tomcruise

Distinguished
May 28, 2002

DEAR SIR,

There is problem on SP2 firewall. I had tried to download Imesh5 and
bearshare program into my c drive. After installing the programs, I had went
to the fireware security center to take out the program in the exception
area. only bearshare apprear in the exception area for the firewall. I had
uncheck that.

I had tried to run this two software, I did not choose to share any of my
files in the C drive, But I am shock to find that Imesh5 can able to get my
files thru my firewall which I didn't allow them to do that. Is it normal ?
Is all P2P software can able to get pass firewall?

How safe to use this type of program? I assure that as long as I am using
antivirus and firewall, I am pretty safe. But I think I doubt it. I have
another sygate firewall running in the background, but imesh 5 still able to
serach my harddisk and upload my files to the web. why?

Pls advice.

Thanks

The XP firewall primarily only blocks inbound connections. What Sygate
blocks depends on how you have configured it, but I would be surprised if
the default settings blocked outbound connections until you manually
configure these.

Most file sharing clients can still share most files just fine using
outbound connections alone. [Often, if one person is using a firewall, all
is fine, but if both people are using a firewall, the download will fail and
the software will try to download from another computer not running a
firewall.]

I would have to search www.google.com for the specific security risks of
Imesh. Generally the largest security risks of file sharing software
include that 1) you may have accidentally shared sensitive files or your
entire hard drive, 2) the RIAA or MPAA may be searching your hard drive for
illegal files in order to sue you, 3) some file sharing networks are full of
viruses, due to people who accidentally execute a .VBS file that they think
is an .MP3 file, 4) some shared media files can abuse Windows Media Player
DRM to direct your computer to download spyware or adware from an
advertizing web site. Some software might also have vulnerabilities from
time to time that may allow attackers to run commands to control your
computer.