shawk

Hi all,

have the chance of a very good price on a 'made by' ATI 9800 pro
(128MB/256bit). Currently have the Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro. Does anyone
have a link or a view on the difference between these cards games-wise - ie
a good upgrade or not? (Cant afford the shiny new cards no matter how much
I drool)

Also I can sell the 1yr old 9600 Pro to a keen relative - whats a good (UK)
price for this nowadays?

Cheers, Shaun.

> Hi all,
>
> have the chance of a very good price on a 'made by' ATI 9800 pro
> (128MB/256bit). Currently have the Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro. Does
anyone
> have a link or a view on the difference between these cards games-wise -
ie
> a good upgrade or not? (Cant afford the shiny new cards no matter how
much
> I drool)
>
> Also I can sell the 1yr old 9600 Pro to a keen relative - whats a good
(UK)
> price for this nowadays?
>
> Cheers, Shaun.

9800pro is roughly 30-50% faster than 9600pro assuming that other parts in
your system are
not limiting your system performance.
Also check link below.
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

Juha Suoranta

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Hi all,
>
> have the chance of a very good price on a 'made by' ATI 9800 pro
> (128MB/256bit). Currently have the Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro. Does
anyone
> have a link or a view on the difference between these cards games-wise -
ie
> a good upgrade or not? (Cant afford the shiny new cards no matter how
much
> I drool)
>
> Also I can sell the 1yr old 9600 Pro to a keen relative - whats a good
(UK)
> price for this nowadays?

It'll be 25-30% faster in real world game performance....not 50% as some
have said. Presumably this refers to synthetic benchmarks like 3DMark2003
where a 9600 Pro on a 3Ghz systems typically scores 3400 or so and the 9800
Pro does 5600 or so. But when you look at actual framerates in games, it
does not translate to a 50% increase in performance.

"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in
<1086275830.28133.0@echo.uk.clara.net>:

>Hi all,
>
>have the chance of a very good price on a 'made by' ATI 9800 pro
>(128MB/256bit). Currently have the Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro. Does
>anyone have a link or a view on the difference between these cards
>games-wise - ie a good upgrade or not? (Cant afford the shiny new cards
>no matter how much I drool)
>
>Also I can sell the 1yr old 9600 Pro to a keen relative - whats a good
>(UK) price for this nowadays?
>
>Cheers, Shaun.

`You would go from 128bits memory acces to 256bits, effectively doubling the
"effective possible speed"

Both memory and GPU will be clocked higher
Also you will have 8 pixelpipelines instead of 4

.....lets say you don't go slightly forward..but get a boost beyond your
heighest thoughts, probably your pc is to slow to fully "use" the card..wich
means that you can apply Anti Aliasing or Aniso to high levels without
losing much frames.

"Juha Suoranta" <jms1@jippii.fi> wrote in <S5Ivc.539$yE1.531
@reader1.news.jippii.net>:

>"Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> have the chance of a very good price on a 'made by' ATI 9800 pro
>> (128MB/256bit). Currently have the Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro. Does
>anyone
>> have a link or a view on the difference between these cards games-wise -
>ie
>> a good upgrade or not? (Cant afford the shiny new cards no matter how
>much
>> I drool)
>>
>> Also I can sell the 1yr old 9600 Pro to a keen relative - whats a good
>(UK)
>> price for this nowadays?
>>
>> Cheers, Shaun.
>>
>9800pro is roughly 30-50% faster than 9600pro assuming that other parts in
>your system are
>not limiting your system performance.
>Also check link below.
>http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html
>
>Juha Suoranta

Untill you up the Anti-aliasing and the Aniso .... because the 9600 Pro will
not have the raw power to keep track of the 9800 Pro!

shawk

"Dark Avenger" <no_spam@spamnet.nl> wrote in message
> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in
> <1086275830.28133.0@echo.uk.clara.net>:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >have the chance of a very good price on a 'made by' ATI 9800 pro
> >(128MB/256bit). Currently have the Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro. Does
> >anyone have a link or a view on the difference between these cards
> >games-wise - ie a good upgrade or not? (Cant afford the shiny new cards
> >no matter how much I drool)
> >
> >Also I can sell the 1yr old 9600 Pro to a keen relative - whats a good
> >(UK) price for this nowadays?
> >
> >Cheers, Shaun.
> >

> `You would go from 128bits memory acces to 256bits, effectively doubling
the
> "effective possible speed"
>
> Both memory and GPU will be clocked higher
> Also you will have 8 pixelpipelines instead of 4
>
> ....lets say you don't go slightly forward..but get a boost beyond your
> heighest thoughts, probably your pc is to slow to fully "use" the
card..wich
> means that you can apply Anti Aliasing or Aniso to high levels without
> losing much frames.

Thanks for the replies all - sorry forgot to post basic specs:

NF7-S 2
Barton XP2800+
1GB PC3200 DDR
Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro (Omega 4.4's)
Win XP Pro

Shaun

Shawk wrote:
> "Dark Avenger" <no_spam@spamnet.nl> wrote in message
>> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in
>> <1086275830.28133.0@echo.uk.clara.net>:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> have the chance of a very good price on a 'made by' ATI 9800 pro
>>> (128MB/256bit). Currently have the Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro.
>>> Does anyone have a link or a view on the difference between these
>>> cards games-wise - ie a good upgrade or not? (Cant afford the
>>> shiny new cards no matter how much I drool)
>>>
>>> Also I can sell the 1yr old 9600 Pro to a keen relative - whats a
>>> good (UK) price for this nowadays?
>>>
>>> Cheers, Shaun.
>>>

>> `You would go from 128bits memory acces to 256bits, effectively
>> doubling the "effective possible speed"
>>
>> Both memory and GPU will be clocked higher
>> Also you will have 8 pixelpipelines instead of 4
>>
>> ....lets say you don't go slightly forward..but get a boost beyond
>> your heighest thoughts, probably your pc is to slow to fully "use"
>> the card..wich means that you can apply Anti Aliasing or Aniso to
>> high levels without losing much frames.
>>

> Thanks for the replies all - sorry forgot to post basic specs:
>
> NF7-S 2
> Barton XP2800+
> 1GB PC3200 DDR
> Sapphire Atlantis 9600 Pro (Omega 4.4's)
> Win XP Pro
>
> Shaun

You'll run Far Cry MUCH better, in 1280x1024 with most everything
cranked up. I have a 9800 Pro 128 in a P4 2.66 with 1 gig PC3200, and
with every setting on and highest, it's playable at 1280x1024 :) It
does chug in some instances, like using the binocs or sniperscope with a
lot of foliage in view. But it LOOKS incredible :) Indoor areas no
prob at all, and the detail levels of things is amazing.
McG.

Owna 9600 Pro as well was thinking of upgrading to a 9800 pro, it
would be somthingliek 50% faster or more good card wait a few weeks
then buy it :)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:22:17 +0100, "Shawk"