Ordering PC parts from America for the UK

Hi All,

Does anyone do this at all? I want the new X800 XT and I'm thinking of
getting it from an American website, is this wise? The card is cheaper on a
lot of the websites I've seen, I've called overclockers.co.uk and they said
the price is going to be £352 and its going to be released the beginning of
next month, my PC is without a graphics card so I would like one soon, I
have looked seriously into buying the X800 Pro and modding it but I don't
have the bottle to do it, in case I f it up, which is entirely possible when
you look at my track record for modding stuff, I royally f'd up my xbox
:-(((

Anyhoo, are there any differences between the American and UK version of the
cards?, common sense tells me there isn't but I could be wrong. And does
anyone know what websites I could order one from who will distribute to the
UK?

Thanks in advance for replies
Shiva

Andrew

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:11:30 +0100, "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone do this at all? I want the new X800 XT and I'm thinking of
>getting it from an American website, is this wise?

Just remember you will probably be charged the UK sales tax by the
courier/postman which will nullify most of the savings.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

<snip>

> Anyhoo, are there any differences between the American and UK version of
the
> cards?, common sense tells me there isn't but I could be wrong. And does
<snip>

Anyhoo!... Anyhoo?? Are you sure you're not a Canadian hiding in the UK?
Speaking of Canada, take a look at this website, the link I'm showing is in
Canadian dollars...
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11900&vpn=100-435211&manufacture=
ATI

It should be just as easy to get it from Canada as it would from the USA.

Cya, Rick

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:11:30 +0100, "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone do this at all? I want the new X800 XT and I'm thinking of
> >getting it from an American website, is this wise?
>
> Just remember you will probably be charged the UK sales tax by the
> courier/postman which will nullify most of the savings.
> --
> Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.

Andrew,
Depending on the item being imported, you may have to pay
import duty (dont know how many % it is for graphics cards), then VAT is
added, then the Postoffice add a small admin charge and you have to collect
the item from your PO sorting office! (to pay the fee) - see this helpful
page - http://www.sloanefox.freeserve.co.uk/importukduty.htm

Dave

Remo-Shiva wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone do this at all? I want the new X800 XT and I'm thinking of
> getting it from an American website, is this wise? The card is cheaper on
> a lot of the websites I've seen, I've called overclockers.co.uk and they
> said the price is going to be £352 and its going to be released the
> beginning of next month, my PC is without a graphics card so I would like
> one soon, I have looked seriously into buying the X800 Pro and modding it
> but I don't have the bottle to do it, in case I f it up, which is
> entirely possible when you look at my track record for modding stuff, I
> royally f'd up my xbox :-(((
>
> Anyhoo, are there any differences between the American and UK version of
> the cards?, common sense tells me there isn't but I could be wrong. And
> does anyone know what websites I could order one from who will distribute
> to the UK?

Given the exchange rate, it's good thinking. Be sure to factor in import
duty... I've seen it arrive nearly 3 months later on other goods (from Hong
Kong).

I'm also wondering if the TVOut will be different, i.e., NTSC rather than
PAL. Don't have a TV hooked up at the mo and don't recall.

Ben

Ben Pope wrote:
> I'm also wondering if the TVOut will be different, i.e., NTSC rather than
> PAL. Don't have a TV hooked up at the mo and don't recall.

I seem to recall that there are ATI branded cards available in the UK -
since ATI don;t make cards for anywhere other than North America, I'd put
your chances of them being the same as pretty high.

Ben

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

"logized" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:11:30 +0100, "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone do this at all? I want the new X800 XT and I'm thinking of
> > >getting it from an American website, is this wise?
> >
> > Just remember you will probably be charged the UK sales tax by the
> > courier/postman which will nullify most of the savings.
> > --
> > Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
> > Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
> > please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
> > Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
>
> Andrew,
> Depending on the item being imported, you may have to pay
> import duty (dont know how many % it is for graphics cards), then VAT is
> added, then the Postoffice add a small admin charge and you have to
collect
> the item from your PO sorting office! (to pay the fee) - see this helpful
> page - http://www.sloanefox.freeserve.co.uk/importukduty.htm
>
> Dave

What TARIC code covers video cards?

"Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in message news:2ibjr9Fkpu8sU1@uni-berlin.de...

> "logized" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message

> > > Just remember you will probably be charged the UK sales tax by the
> > > courier/postman which will nullify most of the savings.
> > > --
> > > Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove
spamtrap.
> > > Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
> > > please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
> > > Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
> >
> > Andrew,
> > Depending on the item being imported, you may have to
pay
> > import duty (dont know how many % it is for graphics cards), then VAT is
> > added, then the Postoffice add a small admin charge and you have to
> collect
> > the item from your PO sorting office! (to pay the fee) - see this
helpful
> > page - http://www.sloanefox.freeserve.co.uk/importukduty.htm
> >
> > Dave
> >

> What TARIC code covers video cards?

Les,
After a bit of searching, I found the import duty classification
guide which lists graphics cards as 8471800000 and the TARIC code lookup
says it is 0% duty.
The guide document is here -
http://www.uktradeinfo.co.uk/classguides/Computers_and_Software_Guide_April_2004.pdf
There is other useful info in there too - such as codes for digital cameras
and camcorders etc.

Dave

Andrew

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:56:39 +0000 (UTC), "logized"
<no-one@nowhere.com> wrote lazily without bothering to trim the
message:

> After a bit of searching, I found the import duty classification
>guide which lists graphics cards as 8471800000 and the TARIC code lookup
>says it is 0% duty.

That list is for businesses who don't have to pay VAT, it is not for
Joe Public.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:56:39 +0000 (UTC), "logized"
> <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote lazily without bothering to trim the
> message:
>
> > After a bit of searching, I found the import duty classification
> >guide which lists graphics cards as 8471800000 and the TARIC code lookup
> >says it is 0% duty.
>
> That list is for businesses who don't have to pay VAT, it is not for
> Joe Public.

Why does that make a difference to Import duty? Aren't VAT and Import Duty
two seperate issues?
--
Les
AMD64 3200+

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 21:26:37 +0100, "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote:

>"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:56:39 +0000 (UTC), "logized"
>> <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote lazily without bothering to trim the
>> message:
>>
>> > After a bit of searching, I found the import duty classification
>> >guide which lists graphics cards as 8471800000 and the TARIC code lookup
>> >says it is 0% duty.
>>
>> That list is for businesses who don't have to pay VAT, it is not for
>> Joe Public.
>
>Why does that make a difference to Import duty? Aren't VAT and Import Duty
>two seperate issues?

I think that I was charged VAT on a pair of Robot Wars speed
controllers posted from the US. The units were not available in the UK
at the time.

One way around this is to have the sender mark them up as a gift (a
common ebay trick).
--

Julian Richards
computer "at" richardsuk.f9.co.uk

XP Home
L7S7A2 motherboard
Powercolor 9800 SE 8 pipelines 438/364 with Omega drivers
1 GB RAM
10 GB + 80 GB HDs
CD+DVD/CDRW drives

Andrew

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:30:00 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
wrote:

>One way around this is to have the sender mark them up as a gift (a
>common ebay trick).

Which most companies won't do, and gifts over a certain cost aren't
exempt from VAT either.

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:33:39 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:30:00 +0100, Julian Richards <see@sig.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>One way around this is to have the sender mark them up as a gift (a
>>common ebay trick).
>
>Which most companies won't do, and gifts over a certain cost aren't
>exempt from VAT either.

Ebayers do it and fake the true costs. How widespread the practice is,
I don't know.

--

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:16:19 +0100, "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Remo-Shiva wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Does anyone do this at all? I want the new X800 XT and I'm thinking of
>> getting it from an American website, is this wise? The card is cheaper on
>> a lot of the websites I've seen, I've called overclockers.co.uk and they
>> said the price is going to be £352 and its going to be released the
>> beginning of next month, my PC is without a graphics card so I would like
>> one soon, I have looked seriously into buying the X800 Pro and modding it
>> but I don't have the bottle to do it, in case I f it up, which is
>> entirely possible when you look at my track record for modding stuff, I
>> royally f'd up my xbox :-(((
>>
>> Anyhoo, are there any differences between the American and UK version of
>> the cards?, common sense tells me there isn't but I could be wrong. And
>> does anyone know what websites I could order one from who will distribute
>> to the UK?
>
>Given the exchange rate, it's good thinking. Be sure to factor in import
>duty... I've seen it arrive nearly 3 months later on other goods (from Hong
>Kong).
>
>I'm also wondering if the TVOut will be different, i.e., NTSC rather than
>PAL. Don't have a TV hooked up at the mo and don't recall.
>
>Ben

AFAIK TV Out is often switchable on Ati videocards; however, AIW cards
are usually either NTSC or PAL/SECAM, so are region specific. VIVO
cards will usually handle all input formats.

Unfortunately, Ati themselves make very few, if any, VIVO versions of
their faster cards now - I think the 9000 or 9200 is the highest range
that have that feature. Many OEMs make faster VIVOs, but then it's
pot luck as to whether their capture chips will work with Ati's MMC
software - usually, I think, not. It really makes you appreciate the
much maligned MMC TV player when you're left looking for alternatives
- it's possible that some of them perform Ok with NTSC, but, in PAL,
the picture qualities seem to range from poor to appalling. The few
that do work Ok with PAL video have terrible interfaces. ;-(

patrickp