georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
I was told by a fella at one of the local computer shops that if you had a drive formatted in fat32 instead of NTFS then it would run some of the software win xp has trouble running. like old games that were desigend for win 98.

anybody know if this is true?

guess I need a second hard drive and I could find out for myself.

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Yeah, he either didn't know what he was talking about or he just didn't explain it very well.

With a fat32 drive while you are in windows you still won't be able to play those games. You can however boot from a floppy and go play your dos games that way, and you need fat32 in order to see your drive after you boot from the floppy.

You could also make your computer dual-boot with XP and 98 and boot to 98 for those few games that need it. If you make both partitions fat32 then you will be able to see both partitions in 98 and XP. If you make XP NTFS and 98 fat32 then XP can see both, but 98 will only be able to see the fat32 partition.

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Actually my copy of leisure suit larry DOES NOT RUN ON NTFS, yet if I move it to a FAT32 partition, XP plays it fine.

So, please appologize for kicking that poor guy in the nuts... he's partially right, but we're talking OOOOOOOOLLLLLDDDDD GAMES.

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Interesting, I can play Leisure Suit Larry 1-3 on XP with Fat32, but LSL 5 and 6 won't play, I think they want direct access to the sound hardware, and XP won't give it to them.

But that is good to know Esso, I still think the computer tech is getting off easy. Heheh.

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
interesting, so I need to go out and get myself a second drive and find out myself. I was planning on getting a new drive sometime in the future anyway.

thank you for your input

I tried all the LSL games on my PC and they ran just fine... some of the old DOS ones even had sound! *GASP*!

And yes, my drive is NTFS.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
yes, some older DOS games still run fine on NTFS, and other's won't.

You technicall don't need another drive, just make a small partition in your current one.