The Source SDK and XSI for HL2

Ok, I have the Source SDK installed and apparently working. I keep
seeing stuff to go get XSI:EXP for HL2, but when I get there, it gives
me the download button, but then I get this Steam message "Coming Soon!"
anyone got XSI already? it's only 161 megs. I think I have an older
version from a year ago, when it was first released for HL2. But I
doubt it will integrate with the SDK as it is now. I guess what I'm
asking is how do I GET the current XSI?
McG.

"McGrandpa" wrote

> Ok, I have the Source SDK installed and apparently working. I keep seeing
> stuff to go get XSI:EXP for HL2, but when I get there, it gives me the
> download button, but then I get this Steam message "Coming Soon!" anyone
> got XSI already?

F...king steam :)
Get it directly from softimage
It's called XSI Mod Tool btw (Foundation 4.2)
You also need an addin for HL2 get it from Softimage as well
This addin give you the import/export *.smd and *.vmf + a little more

Maybe we can join in on some discussion in aghl.editing?
I have spent most of the xmas vacation trying to grasp the meaning of this
darn program :)
Totally new into this 3d modelling business - but done a bit in Hammer

If you need tutorials :)
hl2world has wome floating around
http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Source_Tutorials

Their forum is kindof disabled as you can register but never get an email to
activate
Oh well - maybe due to vacation or something
I'll send them an email later today :)

And here is another for n00bs like me
http://www.joespataro.com/html/props_tut_xsi.htm

HTH - Peter

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "McGrandpa" wrote
>
>> Ok, I have the Source SDK installed and apparently working. I keep
>> seeing stuff to go get XSI:EXP for HL2, but when I get there, it
>> gives me the download button, but then I get this Steam message
>> "Coming Soon!" anyone got XSI already?
>
> F...king steam :)
> Get it directly from softimage
> It's called XSI Mod Tool btw (Foundation 4.2)
> You also need an addin for HL2 get it from Softimage as well
> This addin give you the import/export *.smd and *.vmf + a little more
>
> Maybe we can join in on some discussion in aghl.editing?
> I have spent most of the xmas vacation trying to grasp the meaning of
> this darn program :)
> Totally new into this 3d modelling business - but done a bit in Hammer
>
> If you need tutorials :)
> hl2world has wome floating around
> http://www.hl2world.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Source_Tutorials
>
> Their forum is kindof disabled as you can register but never get an
> email to activate
> Oh well - maybe due to vacation or something
> I'll send them an email later today :)
>
> And here is another for n00bs like me
> http://www.joespataro.com/html/props_tut_xsi.htm
>
> HTH - Peter

I've tried every kind of button at the XSI site to get anything related
to HL2 and I keep getting the STEAM - Coming Soon! tag for the dl
server location. In other words, nothing. I'll mess with the buttons
some more :)
I'll see ya in 'editing Peter
McG.

"McGrandpa"

> I've tried every kind of button at the XSI site to get anything related to
> HL2 and I keep getting the STEAM - Coming Soon! tag for the dl server
> location. In other words, nothing. I'll mess with the buttons some more
> :)

Hmm?
http://www.softimage.com/products/Mod/v4/default.asp?pg=http://www.softimage.com/products/Mod/v42/downloads/

- Peter

Peter Lykkegaard wrote:
> "McGrandpa" wrote
>
>> Ok, I have the Source SDK installed and apparently working. I keep
>> seeing stuff to go get XSI:EXP for HL2, but when I get there, it
>> gives me the download button, but then I get this Steam message
>> "Coming Soon!" anyone got XSI already?
>
> F...king steam :)
> Get it directly from softimage
> It's called XSI Mod Tool btw (Foundation 4.2)
> You also need an addin for HL2 get it from Softimage as well
> This addin give you the import/export *.smd and *.vmf + a little more

Are you sure they are the same thing? Before the release of HL2 version 3.5
of XSI specifically for HL2 was released.

They latest thing they are calling the "Mod Tool" instead. Is it actually
version 4.2 of XSI? Is it a stripped down version of 4.2 specifically for
HL2 just like the previous 3.5 release?

I have both (the 3.5 release and the 4.2 "Mod Tool" release) and I've been
wondering when the time comes if I need to install them BOTH, or if the 4.2
"Mod Tool" replaces the earlier HL2 specific 3.5 release.

"Toe Jam" wrote

> I have both (the 3.5 release and the 4.2 "Mod Tool" release) and I've been
> wondering when the time comes if I need to install them BOTH, or if the
> 4.2
> "Mod Tool" replaces the earlier HL2 specific 3.5 release.

Afaik the "Mod Tool" is The Thing

- Peter