I can't delete ANY file that has the word SETUP in it!

Tags:
  • Security
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
a b 8 Security
January 20, 2005 12:59:03 PM

Okay, just when I thought I've seen it all...
With my logon on our network, (I have full admin priveledges)
I (from any PC, XP, Win98, 2000) cannot delete any
file that has the word SETUP in it.

SETUP
SETUP.EXE
COPY OF SETUP.EXE
etc.....

I get a message that says:
Window: ERROR DELETING FILE OR FOLDER
Message: Cannot delete setup file. It is being used by another person or
program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.
=OK=

Is this not the strangest thing you've ever seen?
This happens with any SETUP file I have on my local drive OR network drive.
If I have someone else log in, they can delete my files just fine.

I'm stumped....

More about : delete file word setup

January 22, 2005 5:33:54 AM

Dave Grams wrote:

> Okay, just when I thought I've seen it all...
> With my logon on our network, (I have full admin priveledges)
> I (from any PC, XP, Win98, 2000) cannot delete any
> file that has the word SETUP in it.
>
> SETUP
> SETUP.EXE
> COPY OF SETUP.EXE
> etc.....
>
> I get a message that says:
> Window: ERROR DELETING FILE OR FOLDER
> Message: Cannot delete setup file. It is being used by another person
> or
> program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try
> again. =OK=
>
> Is this not the strangest thing you've ever seen?
> This happens with any SETUP file I have on my local drive OR network
> drive. If I have someone else log in, they can delete my files just
> fine.
>
> I'm stumped....

What does a scan with a current antivirus (version no earlier than 2003)
using updated definitions show? Do the scan in Safe Mode.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Try unlocker visit google.com.ph then search unlocker then download it after downloading run it at your desktop afrter that right click on the Setup then click unlocker after clicking unlocker you can see if that setup is locked look at the no action the put delete then press ctrl and hold your mouse then click the locked files then click ok...It works..
!