Allow a user to share files

We need some expert advice. Who knows of any way to allow a normal user to
share files without putting them in the "power users" or "administrators"
group. Group Policy? Registry hack? User rights?

Thanks

If you setup a "shared" folder for them, then any "files" deposited in the
"folder" will be shared.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

"John M" <john.f.mannarino@usace.army.mil> wrote in message
> We need some expert advice. Who knows of any way to allow a normal user to
> share files without putting them in the "power users" or "administrators"
> group. Group Policy? Registry hack? User rights?
>
> Thanks

I have about 5 computers on a peer to peer network. Say they are called A,
B, C , D , E - I want A & B to be able to share the resource but not C, D &
E. The moment you share a resource it becomes available to everyone. This
was very conviniently done under win 98 but in Win XP pro there is no way of
assigning individual passwords to resources even with Simple File Sharing
disabled.

"Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:u1OWc7z$EHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> If you setup a "shared" folder for them, then any "files" deposited in the
> "folder" will be shared.
>
> --
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
>

> "John M" <john.f.mannarino@usace.army.mil> wrote in message
> > We need some expert advice. Who knows of any way to allow a normal user
> > share files without putting them in the "power users" or
"administrators"
> > group. Group Policy? Registry hack? User rights?
> >
> > Thanks

Malke

Shweta Manchanda wrote:

> I have about 5 computers on a peer to peer network. Say they are
> called A, B, C , D , E - I want A & B to be able to share the resource
> but not C, D & E. The moment you share a resource it becomes available
> to everyone. This was very conviniently done under win 98 but in Win
> XP pro there is no way of assigning individual passwords to resources
> even with Simple File Sharing disabled.

Since you mention disabling Simple File Sharing, I gather you have XP
Pro. Create user groups with specific permissions to shares. Create the
permissions using the Group Policy Editor. Assign the users you want to
the new groups.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell