Compatibility of Power Supplies

The power supply in my Multimedia 7900 recently died and I also have
an old Legand 4610 lying around that has seen better days, but the
power supply apparently still works. Frankly, I've been hearing a lot
of horror stories about Packard Bell proprietary parts and I was just
wondering if I could use that older power supply in the 7900. Are
they compatible? I appreciate any info that anyone could give me.

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about compatibility power supplies
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Give me the serial number from each unit
    and I can tell you
    There may be someone here who knows the model specifics

    "Igor" <thoovler@excite.com> wrote in message
    > The power supply in my Multimedia 7900 recently died and I also have
    > an old Legand 4610 lying around that has seen better days, but the
    > power supply apparently still works. Frankly, I've been hearing a lot
    > of horror stories about Packard Bell proprietary parts and I was just
    > wondering if I could use that older power supply in the 7900. Are
    > they compatible? I appreciate any info that anyone could give me.
    >
    > Thanks
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    For the most part, PB did not use power supplies with proprietary connectors.
    Some PB power supplies have strange shapes. Nearly all PB power supplies have
    an uncomfortably low wattage rating which makes upgrades sometimes
    problematic... Ben Myers

    On 9 Aug 2004 23:32:59 -0700, thoovler@excite.com (Igor) wrote:

    >The power supply in my Multimedia 7900 recently died and I also have
    >an old Legand 4610 lying around that has seen better days, but the
    >power supply apparently still works. Frankly, I've been hearing a lot
    >of horror stories about Packard Bell proprietary parts and I was just
    >wondering if I could use that older power supply in the 7900. Are
    >they compatible? I appreciate any info that anyone could give me.
    >
    >Thanks
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<411907bc.5239835@news.charter.net>...
    > For the most part, PB did not use power supplies with proprietary connectors.
    > Some PB power supplies have strange shapes. Nearly all PB power supplies have
    > an uncomfortably low wattage rating which makes upgrades sometimes
    > problematic... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 9 Aug 2004 23:32:59 -0700, thoovler@excite.com (Igor) wrote:
    >
    > >The power supply in my Multimedia 7900 recently died and I also have
    > >an old Legand 4610 lying around that has seen better days, but the
    > >power supply apparently still works. Frankly, I've been hearing a lot
    > >of horror stories about Packard Bell proprietary parts and I was just
    > >wondering if I could use that older power supply in the 7900. Are
    > >they compatible? I appreciate any info that anyone could give me.
    > >
    > >Thanks

    Well, I finally managed to get into the machines and check them. The
    motherboard connectors aren't even close. Thanks for your replies
    anyway, guys.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Well, then, given PB's track record, one power supply has two (maybe three?)
    connectors to the motherboard, and the other has merely a single connector to a
    double row of pins. The former would be the older AT standard power supply and
    the latter would be ATX. Both are industry standards which allow for
    substitution of non-PB power supplies, as long as the physical form factor is
    the same.

    For testing purposes, it is often sufficient to attach a generic power supply,
    leaving it outside the computer chassis, just to see if the motherboard (and
    peripherals) boot up. This approach allows for isolation of a failed component,
    either power supply or motherboard... Ben Myers

    On 15 Aug 2004 05:30:21 -0700, thoovler@excite.com (Igor) wrote:

    >ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<411907bc.5239835@news.charter.net>...
    >> For the most part, PB did not use power supplies with proprietary connectors.
    >> Some PB power supplies have strange shapes. Nearly all PB power supplies have
    >> an uncomfortably low wattage rating which makes upgrades sometimes
    >> problematic... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On 9 Aug 2004 23:32:59 -0700, thoovler@excite.com (Igor) wrote:
    >>
    >> >The power supply in my Multimedia 7900 recently died and I also have
    >> >an old Legand 4610 lying around that has seen better days, but the
    >> >power supply apparently still works. Frankly, I've been hearing a lot
    >> >of horror stories about Packard Bell proprietary parts and I was just
    >> >wondering if I could use that older power supply in the 7900. Are
    >> >they compatible? I appreciate any info that anyone could give me.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks
    >

    >Well, I finally managed to get into the machines and check them. The
    >motherboard connectors aren't even close. Thanks for your replies
    >anyway, guys.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<411f7a6b.852811@news.charter.net>...
    > Well, then, given PB's track record, one power supply has two (maybe three?)
    > connectors to the motherboard, and the other has merely a single connector to a
    > double row of pins. The former would be the older AT standard power supply and
    > the latter would be ATX. Both are industry standards which allow for
    > substitution of non-PB power supplies, as long as the physical form factor is
    > the same.
    >
    > For testing purposes, it is often sufficient to attach a generic power supply,
    > leaving it outside the computer chassis, just to see if the motherboard (and
    > peripherals) boot up. This approach allows for isolation of a failed component,
    > either power supply or motherboard... Ben Myers

    So, is there any sort of adapter that can allow the AT power supply to
    connect to the ATX connector on the motherboard?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Yes, AT-to-ATX adapters are available and also adapters to provide 12v to a
    Pentium 4 motherboard, but these are last ditch options. ATX power supplies are
    really quite inexpensive... Ben Myers

    On 19 Aug 2004 05:02:19 -0700, thoovler@excite.com (Igor) wrote:

    >ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<411f7a6b.852811@news.charter.net>...
    >> Well, then, given PB's track record, one power supply has two (maybe three?)
    >> connectors to the motherboard, and the other has merely a single connector to a
    >> double row of pins. The former would be the older AT standard power supply and
    >> the latter would be ATX. Both are industry standards which allow for
    >> substitution of non-PB power supplies, as long as the physical form factor is
    >> the same.
    >>
    >> For testing purposes, it is often sufficient to attach a generic power supply,
    >> leaving it outside the computer chassis, just to see if the motherboard (and
    >> peripherals) boot up. This approach allows for isolation of a failed component,
    >> either power supply or motherboard... Ben Myers
    >>

    >So, is there any sort of adapter that can allow the AT power supply to
    >connect to the ATX connector on the motherboard?

Packard Bell Power Supplies Compatibility Computers