how is a 9700 to a 9800 pro in performance

how close is the 9700 pro to a 9800 pro in performance is there a big gap?

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> how close is the 9700 pro to a 9800 pro in performance is there a big gap?

About 10% according to most of the benching I've seen. They're still an
excellent card.

lee

Well looking at this table from Tomshardware.com:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html
The only 2 differences are the GPU and RAM speeds the 9800 pro has an extra
55Mhz on the GPU and 80Mhz on the ram.

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:34:29 GMT, "wired and confused"
<johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote:

>:>how close is the 9700 pro to a 9800 pro in performance is there a big gap?
>:>

-----
Lee.

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 22:04:41 GMT, Lee
<leecomp@REMOVETHISblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Well looking at this table from Tomshardware.com:
>http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html
>The only 2 differences are the GPU and RAM speeds the 9800 pro has an extra
>55Mhz on the GPU and 80Mhz on the ram.

wrong, they use different GPU's. There are differences in their
function, although I'm not exactly sure what they are off hand.

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love

The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is. If you want to play newer games
you'll want the 9800.

--
DaveW

"wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> how close is the 9700 pro to a 9800 pro in performance is there a big gap?

driven

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

DaveW wrote:
> The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is. If you want to play newer games
> you'll want the 9800.

The 9700 is absolutely DX9 capable.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is. If you want to play newer
games
> you'll want the 9800.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who screws up sometime. 9700 series all
fully DX9. 9700 Pro has an RV300 GPU, the 9800 has RV350. Different
transistor count, architecture. And like I said, about 8-10% slower.

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> > The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is. If you want to play newer
> games
> > you'll want the 9800.
> >

> Glad to see I'm not the only one who screws up sometime. 9700 series all
> fully DX9. 9700 Pro has an RV300 GPU, the 9800 has RV350. Different
> transistor count, architecture. And like I said, about 8-10% slower.

Actually the 9700Pro is easily overclocked to 9800Pro speeds
(Core=378 Mem=337.5)

One real difference is the 9700Pro is 1.1 Pixel Shader and the
9800Pro is 2.0; there may be other differences but they seem to
have little if any impact on what the card can run.

Luck;
Ken

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 20:12:37 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> > The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is. If you want to play newer
>> games
>> > you'll want the 9800.
>> >

>> Glad to see I'm not the only one who screws up sometime. 9700 series all
>> fully DX9. 9700 Pro has an RV300 GPU, the 9800 has RV350. Different
>> transistor count, architecture. And like I said, about 8-10% slower.
>>

> Actually the 9700Pro is easily overclocked to 9800Pro speeds
>(Core=378 Mem=337.5)
>
> One real difference is the 9700Pro is 1.1 Pixel Shader and the
>9800Pro is 2.0; there may be other differences but they seem to
>have little if any impact on what the card can run.
>
>Luck;
> Ken

If you're talking about smartshader the 9700pro is 2.0 to

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

> The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable.

Say what now? If it were not DirectX9 capable I would not be able to
complete the DX9 tests in 3dmark 03 would I?

Please explain.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Actually the 9700Pro is easily overclocked to 9800Pro speeds
> (Core=378 Mem=337.5)
>
> One real difference is the 9700Pro is 1.1 Pixel Shader and the
> 9800Pro is 2.0; there may be other differences but they seem to
> have little if any impact on what the card can run.
>
> Luck;

True, but if you overclock the 9800 Pro by the same amount it's still about
10% faster. A person who overclocks will overclock everything....even an
9800XT. So the 9700 Pro is still going to be a bit slower. I'd be perfectly
happy with either.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> Glad to see I'm not the only one who screws up sometime. 9700 series all
> fully DX9. 9700 Pro has an RV300 GPU, the 9800 has RV350. Different
> transistor count, architecture. And like I said, about 8-10% slower.

And I screwed up here....that should read R300 and R350....the RV350 is the
9600 core.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 23:09:23 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is. If you want to play newer games
>you'll want the 9800.

I've corrected you already on this matter. The 9700 PRO is a Direct X
9 capable card, the first as a mater of fact.

Pluvious

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 20:12:37 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> > The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is. If you want to play newer
>> games
>> > you'll want the 9800.
>> >

>> Glad to see I'm not the only one who screws up sometime. 9700 series all
>> fully DX9. 9700 Pro has an RV300 GPU, the 9800 has RV350. Different
>> transistor count, architecture. And like I said, about 8-10% slower.
>>

> Actually the 9700Pro is easily overclocked to 9800Pro speeds
>(Core=378 Mem=337.5)
>
> One real difference is the 9700Pro is 1.1 Pixel Shader and the
>9800Pro is 2.0; there may be other differences but they seem to
>have little if any impact on what the card can run.
>
>Luck;
> Ken

The drivers I use enable Pixel Shader 2.0. Omega's 4.5's. And my
overclock is currently 378/324. The difference is minor between the
9700 and 9800.

Pluvious

Augustus wrote:

>> Glad to see I'm not the only one who screws up sometime. 9700 series all
>> fully DX9. 9700 Pro has an RV300 GPU, the 9800 has RV350. Different
>> transistor count, architecture. And like I said, about 8-10% slower.
>
> And I screwed up here....that should read R300 and R350....the RV350 is
> the 9600 core.

Not really a different architecture. Just an added feature--they increased
the instruction depth for the pixel shader.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

FWIW, if you review DaveW's posting history you'll find that he didn't
"screw up", he's either trolling or denser than concrete because he's been
corrected on this point hundreds of times and continues to post this
garbage. Sometimes I think he's a bot set up to autoreply to posts
containing "9700" and "DX9" with his message.

Augustus wrote:

> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is. If you want to play newer
> games
>> you'll want the 9800.
>>

> Glad to see I'm not the only one who screws up sometime. 9700 series all
> fully DX9. 9700 Pro has an RV300 GPU, the 9800 has RV350. Different
> transistor count, architecture. And like I said, about 8-10% slower.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is.

--
DaveW

"wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> how close is the 9700 pro to a 9800 pro in performance is there a big gap?

Not true in any way. The 9700 was one of the first DX9 compatible video
cards put out.

Don Burnette

DaveW wrote:
> The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is.
>

> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> how close is the 9700 pro to a 9800 pro in performance is there a
>> big gap?

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 23:16:58 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is.

You're just being stupid now.

Pluvious

> The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is.
>
> --
> DaveW

OMG, roflmao!! Come on DaveW!! One more time!!

Let's see....um... 9700 9800 DX9 ...Will that get the auto reply?

> The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > how close is the 9700 pro to a 9800 pro in performance is there a big
gap?

http://mirror.ati.com/products/radeon9700/radeon9700pro/specs.html

Features

Eight parallel rendering pipelines
Four parallel geometry engines
256-bit DDR memory interface
AGP 8X support
SMARTSHADERT 2.0
Programmable pixel and vertex shaders
16 textures per pass
Pixel shaders up to 160 instructions with 128-bit floating point
precision
Vertex shaders up to 1024 instructions with flow control
Multiple render target support
Shadow volume rendering acceleration
High precision 10-bit per channel frame buffer support
Supports DirectX® 9.0 and the latest version of OpenGL®

"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message news:<KH6xc.18462$Sw.15673@attbi_s51>...
> The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is.
>
> --
> DaveW

You again? It must be truly lonely to be you!

As everybody nowadays know, not only did the 9700 serie does DX9 ..it
also does it better then most of the FX series :)

Oops. Sorry guys. I just realised i've been talking bollocks about the
capabilities of the 9700 all this time. LOL!

Once again, sorry people. I have successfully extracted my head from my arse
and stopped overclocking my brain cell.

> The 9700 is NOT DX9 capable. The 9800 is. If you want to play newer
games
> you'll want the 9800.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > how close is the 9700 pro to a 9800 pro in performance is there a big
gap?

Andrew

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:31:12 +0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>Oops. Sorry guys. I just realised i've been talking bollocks about the
>capabilities of the 9700 all this time. LOL!

Its a shame it has taken you about a year of people telling you that
you were wrong before you bothered to work out why.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:31:12 +0800, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>Oops. Sorry guys. I just realised i've been talking bollocks about the
>capabilities of the 9700 all this time. LOL!
>
>Once again, sorry people. I have successfully extracted my head from my arse
>and stopped overclocking my brain cell.

And I apologize for going off on ya then. You can imagine how
frustrating it was to keep having to correct you when you would keep
posting that. :)

Its all good.

Pluvious