PCI slot - Fan coolers.

Hello all:

I'm planning on O/C my 9500 pro and bought a PCI slot "AGP" cooler. I've
installed it and noticed an immediate drop in case temps : )

My question is:

I've installed it in the PCI slot directly below the Vid card and I figure
that since the two fans are more or less "fighting" for the same air, both
fans must work harder than they normally would. I wanted to make sure that
it doesn't interfere or shorten the life span of the actual Vid card fan.

Should I drop the addon fan to the next PCI slot?

Derek
14 answers Last reply
More about slot coolers

    Derek wrote:
    > Hello all:
    >
    > I'm planning on O/C my 9500 pro and bought a PCI slot "AGP" cooler. I've
    > installed it and noticed an immediate drop in case temps : )
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > I've installed it in the PCI slot directly below the Vid card and I figure
    > that since the two fans are more or less "fighting" for the same air, both
    > fans must work harder than they normally would. I wanted to make sure that
    > it doesn't interfere or shorten the life span of the actual Vid card fan.
    >
    > Should I drop the addon fan to the next PCI slot?
    >
    > Derek

    I have been using one with my 9700 Pro since it came out and have never
    had any problems. It was needed in my case as a lot of 3D games were
    crashing after 15 minutes and the video card was almost too hot to touch.

    Actually, the vid card fan is doing LESS work. Here is how. Your pci fan
    blows air on the agp, thus air is more dense below agp. So your vid fan card
    is now moving more air per cycle, than before.
    It is very cheap and effective way to increase cooling.

    "Derek" <bob@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all:
    >
    > I'm planning on O/C my 9500 pro and bought a PCI slot "AGP" cooler. I've
    > installed it and noticed an immediate drop in case temps : )
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > I've installed it in the PCI slot directly below the Vid card and I figure
    > that since the two fans are more or less "fighting" for the same air, both
    > fans must work harder than they normally would. I wanted to make sure
    that
    > it doesn't interfere or shorten the life span of the actual Vid card fan.
    >
    > Should I drop the addon fan to the next PCI slot?
    >
    > Derek

    Some PCI slot coolers exhaust air from the case (instead of blowing air into
    the case) in which case the below wouldn't be true.

    >Actually, the vid card fan is doing LESS work. Here is how. Your pci fan
    >blows air on the agp, thus air is more dense below agp. So your vid fan card
    >is now moving more air per cycle, than before.
    >It is very cheap and effective way to increase cooling.

    Hello:

    I should have specified that the PCI fan exhausts from the case.

    Derek

    "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    > Some PCI slot coolers exhaust air from the case (instead of blowing air
    into
    > the case) in which case the below wouldn't be true.
    >
    > >Actually, the vid card fan is doing LESS work. Here is how. Your pci fan
    > >blows air on the agp, thus air is more dense below agp. So your vid fan
    card
    > >is now moving more air per cycle, than before.
    > >It is very cheap and effective way to increase cooling.
    > >

    > -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    If it's directly next to the GPU fan wont it exhaust hot air from the area
    next to the VC to outside the case - that's got to be a good thing surely??

    BillL
    > Hello:
    >
    > I should have specified that the PCI fan exhausts from the case.
    >
    > Derek
    >

    > "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    >> Some PCI slot coolers exhaust air from the case (instead of blowing air
    > into
    >> the case) in which case the below wouldn't be true.
    >>
    >> >Actually, the vid card fan is doing LESS work. Here is how. Your pci fan
    >> >blows air on the agp, thus air is more dense below agp. So your vid fan
    > card
    >> >is now moving more air per cycle, than before.
    >> >It is very cheap and effective way to increase cooling.
    >> >

    >> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 00:52:18 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
    <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >Derek wrote:
    >> Hello all:
    >>
    >> I'm planning on O/C my 9500 pro and bought a PCI slot "AGP" cooler. I've
    >> installed it and noticed an immediate drop in case temps : )
    >>
    >> My question is:
    >>
    >> I've installed it in the PCI slot directly below the Vid card and I figure
    >> that since the two fans are more or less "fighting" for the same air, both
    >> fans must work harder than they normally would. I wanted to make sure that
    >> it doesn't interfere or shorten the life span of the actual Vid card fan.
    >>
    >> Should I drop the addon fan to the next PCI slot?
    >>
    >> Derek
    >>

    >I have been using one with my 9700 Pro since it came out and have never
    >had any problems. It was needed in my case as a lot of 3D games were
    >crashing after 15 minutes and the video card was almost too hot to touch.

    A good case would resove that issue. But not all cases are that good
    ;)

    Darthy wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 00:52:18 GMT, "Michael W. Ryder"
    > <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Derek wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello all:
    >>>
    >>>I'm planning on O/C my 9500 pro and bought a PCI slot "AGP" cooler. I've
    >>>installed it and noticed an immediate drop in case temps : )
    >>>
    >>>My question is:
    >>>
    >>>I've installed it in the PCI slot directly below the Vid card and I figure
    >>>that since the two fans are more or less "fighting" for the same air, both
    >>>fans must work harder than they normally would. I wanted to make sure that
    >>>it doesn't interfere or shorten the life span of the actual Vid card fan.
    >>>
    >>>Should I drop the addon fan to the next PCI slot?
    >>>
    >>>Derek
    >>>

    >>I have been using one with my 9700 Pro since it came out and have never
    >>had any problems. It was needed in my case as a lot of 3D games were
    >>crashing after 15 minutes and the video card was almost too hot to touch.
    >

    > A good case would resove that issue. But not all cases are that good
    > ;)

    I don't know if that is necessarily true. With PCI cards being upside
    down so that all the hot parts and the fan are below the card there is
    no easy way to move the hot air away from the card without an exhaust
    fan in the area. If all GPU, heat sinks and fan were above the card so
    that the normal air flow would move the air to the rear exhaust fan your
    statement would be true, but that is not how PCI cards are made.
    Maybe with a properly placed side fan exhausting the area, but the PCI
    slot fan was cheaper and easier to implement.

    "Derek" <bob@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all:
    >
    > I'm planning on O/C my 9500 pro and bought a PCI slot "AGP" cooler. I've
    > installed it and noticed an immediate drop in case temps : )
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > I've installed it in the PCI slot directly below the Vid card and I figure
    > that since the two fans are more or less "fighting" for the same air, both
    > fans must work harder than they normally would. I wanted to make sure
    that
    > it doesn't interfere or shorten the life span of the actual Vid card fan.
    >
    > Should I drop the addon fan to the next PCI slot?
    >
    > Derek

    I tried an Antec slot fan leaving an extra pci slot between a 9800 pro and
    the fan. The case temperature did not change so I removed the fan. Based
    on your results I will try it next to the agp slot next time I open the
    case.

    I do not recall the gpu load during this test. But the gpu temp is going to
    change significantly under heavy load so that's the condition under which
    you should be making the measurements.

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:49:27 GMT, "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    .. n o> wrote/replied to:

    >Actually, the vid card fan is doing LESS work. Here is how. Your pci fan
    >blows air on the agp, thus air is more dense below agp. So your vid fan card
    >is now moving more air per cycle, than before.
    >It is very cheap and effective way to increase cooling.

    No, the slot fans blow air out of the case. The 9800 fan blow air away
    from the card. Therefore the slot fan will take that air directly out
    the case. Both fans will work normally .

    "Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Darthy wrote:
    > I don't know if that is necessarily true. With PCI cards being upside
    > down so that all the hot parts and the fan are below the card there is
    > no easy way to move the hot air away from the card without an exhaust
    > fan in the area. If all GPU, heat sinks and fan were above the card so
    > that the normal air flow would move the air to the rear exhaust fan your
    > statement would be true, but that is not how PCI cards are made.
    > Maybe with a properly placed side fan exhausting the area, but the PCI
    > slot fan was cheaper and easier to implement.

    It is true. In thermodynamics, a heatsink that faces down, has lowest
    efficiency.
    Facing upward is good, but vertical position (air on both sides) is best. I
    think the last was the INTENDED position of pci (and agp) cards when the ATX
    was created. Remember original idea was to have desktop chassis (lying down
    on desk) hence all cards would be in vertical position..
    Too sad, the towers just about killed the cooling.

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:23:30 GMT, "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    .. n o> wrote:

    >"Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> Darthy wrote:
    >> I don't know if that is necessarily true. With PCI cards being upside
    >> down so that all the hot parts and the fan are below the card there is
    >> no easy way to move the hot air away from the card without an exhaust
    >> fan in the area. If all GPU, heat sinks and fan were above the card so
    >> that the normal air flow would move the air to the rear exhaust fan your
    >> statement would be true, but that is not how PCI cards are made.
    >> Maybe with a properly placed side fan exhausting the area, but the PCI
    >> slot fan was cheaper and easier to implement.
    >
    >It is true. In thermodynamics, a heatsink that faces down, has lowest
    >efficiency.
    >Facing upward is good, but vertical position (air on both sides) is best. I
    >think the last was the INTENDED position of pci (and agp) cards when the ATX
    >was created. Remember original idea was to have desktop chassis (lying down
    >on desk) hence all cards would be in vertical position..
    >Too sad, the towers just about killed the cooling.

    I guess it's down to whatever bright spark decided to mount the mobo
    on the right side of the case and access it from the left, rather than
    the other way round.

    That would also put the CPU (usually) at the bottom rather than the
    top of the board, where it should be cooler (certainly with good
    throughflow of air), and a big heatsink could be supported and
    wouldn't have problems fouling the PSU. And that's quite apart from
    having the heatsinks on top of the cards! Brilliant decision, eh?

    patrickp

    I've got the fan card that's twin fans facing the AGP card.

    Doesn't get any heat out of the case, but HAMMERS the AGP card pretty
    good when you turn it up. There's a slider for speed control, but I
    hooked it up to a fan speed controller that allows me to turn it off
    completely when I'm not playing games.

    I'd figure it would be a bad thing because both fans would be drawing air from
    the same location and, if they're directly opposite to each other, reducing
    the air flow that either fan gets by applying forces in directly opposite
    directions.

    >If it's directly next to the GPU fan wont it exhaust hot air from the area
    >next to the VC to outside the case - that's got to be a good thing surely??
    >
    >BillL

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:12:12 +0100, patrickp <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:23:30 GMT, "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
    >. n o> wrote:
    >

    >>"Michael W. Ryder" <mwryder@_worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >>> Darthy wrote:
    >>> I don't know if that is necessarily true. With PCI cards being upside
    >>> down so that all the hot parts and the fan are below the card there is
    >>> no easy way to move the hot air away from the card without an exhaust
    >>> fan in the area. If all GPU, heat sinks and fan were above the card so
    >>> that the normal air flow would move the air to the rear exhaust fan your
    >>> statement would be true, but that is not how PCI cards are made.
    >>> Maybe with a properly placed side fan exhausting the area, but the PCI
    >>> slot fan was cheaper and easier to implement.
    >>
    >>It is true. In thermodynamics, a heatsink that faces down, has lowest
    >>efficiency.
    >>Facing upward is good, but vertical position (air on both sides) is best. I
    >>think the last was the INTENDED position of pci (and agp) cards when the ATX
    >>was created. Remember original idea was to have desktop chassis (lying down
    >>on desk) hence all cards would be in vertical position..
    >>Too sad, the towers just about killed the cooling.
    >>

    >I guess it's down to whatever bright spark decided to mount the mobo
    >on the right side of the case and access it from the left, rather than
    >the other way round.

    That would be intel who did the ATX spec. Remember, mobos were
    originally designed for DESKTOP computers in which the CPU pointed up
    and the expansion cards were vertacle, rather than to the side. When
    they went with PCI/AGP, the reversed the cards to "point down" for
    some odd reason, I think to allow a PCI & ISA slot share the same area
    (otherwise you would lose a slot)

    BTX flips the board around.

    >That would also put the CPU (usually) at the bottom rather than the
    >top of the board, where it should be cooler (certainly with good
    >throughflow of air), and a big heatsink could be supported and
    >wouldn't have problems fouling the PSU. And that's quite apart from
    >having the heatsinks on top of the cards! Brilliant decision, eh?

    BTX again... the PSU is generally still on top, with the expansion
    cards.... With INTEL making very HOT cpus (more than AMD) the new
    design was needed.

    - - - - -
    Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

    - 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
    - White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)
    God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

Radeon Cooling PCI Fan Graphics