System Restore

Nasty hijack program prevents me from predating system restore to a date
prevoius to the unwanted download.
1 answer Last reply
More about system restore

    annamcelrath@bellsouth.net wrote:

    > Nasty hijack program prevents me from predating system restore to a

    Clean up the computer. Here are malware removal steps. Do everything
    with updated tools in Safe Mode.

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2003)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix (or WinSockFix for XP which you
    can get from MajorGeeks) - see links below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore because malware will be in the Restore Points. With ME, you
    must disable System Restore completely. With XP, you can delete all but
    the most recent (presumably clean) System Restore point from the More
    Options section of Disk Cleanup (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.majorgeeks.com - good download site
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
    removing spyware

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://forum.aumha.org/
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

    General:
    http://forum.aumha.org/ - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

Download Hijack System Restore Security Microsoft Windows XP