Can somebody else use my steam-back up file (I'm not talki..

Basically, my friend is serving in the US Army Reserve in Kuwaitt right now.
He has a computer and will be able to have limited internet activity from
what I understand (100 people sharing a 2mbps line!). He also wants to play
HL2! Would it be possible for him to purchase the Silver Edition off
steampowered.com, and simply use my "backup' of HL2 that I made with steam?
I figure it could save him from a somewhat miserable 4GB+ download.

I figure he'd be able to activiate it fine, but if I could just send him the
neccessary files, it might work better for him...then again, maybe he would
download all of it before my DVD got to him anyway ;)

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

I think Newegg will ship to him.

DaveL

Patrick Michael wrote:
> Basically, my friend is serving in the US Army Reserve in Kuwaitt right now.
> He has a computer and will be able to have limited internet activity from
> what I understand (100 people sharing a 2mbps line!). He also wants to play
> HL2! Would it be possible for him to purchase the Silver Edition off
> steampowered.com, and simply use my "backup' of HL2 that I made with steam?
> I figure it could save him from a somewhat miserable 4GB+ download.
>
> I figure he'd be able to activiate it fine, but if I could just send him the
> neccessary files, it might work better for him...then again, maybe he would
> download all of it before my DVD got to him anyway ;)

You would only need to send the .GCF files - these are the bulk
downloads which contain all the game content. GCF files aren't tied to
any particular account, so by all means you should be able to do this.

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

DaveL wrote:

> I think Newegg will ship to him.
>
> DaveL

Way to answer a question.

"Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
> Patrick Michael wrote:
>> Basically, my friend is serving in the US Army Reserve in Kuwaitt right
>> now. He has a computer and will be able to have limited internet activity
>> from what I understand (100 people sharing a 2mbps line!). He also wants
>> to play HL2! Would it be possible for him to purchase the Silver Edition
>> off steampowered.com, and simply use my "backup' of HL2 that I made with
>> steam? I figure it could save him from a somewhat miserable 4GB+
>> download.
>>
>> I figure he'd be able to activiate it fine, but if I could just send him
>> the neccessary files, it might work better for him...then again, maybe he
>> would download all of it before my DVD got to him anyway ;)
>
> You would only need to send the .GCF files - these are the bulk downloads
> which contain all the game content. GCF files aren't tied to any
> particular account, so by all means you should be able to do this.

Thanks. I think I wll just use the backup feature thanks to the
compression.

Ben Cottrell wrote:
> Patrick Michael wrote:
>
>> Basically, my friend is serving in the US Army Reserve in Kuwaitt
>> right now. He has a computer and will be able to have limited internet
>> activity from what I understand (100 people sharing a 2mbps line!).
>> He also wants to play HL2! Would it be possible for him to purchase
>> the Silver Edition off steampowered.com, and simply use my "backup' of
>> HL2 that I made with steam? I figure it could save him from a somewhat
>> miserable 4GB+ download.
>>
>> I figure he'd be able to activiate it fine, but if I could just send
>> him the neccessary files, it might work better for him...then again,
>> maybe he would download all of it before my DVD got to him anyway ;)
>

> You would only need to send the .GCF files - these are the bulk
> downloads which contain all the game content. GCF files aren't tied to
> any particular account, so by all means you should be able to do this.

yeah, all the backup that steam does is to take the gcf and other
account non-specific files and compress it down to make it easier to
burn to CD(s)/DVD(s)

Chris Hawley skrev:

> yeah, all the backup that steam does is to take the gcf and other
> account non-specific files and compress it down to make it easier to
> burn to CD(s)/DVD(s)

Can you backup all games at once, or do you need to select "backup" on
each game to do this (is there a "backup all")? How is the
compression? I used to compress the GCF files using WINZIP.

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
> Chris Hawley skrev:
>
>> yeah, all the backup that steam does is to take the gcf and other
>> account non-specific files and compress it down to make it easier to
>> burn to CD(s)/DVD(s)
>
> Can you backup all games at once, or do you need to select "backup" on
> each game to do this (is there a "backup all")? How is the
> compression? I used to compress the GCF files using WINZIP.
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
> Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Just go in and click "Play Games", right click on any game, and then select
"Backup" and then you can select any games you want backed up individually.
I found all the Source games (HL2, HL1:Source, HL2: Deathmatch, Counter
Strike:Source) fit nicely onto a DVD.