Can somebody else use my steam-back up file (I'm not talki..

Basically, my friend is serving in the US Army Reserve in Kuwaitt right now.
He has a computer and will be able to have limited internet activity from
what I understand (100 people sharing a 2mbps line!). He also wants to play
HL2! Would it be possible for him to purchase the Silver Edition off
steampowered.com, and simply use my "backup' of HL2 that I made with steam?
I figure it could save him from a somewhat miserable 4GB+ download.

I figure he'd be able to activiate it fine, but if I could just send him the
neccessary files, it might work better for him...then again, maybe he would
download all of it before my DVD got to him anyway ;)
7 answers Last reply
More about steam back file talki

    I think Newegg will ship to him.

    DaveL

    Patrick Michael wrote:
    > Basically, my friend is serving in the US Army Reserve in Kuwaitt right now.
    > He has a computer and will be able to have limited internet activity from
    > what I understand (100 people sharing a 2mbps line!). He also wants to play
    > HL2! Would it be possible for him to purchase the Silver Edition off
    > steampowered.com, and simply use my "backup' of HL2 that I made with steam?
    > I figure it could save him from a somewhat miserable 4GB+ download.
    >
    > I figure he'd be able to activiate it fine, but if I could just send him the
    > neccessary files, it might work better for him...then again, maybe he would
    > download all of it before my DVD got to him anyway ;)

    You would only need to send the .GCF files - these are the bulk
    downloads which contain all the game content. GCF files aren't tied to
    any particular account, so by all means you should be able to do this.

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    DaveL wrote:

    > I think Newegg will ship to him.
    >
    > DaveL

    Way to answer a question.

    "Ben Cottrell" <bench@bench333.screaming.net> wrote in message
    > Patrick Michael wrote:
    >> Basically, my friend is serving in the US Army Reserve in Kuwaitt right
    >> now. He has a computer and will be able to have limited internet activity
    >> from what I understand (100 people sharing a 2mbps line!). He also wants
    >> to play HL2! Would it be possible for him to purchase the Silver Edition
    >> off steampowered.com, and simply use my "backup' of HL2 that I made with
    >> steam? I figure it could save him from a somewhat miserable 4GB+
    >> download.
    >>
    >> I figure he'd be able to activiate it fine, but if I could just send him
    >> the neccessary files, it might work better for him...then again, maybe he
    >> would download all of it before my DVD got to him anyway ;)
    >
    > You would only need to send the .GCF files - these are the bulk downloads
    > which contain all the game content. GCF files aren't tied to any
    > particular account, so by all means you should be able to do this.

    Thanks. I think I wll just use the backup feature thanks to the
    compression.

    Ben Cottrell wrote:
    > Patrick Michael wrote:
    >
    >> Basically, my friend is serving in the US Army Reserve in Kuwaitt
    >> right now. He has a computer and will be able to have limited internet
    >> activity from what I understand (100 people sharing a 2mbps line!).
    >> He also wants to play HL2! Would it be possible for him to purchase
    >> the Silver Edition off steampowered.com, and simply use my "backup' of
    >> HL2 that I made with steam? I figure it could save him from a somewhat
    >> miserable 4GB+ download.
    >>
    >> I figure he'd be able to activiate it fine, but if I could just send
    >> him the neccessary files, it might work better for him...then again,
    >> maybe he would download all of it before my DVD got to him anyway ;)
    >

    > You would only need to send the .GCF files - these are the bulk
    > downloads which contain all the game content. GCF files aren't tied to
    > any particular account, so by all means you should be able to do this.

    yeah, all the backup that steam does is to take the gcf and other
    account non-specific files and compress it down to make it easier to
    burn to CD(s)/DVD(s)

    Chris Hawley skrev:

    > yeah, all the backup that steam does is to take the gcf and other
    > account non-specific files and compress it down to make it easier to
    > burn to CD(s)/DVD(s)

    Can you backup all games at once, or do you need to select "backup" on
    each game to do this (is there a "backup all")? How is the
    compression? I used to compress the GCF files using WINZIP.

    --
    Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
    > Chris Hawley skrev:
    >
    >> yeah, all the backup that steam does is to take the gcf and other
    >> account non-specific files and compress it down to make it easier to
    >> burn to CD(s)/DVD(s)
    >
    > Can you backup all games at once, or do you need to select "backup" on
    > each game to do this (is there a "backup all")? How is the
    > compression? I used to compress the GCF files using WINZIP.
    >
    > --
    > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
    > Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

    Just go in and click "Play Games", right click on any game, and then select
    "Backup" and then you can select any games you want backed up individually.
    I found all the Source games (HL2, HL1:Source, HL2: Deathmatch, Counter
    Strike:Source) fit nicely onto a DVD.

Steam Video Games