RADEON 4.5 Drivers Creating Artifacts Under Windows 2000

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I upgraded last week to the latest ATI RADEON drivers for Windows 2000, ATI
version 4.5. When playing FS2004 on dual monitors, each at 2048x1536x32,
I am seeing bizarre flashes of artifacts on the screen. Objects within
the cockpit appear projected and enlarged on slanted surfaces that simply
appear and disappear, obscuring my view of the cockpit and the outside
virtual cockpit view as well. From any view I get the same problem.
Viewing the aircraft from outside, the wing will disappear and dozens of
overlapping projected flat surfaces will appear where the airplane is, then
quickly disappear.

Is this a known bug, and what is the workaround?

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in
message news:K7GdnWqvieqtXF7dRVn2uQ@giganews.com...
> I upgraded last week to the latest ATI RADEON drivers for Windows 2000,
ATI
> version 4.5. When playing FS2004 on dual monitors, each at
2048x1536x32,
> I am seeing bizarre flashes of artifacts on the screen. Objects within
> the cockpit appear projected and enlarged on slanted surfaces that simply
> appear and disappear, obscuring my view of the cockpit and the outside
> virtual cockpit view as well. From any view I get the same problem.
> Viewing the aircraft from outside, the wing will disappear and dozens of
> overlapping projected flat surfaces will appear where the airplane is,
then
> quickly disappear.
>
> Is this a known bug, and what is the workaround?

Roll back the driver to whatever you had before, which presumably works.
I've run into this kind of stuff before and I am very reluctant to upgrade
Catalysts that work well without artifacting or crashng for me. I was forced
to upgrade to the 4.4's to run a new game and although it looks OK, my
3DMark 03 score went down by 25%. So back to the 3.7's after I get tired of
Thief Deadly Shadows....

CHANGE USERNAME TO westes wrote:
> I upgraded last week to the latest ATI RADEON drivers for Windows 2000, ATI
> version 4.5. When playing FS2004 on dual monitors, each at 2048x1536x32,
> I am seeing bizarre flashes of artifacts on the screen. Objects within
> the cockpit appear projected and enlarged on slanted surfaces that simply
> appear and disappear, obscuring my view of the cockpit and the outside
> virtual cockpit view as well. From any view I get the same problem.
> Viewing the aircraft from outside, the wing will disappear and dozens of
> overlapping projected flat surfaces will appear where the airplane is, then
> quickly disappear.
>
> Is this a known bug, and what is the workaround?

The message is:
Never touch a running system!
Personally I'm running Catalyst 4.1 (Vers. 6.14.10.6414) because it is
the first version for me, not causing trouble in FS9 and some other
applications the same time. My second test case is Sports Car GT that
my son had installed, causing blue flickers with nearly all Catalyst.
--
Regards
Axel

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

As an update to my original post, I uninstalled 4.5 and upgraded to 4.6.
The same problem is happening, but it is at least now correcting itself
after some time. In 4.5, once corrupted the display would permanently stay
that way. In 4.6, the corruption happens for 5 to 20 seconds, then it goes
away, and it stays in a cycle like that.

You can see this in FS2004 flying the Mooney at 2048x1536x32 with Catalyst
4.6 and a RADEON 9800 Pro. I'm using Compaq Professional Workstation
W8000.

--
Will
westes AT earthbroadcast.com

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in
message news:K7GdnWqvieqtXF7dRVn2uQ@giganews.com...
> I upgraded last week to the latest ATI RADEON drivers for Windows 2000,
ATI
> version 4.5. When playing FS2004 on dual monitors, each at
2048x1536x32,
> I am seeing bizarre flashes of artifacts on the screen. Objects within
> the cockpit appear projected and enlarged on slanted surfaces that simply
> appear and disappear, obscuring my view of the cockpit and the outside
> virtual cockpit view as well. From any view I get the same problem.
> Viewing the aircraft from outside, the wing will disappear and dozens of
> overlapping projected flat surfaces will appear where the airplane is,
then
> quickly disappear.
>
> Is this a known bug, and what is the workaround?
>
> --
> Will
> westes AT earthbroadcast.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I'm wondering if you are running FS2004 at too high a resolution. The
textures at that resolution are quite large and the memory on a 128 meg
video card might have trouble handling it. Lower the resolution to 1024x768
and turn on AA at 4X and Anistropic filtering to 8X and see what happens.
You should still get a very decent picture with those settings and your
video card will breath easier.

JK

"CHANGE USERNAME TO westes" <DELETE_westes@earthbroadcast.com> wrote in
message news:MbqdncFgT8v-kUvdRVn2sw@giganews.com...