel this card, prcess AMD 900. power supply
>350amp dual fan. monitor set at 1024x768. windows XP pro have not been able
>to find a sight for any updates to drivers. But system say its working
>fine.. hmmmmm any help would be Greatly Appriciated..

I have a similar problem with the 4.4 and 4.5 drivers. 4.3 works fine
though. What driver are you using and did you make sure to get
completely rid of any drivers you had before getting your 9600 pro?

David

Well according to the ATI properties the drivers a 6.14.10.6422 seems like a
big number but then this is new, I haven't gone to ATI sight to find
anything that is newer than this one prob all disc's are made/stamped out
the same..
I removed or hope I got all the old drivers from my old ATI Furry pro but
then I could have missed one some where.
I'll keep trying, One this I've done is dropped the monitor HTZ down to 72
had pushed it up to 95htz, read somewhere about the 9600 that it's not
recommeded to over clock whether the guy was right or not not sure.. Any
Ideas about that..

"David Kehler" <dkehler33REMOVE@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:26:58 -0400, "Lightnen"
> <lightnenNotHere@mnsi.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi there People:
> > Well thought this was a good vido card but after a day not even I'm
> >getting BLACK screen, seems like the monitor looseing connection. It
comes
> >back but then its very distorted and wrong size have it done 4 times this
> >morning in about 2hrs.. Have checked all setting and everything seems
fine..
> >The system should be able to handel this card, prcess AMD 900. power
supply
> >350amp dual fan. monitor set at 1024x768. windows XP pro have not been
able
> >to find a sight for any updates to drivers. But system say its working
> >fine.. hmmmmm any help would be Greatly Appriciated..
> >

> I have a similar problem with the 4.4 and 4.5 drivers. 4.3 works fine
> though. What driver are you using and did you make sure to get
> completely rid of any drivers you had before getting your 9600 pro?
>
> David

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:26:58 -0400, "Lightnen"
<lightnenNotHere@mnsi.net> wrote:

>Hi there People:
> Well thought this was a good vido card but after a day not even I'm
>getting BLACK screen, seems like the monitor looseing connection. It comes
>back but then its very distorted and wrong size have it done 4 times this
>morning in about 2hrs.. Have checked all setting and everything seems fine..
>The system should be able to handel this card, prcess AMD 900. power supply
>350amp dual fan. monitor set at 1024x768. windows XP pro have not been able
>to find a sight for any updates to drivers. But system say its working
>fine.. hmmmmm any help would be Greatly Appriciated..

Go to http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html for Ati card drivers,
Lightnen, or if you have an OEM card look on your OEM's site as well.
But DO NOT allow XP to look for drivers for you. We see many problems
posted here by people who've done that. In general, when using
Windows update processes, you should install critical updates,
although not without considering them first, only install Windows
updates if you think you need them and they're appropriate, and NEVER
update your drivers that way - except possibly for M$ products.

patrickp

Thanks there Patrickp for the Advice and the helps: Went to the ATI sight
you included in post and found a removeal tool that sees to have worked
GREAT guess I hadden't removed everything like I thought I had.. LOL..
anyways Hopefully this works better.. if the newer vid cards are better than
this 9600xt well don't know what to say for this seems like a great card for
sure..
Anyways Thanks again..

Lightnen
"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:26:58 -0400, "Lightnen"
> <lightnenNotHere@mnsi.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi there People:
> > Well thought this was a good vido card but after a day not even I'm
> >getting BLACK screen, seems like the monitor looseing connection. It
comes
> >back but then its very distorted and wrong size have it done 4 times this
> >morning in about 2hrs.. Have checked all setting and everything seems
fine..
> >The system should be able to handel this card, prcess AMD 900. power
supply
> >350amp dual fan. monitor set at 1024x768. windows XP pro have not been
able
> >to find a sight for any updates to drivers. But system say its working
> >fine.. hmmmmm any help would be Greatly Appriciated..
> >

> Go to http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html for Ati card drivers,
> Lightnen, or if you have an OEM card look on your OEM's site as well.
> But DO NOT allow XP to look for drivers for you. We see many problems
> posted here by people who've done that. In general, when using
> Windows update processes, you should install critical updates,
> although not without considering them first, only install Windows
> updates if you think you need them and they're appropriate, and NEVER
> update your drivers that way - except possibly for M$ products.
>
> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 08:59:34 -0400, "Lightnen"
<lightnenNotHere@mnsi.net> wrote:

>Thanks there Patrickp for the Advice and the helps: Went to the ATI sight
>you included in post and found a removeal tool that sees to have worked
>GREAT guess I hadden't removed everything like I thought I had.. LOL..
>anyways Hopefully this works better.. if the newer vid cards are better than
>this 9600xt well don't know what to say for this seems like a great card for
>sure..
> Anyways Thanks again..
>
> Lightnen

You're welcome, Lightnen. You should know that Ati and NVidia (and
they're not the only manufacturers presenting this problem now) both
have very inadequate driver removal processes: if you look on the
Rage3D forum, for instance, there are threads devoted to cleaning
driver remnants from your system.

But, as you found, the cat-uninstaller utility (I presume that's what
you're referring to?) does a pretty good job for Ati drivers and
software. Generally speaking many people report upgrading their
drivers without uninstalling the previous ones without problems (I
always clean my system before a driver upgrade anyway and would
recommend doing so), but downgrading can be problematic, and changing
brands can be a major headache.

That's right; the 9600 cards are excellent - I have a Sapphire 9600
Pro VIVO myself. The 9700s and 9800s must be really something, and as
for the the new cards coming out now...

>"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:26:58 -0400, "Lightnen"
>> <lightnenNotHere@mnsi.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi there People:
>> > Well thought this was a good vido card but after a day not even I'm
>> >getting BLACK screen, seems like the monitor looseing connection. It
>comes
>> >back but then its very distorted and wrong size have it done 4 times this
>> >morning in about 2hrs.. Have checked all setting and everything seems
>fine..
>> >The system should be able to handel this card, prcess AMD 900. power
>supply
>> >350amp dual fan. monitor set at 1024x768. windows XP pro have not been
>able
>> >to find a sight for any updates to drivers. But system say its working
>> >fine.. hmmmmm any help would be Greatly Appriciated..
>> >

>> Go to http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html for Ati card drivers,
>> Lightnen, or if you have an OEM card look on your OEM's site as well.
>> But DO NOT allow XP to look for drivers for you. We see many problems
>> posted here by people who've done that. In general, when using
>> Windows update processes, you should install critical updates,
>> although not without considering them first, only install Windows
>> updates if you think you need them and they're appropriate, and NEVER
>> update your drivers that way - except possibly for M$ products.
>>
>> patrickp
>>
>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

patrickp

TRENDING THREADS