Massive slow-down after 30 mins on Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 7, 2004 12:58:19 PM

I recently purchased a new Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card
for my PC.

Initially after installing it I was extremely impressed with it. UT2004 ran
at 1280x1024 with all the details up with a very smooth frame rate. However
after I'd been playing for about half an hour the frame rate suddenly
plummeted to just 12 FPS, making the game unplayable. Restarting the game or
the PC didn't make any difference and other software was affected too.

I tried again this morning, leaving the game to play itself. Again after
about 30 minutes of smooth play the slow down happened again.

Can anyone suggest what might be causing this? I wonder if it's a heat issue
(the air coming from the back of my PC is fairly warm) but would hope that a
new card would have sufficient cooling for this not to be a problem? It's
very frustrating anyway so I'd really appreciate any suggestions that anyone
can offer.

My PC is running an AMD 2400XP CPU on an Epox 8RDA+ motherboard, and I have
DX9 and the latest Catalyst drivers installed.

Many thanks,

--

Adam.
Anonymous

It does indeed sound like a heat issue. IMHO, the cooling that comes stock
on the 9800 is no more than the minimum the factory could get away with. If
possile, try to set up a fan to blow directly on the card, or change the
cooling system to a better after market cooling solution.

You may also want to make sure that you are not suffering from a memory leak
due to anapplication that is hogging system resources.
"Adam Dawes" <dawes@editracknospamplease.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a new Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 Pro graphics card
> for my PC.
>
> Initially after installing it I was extremely impressed with it. UT2004
> ran
> at 1280x1024 with all the details up with a very smooth frame rate.
> However
> after I'd been playing for about half an hour the frame rate suddenly
> plummeted to just 12 FPS, making the game unplayable. Restarting the game
> or
> the PC didn't make any difference and other software was affected too.
>
> I tried again this morning, leaving the game to play itself. Again after
> about 30 minutes of smooth play the slow down happened again.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be causing this? I wonder if it's a heat
> issue
> (the air coming from the back of my PC is fairly warm) but would hope that
> new card would have sufficient cooling for this not to be a problem? It's
> very frustrating anyway so I'd really appreciate any suggestions that
> anyone
> can offer.
>
> My PC is running an AMD 2400XP CPU on an Epox 8RDA+ motherboard, and I
> have
> DX9 and the latest Catalyst drivers installed.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> --
>
> Adam.

Anonymous
June 7, 2004 2:22:32 PM

George Skuse wrote:
> It does indeed sound like a heat issue. IMHO, the cooling that comes
> stock on the 9800 is no more than the minimum the factory could get
> away with. If possile, try to set up a fan to blow directly on the
> card, or change the cooling system to a better after market cooling
> solution.

Thanks for your suggestions George. Can you (or anyone) recommend an after
market cooling solution that I could investigate?

Are other models of the 9800 Pro likely to be more stable that the Sapphire
Atlantis?

And finally, are there are utilities available that would let me check the
temperature of the graphics card? I don't know whether the hardware supports
this, but if it does it would help me to determine that the problem really
is with overheating.

Many thanks,

--

Adam.
June 7, 2004 3:45:54 PM

> George Skuse wrote:
> > It does indeed sound like a heat issue. IMHO, the cooling that comes
> > stock on the 9800 is no more than the minimum the factory could get
> > away with. If possile, try to set up a fan to blow directly on the
> > card, or change the cooling system to a better after market cooling
> > solution.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions George. Can you (or anyone) recommend an after
> market cooling solution that I could investigate?
>
> Are other models of the 9800 Pro likely to be more stable that the
Sapphire
> Atlantis?
>
> And finally, are there are utilities available that would let me check the
> temperature of the graphics card? I don't know whether the hardware
supports
> this, but if it does it would help me to determine that the problem really
> is with overheating.
>
> Many hanks,
>
> Adam.

Low tech, but I personally would open up the case and direct a desk fan at
the graphics card while repeating the game test.
If that improved the situation then pop in one these
http://www.sochilled.co.uk/product.asp?item=515
or similar.
HTH,
Laurence
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 3:56:15 PM

"Adam Dawes" <dawes@editracknospamplease.com> wrote in message
> George Skuse wrote:
>> It does indeed sound like a heat issue. IMHO, the cooling that comes
>> stock on the 9800 is no more than the minimum the factory could get
>> away with. If possile, try to set up a fan to blow directly on the
>> card, or change the cooling system to a better after market cooling
>> solution.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions George. Can you (or anyone) recommend an after
> market cooling solution that I could investigate?
>
> Are other models of the 9800 Pro likely to be more stable that the
> Sapphire
> Atlantis?
>
> And finally, are there are utilities available that would let me check the
> temperature of the graphics card? I don't know whether the hardware
> supports
> this, but if it does it would help me to determine that the problem really
> is with overheating.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> --
>
> Adam.

This is a good VGA cooler.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
What are your CPU and case temperatures? Do you have MBM5 installed?
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
What is your operating system? How much RAM have you got?
I am not very experienced. I have heard VGA heat resulting in artifacts
and/or freezes and crashes. But, not decreased fps!
I believe only 9800XT and 9600XT have the hardware capability of monitoring
the GPU temperature, not 9800 pro.
You can check your GPU core and DDR clock rates with this free utility.
http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1&su...
You can over/under-clock your GPU core and DDR with this free utility.
http://atitool.ocfaq.com/
I don't know anything about AMDs. Does your cpu provide throttling when too
hot, like Pentium 4s?
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 4:46:24 PM

> Low tech, but I personally would open up the case and direct a desk
> fan at the graphics card while repeating the game test.
> If that improved the situation then pop in one these
> http://www.sochilled.co.uk/product.asp?item=515
> or similar.

I'll have to try it this evening and see it it makes a difference.

And thanks for pointing out that fan (and indeed that whole web site),
that's MUCH better than the approach I was considering if it does turn out
to be a heat problem. ;-)

--

Adam.
Anonymous

Navid wrote:

> This is a good VGA cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

Thanks for that -- I'm in the UK but the site that Laurence Wilmer mentioned
has this product too so I'll have a look on there.

> What are your CPU and case temperatures? Do you have MBM5 installed?

I can't tell you offhand but I'll check tonight.

> What is your operating system? How much RAM have you got?

Win XP Pro with 512MB DDR400 RAM.

> I am not very experienced. I have heard VGA heat resulting in
> artifacts and/or freezes and crashes. But, not decreased fps!

I know, I was thinking along these lines too but don't know what else it
could be. If everything went back to normal after a reboot I'd assume it to
be a software problem (not that it ever slowed down on my previous card, an
nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200) but the continued slow performance has made me think
that heat is the likely cause.

I wondered if the heat was causing the card to throttle its performance or
to simply stop working properly. If it's not the heat than I can only
imagine it's a faulty card. I'll experiment with the case open tonight,
anyway.

> I don't know anything about AMDs. Does your cpu provide throttling
> when too hot, like Pentium 4s?

I believe all the motherboard does it sound an alarm if it gets too hot, not
aware of anything else. I've left the alarm temperature threshhold settings
at their default values and it's never made a sound so far.

Thanks once again for all the helpful links. :)

--

Adam.
June 7, 2004 6:17:13 PM

Adam Dawes wrote:
>> Low tech, but I personally would open up the case and direct a desk
>> fan at the graphics card while repeating the game test.
>> If that improved the situation then pop in one these
>> http://www.sochilled.co.uk/product.asp?item=515
>> or similar.
>
> I'll have to try it this evening and see it it makes a difference.
>
> And thanks for pointing out that fan (and indeed that whole web site),
> that's MUCH better than the approach I was considering if it does
> turn out to be a heat problem. ;-)

I'm suffering simmilar probs with te hotter weather arriving and have just
ordered vga silencer.It replaces your existing gfx card fan (which lets face
it they aren't much cop and aren't even fitted very well) and it exhausts
the hot air out of the back of your pc like the blower from sochilled,anyway
see for your self and check out some reviews they seem to be highly
recommended

Try http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?...
and theres a version 3 as well so check manufacturers website to see if v1
will fit your card,i think it should but check anyway.
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 6:17:14 PM

John wrote:
> I'm suffering simmilar probs with te hotter weather arriving and have
> just ordered vga silencer.

This product does look interesting, and for UKP7 it's not going to be a
fortune wasted even it it doesn't fit...

I'm curious to know, are you having the same problems as me (large drops in
frame rate) as opposed to complete crashes, and have these problems only
started in the last week or two now that the UK finally has sight of the sun
for a bit?

--

Adam.
June 7, 2004 9:32:25 PM

Adam Dawes wrote:
> John wrote:
>> I'm suffering simmilar probs with te hotter weather arriving and have
>> just ordered vga silencer.
>
> This product does look interesting, and for UKP7 it's not going to be
> a fortune wasted even it it doesn't fit...
>
> I'm curious to know, are you having the same problems as me (large
> drops in frame rate) as opposed to complete crashes, and have these
> problems only started in the last week or two now that the UK finally
> has sight of the sun for a bit?

My case and cpu temps rose abit after changing from a gf4 to a saphire
9800 pro but the room in which comps are in has really got warm these last
few weeks and i've been getting crashs/lockups and slow/stuttering
performance.
After examing the gfx card it wasn't to hard to spot the cooler isn't
much good so i decided to order the vga cooler,hopefully here tommorrow so
i'll see if its much better,it can't be any worse.
I really want to avoid adding loads of case fans and if the cooler is as
descent as they say it is then getting some heat out from the gfx card can
only be a good thing and like you say for £7 it won't be the most money ever
wasted trying to achieve this.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 2:31:11 AM

John wrote:
> After examing the gfx card it wasn't to hard to spot the cooler
> isn't much good so i decided to order the vga cooler,hopefully here
> tommorrow so i'll see if its much better,it can't be any worse.

Please let me know how you get on with this, it looks like a good solution
it it works and is easy to fit.

--

Adam.
www.adamdawes.com

Laurence Wilmer wrote:
> Low tech, but I personally would open up the case and direct a desk
> fan at the graphics card while repeating the game test.

Just been trying this and I managed to play for an hour with no slow-down at
all. Without the case open/desk fan it was dropping down to 30fps after
about 10 minutes and 12fps by 30 mins, so it does look like it's a heat
problem.

At initial power on, my system was registering a CPU temp of 33C and system
temp of 31C (it's too hot here today!). After using the system just in
Windows (no accelerated graphics) for 45 minutes this had risen to CPU @ 56C
and system temp @ 47C (with the case still on). Is this excessively hot?

I then played UT2004 for 30 minutes until the frame rate dropped back to
12fps and checked the temp again. It had only barely risen from before, to
CPU @ 58C and system at 48C.

With the case open and desk fan active, the temps are CPU @ 39C, system @
35C, this after an hour of UT2004.

Gotta get me one of those heat extractors I think.

--

Adam.
www.adamdawes.com

begin 666 smile.gif
M1TE&.#EA#P`/`)$!`````+^_O___`````"'Y! $```$`+ `````/``\```(N
MC V9QY$"X6(@6GGJO0!)+3RA$XDA:&Y6JGXMIX$K%G,8^2EE]G:4?&ID%+Y#
#`0`[
`
end
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 3:41:25 AM

"Adam Dawes" <adam@adamdawesnospamplease.com> wrote in message
> Laurence Wilmer wrote:
>> Low tech, but I personally would open up the case and direct a desk
>> fan at the graphics card while repeating the game test.
>
> Just been trying this and I managed to play for an hour with no slow-down
> at
> all. Without the case open/desk fan it was dropping down to 30fps after
> about 10 minutes and 12fps by 30 mins, so it does look like it's a heat
> problem.
>
> At initial power on, my system was registering a CPU temp of 33C and
> system
> temp of 31C (it's too hot here today!). After using the system just in
> Windows (no accelerated graphics) for 45 minutes this had risen to CPU @
> 56C
> and system temp @ 47C (with the case still on). Is this excessively hot?
>
> I then played UT2004 for 30 minutes until the frame rate dropped back to
> 12fps and checked the temp again. It had only barely risen from before, to
> CPU @ 58C and system at 48C.
>
> With the case open and desk fan active, the temps are CPU @ 39C, system @
> 35C, this after an hour of UT2004.
>
> Gotta get me one of those heat extractors I think.
>
> --
>
> Adam.
> www.adamdawes.com

It may be the CPU throttling. Since you did not have this problem with your
older graphics card, it suggests that your new card generates more heat than
the older one. But, it is the CPU that heats up (because of the high case
temperature) and slows down its clock to avoid overheating. I still am not
sure that the AMD CPUs have throttling or not. If they do, this may be what
is happening. If they don't, I don't see how a 9800 pro would detect heat
and automatically reduce the clock rate. I have never heard that before.

What kind of CPU heat sink do you have? Can you increase the RPM of the
fan? Do you have an exhaust fan in your case other than the power supply
fan?
June 8, 2004 3:41:26 AM

In article <F27xc.10713$wH4.790031@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
nospam@nospam.invalid says...

> "Adam Dawes" <adam@adamdawesnospamplease.com> wrote in message
> > Laurence Wilmer wrote:
> >> Low tech, but I personally would open up the case and direct a desk
> >> fan at the graphics card while repeating the game test.
> >
> > Just been trying this and I managed to play for an hour with no slow-down
> > at
> > all. Without the case open/desk fan it was dropping down to 30fps after
> > about 10 minutes and 12fps by 30 mins, so it does look like it's a heat
> > problem.
> >
> > At initial power on, my system was registering a CPU temp of 33C and
> > system
> > temp of 31C (it's too hot here today!). After using the system just in
> > Windows (no accelerated graphics) for 45 minutes this had risen to CPU @
> > 56C
> > and system temp @ 47C (with the case still on). Is this excessively hot?
> >
> > I then played UT2004 for 30 minutes until the frame rate dropped back to
> > 12fps and checked the temp again. It had only barely risen from before, to
> > CPU @ 58C and system at 48C.
> >
> > With the case open and desk fan active, the temps are CPU @ 39C, system @
> > 35C, this after an hour of UT2004.
> >
> > Gotta get me one of those heat extractors I think.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Adam.
> > www.adamdawes.com
>
> It may be the CPU throttling. Since you did not have this problem with your
> older graphics card, it suggests that your new card generates more heat than
> the older one. But, it is the CPU that heats up (because of the high case
> temperature) and slows down its clock to avoid overheating. I still am not
> sure that the AMD CPUs have throttling or not.

<snip>

The motherboard may be capable of throttling down the CPU if the
temps get high, I know mine can, Abit NF7-S.

Bill
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 2:01:43 PM

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:59:09 +0000 (UTC), "Adam Dawes"
<dawes@editracknospamplease.com> wrote/replied to:

>I know, I was thinking along these lines too but don't know what else it
>could be. If everything went back to normal after a reboot I'd assume it to
>be a software problem (not that it ever slowed down on my previous card, an
>nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200) but the continued slow performance has made me think
>that heat is the likely cause.

CPU overheat causes the FPS stuttering, not video card. You will see
weird graphics glitches when it overheats.

>I wondered if the heat was causing the card to throttle its performance or
>to simply stop working properly. If it's not the heat than I can only
>imagine it's a faulty card. I'll experiment with the case open tonight,
>anyway.
>
>> I don't know anything about AMDs. Does your cpu provide throttling
>> when too hot, like Pentium 4s?
>
>I believe all the motherboard does it sound an alarm if it gets too hot, not
>aware of anything else. I've left the alarm temperature threshhold settings
>at their default values and it's never made a sound so far.

But the default for most of the alarms is likely 70 degrees C.

55 C. should be a high limit for a P4 cpu.

Go to 1 gig memory immediately. That may cure your problem, but you
must put some fans in your case. One intake at lower front and one
beside the 9800 card.
June 10, 2004 8:06:59 PM

Adam Dawes wrote:
> Please let me know how you get on with this, it looks like a good
> solution it it works and is easy to fit.

Seems to work much better than the standard one,my stuttering seems to be
fixed*touch wood*,case temps are down and cpu temp has dropped slightly as a
result also.It's also very quiet.It looks good

Fitting was a doodle.Full easy to follow instructions were included and
every thing u need.

The standard hs/fan litterally dropped off so there was no wonder it was
getting warm coupled with the onset of warmer weather it was just getting to
hot.

Well worth the price tbh.

Conns are it takes up the pci slot below agp slot
June 13, 2004 12:36:39 PM

what case are you using?

I scanned through your post and didn't see it. you would figure that a
company would use a few different cases to check the QC on cooling
solutions, but alas they couldn't possibly cover all possibilities.

"Adam Dawes" <dawes@editracknospamplease.com> wrote in message
> I recently purchased a new Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 Pro
graphics card
> for my PC.
>
> Initially after installing it I was extremely impressed with it.
UT2004 ran
> at 1280x1024 with all the details up with a very smooth frame rate.
However
> after I'd been playing for about half an hour the frame rate
suddenly
> plummeted to just 12 FPS, making the game unplayable. Restarting the
game or
> the PC didn't make any difference and other software was affected
too.

> I tried again this morning, leaving the game to play itself. Again
after
> about 30 minutes of smooth play the slow down happened again.
>
> Can anyone suggest what might be causing this? I wonder if it's a
heat issue
> (the air coming from the back of my PC is fairly warm) but would
hope that a
> new card would have sufficient cooling for this not to be a problem?
It's
> very frustrating anyway so I'd really appreciate any suggestions
that anyone
> can offer.
>
> My PC is running an AMD 2400XP CPU on an Epox 8RDA+ motherboard, and
I have
> DX9 and the latest Catalyst drivers installed.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> --
>
> Adam.

Anonymous
June 13, 2004 8:01:09 PM

Apple is already using liquid cooling on its dual-processor systems. And
these systems are targeted toward the average user and graphics
professional, not gamer. It will be just a matter of time.

"dotnetman" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I wonder at what point the PC/gaming industry will be forced to water
cooled
> solutions to solve these heat problems with ever increasing speed/heat
devices?
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 6:57:10 PM

I'm sure Apple do a lot of things, but it would increase the cost of the PC
as well as increasing the risk of component failure. Water cooling just
means more things to break down.
Perhaps you haven't noticed but plenty of people do not have heat issues, so
I think producers are far more likely to redesign components to deal with
heat rather than just bung a water cooler on it.

!